Stevenkelby's Super V build thread.

Danny Richie

Re: Stevenkelby's Super V build thread.
« Reply #40 on: 12 Mar 2010, 11:19 pm »
Steven,

Everything else that you needed left out of here today.

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #41 on: 12 Mar 2010, 11:35 pm »
Awesome thanks Danny :)

Bear

« Reply #42 on: 26 Mar 2010, 09:44 pm »
Any pics yet Steven? :drool:

jdbrian

« Reply #43 on: 27 Mar 2010, 02:22 pm »
Thanks, yep I was planning to run 1 set of wires from the amp to the sub amp enclosure, then to the Super V.

Might do it a little different but that's the idea :)

No worries on any off topic talk, I like, please continue!

Hi Steven

If you are going to the high level ins I would go first to the SuperV then to the sub amps. The sub amp inputs will be high impedance and will not need heavy cable.  This will also give you a shorter more direct run to the SuperV.

Brian

stevenkelby

« Reply #44 on: 28 Mar 2010, 03:12 pm »
Any pics yet Steven? :drool:

Nothing happening yet, too busy till after Easter sadly. Haven't even checked all the wood is there!

Thanks for the advice jdbrian, will do that :)

Danny Richie

« Reply #45 on: 7 May 2010, 02:12 am »
You guys are not going to believe this one. I am so aggravated about it that I am posting about it. 

Steven,

You are going to HATE this one.

I have had a hell of a time trying to get this thing to you.

Since this was going all the way to Australia I wanted to make sure it got there all in one piece and safe and sound. So I built a wood create for this stuff. All the sides were nailed and screwed but the top was just screwed on (with 12 sheet rock screws).

Steve was getting two modified P-Audio drivers for the upper section of the Super-V, all the crossover parts, and 3 sheets of No Rez.

In addition to 1.5" foam insolation the No Rez was also used as packing material to insure an nice soft ride.

So the plan was that I UPS this thing to Dallas to DB Schenker, as they are handling all of the overseas freight, but they won't pick it up. Thus, UPS in the picture.

So UPS picks this up on the 12th of March. UPS tracking number 1ZE793700343795137

UPS took it to DB Schenker's freight forwarder Bluesky Land Express. They then took it to California to Vanguard Logistics:

Schenker ref: 4552000039
Booking#: CHI/LGB/C28625
Vessel: ANL Binburra v. 89
Cut-Off (DAL): 03/15/10
ETD (LAX): 03/29/10
ETA (MEL): 04/18/10

Funny thing though is about 5 or 6 days after it was picked up by UPS, one of the modified P-Audio woofers, that was in the create headed for Australia, shows back up at GR Research. UPS delivered it to me as it still had the old UPS shipping label on it from when it was sent to me from the US distributor.

I knew that was at one time in a wood create headed for Australia....

So I called DB Schenker and had them trace it. It was in California and it last weighed 96 pounds. It weighed 150 pounds when UPS picked it up. So I knew it was not only missing this 41 pound driver but possibly other stuff as well.

So I had them put a hold on it and tried to get UPS to pick it up and bring it back here for my inspection.

A week or so later, it is still not here. So I call UPS to check on it. They had still not picked it up from Vanguard Logistics because it had been marked (accidentally) as not fit for shipping or something (damaged).

So they corrected and change the information to "ready for pick up", but another week or more later it has still not been picked up.

I rant and rave again and they tell me that a claim was filed and that it will be returned to Blue Sky land Express (NOT to me). So we then had to get that corrected and try again to get it picked up and sent to me.

Meanwhile the UPS claims department has contacted me about the claim and is refusing to cover the cost of anything because it was picked up and sent somewhere via another carrier before a report was filed. Even though UPS was the one that returned missing pieces from the create via an old UPS label....

So two days ago I was on the phone again with UPS looking for the return of the package and this time to my local rep that has been very helpful in the past.

Today the create finally showed back up. It has taken some hits and most of the screws to the top were missing. One end was partially pulled off as well.

So I open it up and not only is it missing that one P-Audio driver but also some of the parts and packing material.

Then one of the boxes that contained the parts had been cut open then re-taped with clear tape. I always seal every package with "GR Research" printed tape so that we can tell when someone has been into a box.

So someone has been in that one.

Then I check the box with the P-Audio driver. The funning thing is that the GR Research tape is on the sides but not over the top of the box. The box had been opened and re-sealed with clear packing tape.

So I cut the clear tape and open the two outer flaps up, and there on the inside two flaps is the rest of the GR Research tape that sealed the box.

So this box had been opened and riffled through too...

So I check the woofer and it's okay. All is fine, but the clear tape that I had put over the modified open back has had some fingers pressing on it and the tape protecting it was broken on one side.

Fortunately the tweeter dome had no visible prints on it.

Now I have to figure out what else is missing and start this all over again.

Sorry Steve. I promise to get it to you eventually.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #46 on: 7 May 2010, 02:46 am »
Sounds like the UPS warehouse guy was trying to figure out what brown could do for him.   :lol:

HT cOz

« Reply #47 on: 7 May 2010, 03:53 am »
I'm sorry Danny.

UPS destroyed the RS-750 you modded and get this. They left one speaker with the buyer and refused to insure the pair that I had paid to insure. Only one is damaged and you shipped two items, sir. What?!?!

Took 8 months to pay on top of all that.

I lost my tail on that! 

Anyway I'm a UPS hater now.

stevenkelby

« Reply #48 on: 7 May 2010, 06:41 am »
WOW that sucks.

Don't worry though Danny, I know it's not your fault and you're doing all you can.

I feel sorry you have to go through all this, I know exactly what it's like for you and it's truly infuriating.

It's worse for you than for me.

I know you'll get them to me eventually, thanks for all your hard work.

Can't wait to hear them!

Take care,

Steve

tasar

« Reply #49 on: 7 May 2010, 12:49 pm »
Danny, thanks for reminding me why I picked my super V components up in Iowa Park ! Any proprietor stating he uses UPS is a red flag for me. In my previous life , we shipped lots, electric motors mostly. Have you guys ever visited one of their distribution centers ? Conveyor systems with 180 degree turns and NO guards !! Use your imagination, guys ! A class action took care of them !  :roll:

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #50 on: 7 May 2010, 01:41 pm »
I ship stuff via fedex and ups all of the time and it's been my experience that the only time ups seems to take care of stuff is when it's business to business.  Otherwise you can just cross your fingers and hope.

I really prefer fedex as I can remember one time in the last 6 years that they messed up a package.  And fedex ground is very competitive with ups ground in pricing.

For international shipping I use fedex as well.  It costs a lot but again they tend to take better care of the packages.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #51 on: 7 May 2010, 05:37 pm »
I really prefer fedex as I can remember one time in the last 6 years that they messed up a package.  And fedex ground is very competitive with ups ground in pricing.

...and the debate will continue similar to Ford Vs. Chevy.

Last week we had a tool ($350k) shipped FedEx from MI and it was lost.  The label was ripped off and then the package which was in a pelican style case was riffled through.  Finally it was located and delivered.  Talk about puckering...

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #52 on: 7 May 2010, 06:01 pm »
Sticking a label on a fancy metal case is almost asking for trouble.  I would've boxed that case to make it less conspicuous.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #53 on: 7 May 2010, 06:45 pm »
Sticking a label on a fancy metal case is almost asking for trouble.  I would've boxed that case to make it less conspicuous.

Not a metal case.  It was ABS plastic.  That case has been shipped every week for the last 5 yrs.  No issues.  By insurance requirements it must be shipped as it was. 

persisting1

« Reply #54 on: 7 May 2010, 08:04 pm »
Wow this sucks for both of you.

It's good to see that Steve is being positive about this.  I'd be one upset guy sitting in Australia if I was him.

Like you said...you'll get them soon enough.

WGH

« Reply #55 on: 7 May 2010, 08:30 pm »
That's really bad luck. After a disaster like that I would be tempted to put all my crates together with torx or anti-tamper screws and send the driver bit to the customer by US mail.

Wayne

srb

« Reply #56 on: 7 May 2010, 08:54 pm »
When I have shipped crates within the U.S., I have put down a small bead of carpenters glue before screwing down.

But what is happening on International shipments?  Is Customs going to take it apart one way or the other?

Steve

stevenkelby

« Reply #57 on: 8 May 2010, 02:22 am »
The last crate thst Danny sent me got here without being opened. Customs only open depending on what they see via xray, or if you tell them it contains untreated wood or something.

I'm sure that customs here wouldn't open it.

Thanks for al the replies guys. I'll be listening to music on them one day!

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #58 on: 8 May 2010, 03:42 am »
The last crate thst Danny sent me got here without being opened. Customs only open depending on what they see via xray, or if you tell them it contains untreated wood or something.

I'm sure that customs here wouldn't open it.

Thanks for al the replies guys. I'll be listening to music on them one day!
I'm glad the Aussie BUSSes made it even though it took a long time.   :o  Shipping just scares the crap out of me.  Domestic is easy.  I use FedEx and they have been very good.  I have to use USPS International Priority and it seems that there is very little "priority" to their methods.

Hang in there: Danny is tenacious.

Dave

stevenkelby

« Reply #59 on: 8 May 2010, 03:45 am »
Thanks Dave, can't wait to put the BUSSes to use in a system with Super Vs.

Right now one is doing duty on my headphone amp (b22) where it really lowers the noise floor, love it :)

Thanks,

Steve