Question from new 30.2 Owner

nshawks

Question from new 30.2 Owner
« on: 25 Feb 2010, 12:58 am »
Hi, I just purchased a used RWA 30.2 and had a question about the charging light.  When the unit arrived I hooked it up and assumed it would need to top up the batteries, but it didn't seem to need to charge.  So I listened to the unit for about 90 minutes thinking that when I turned it off the charge light would come on.  It didn't.  Power light is on, but no charge light.  I'm wondering if there is something wrong with the unit.

Tonski

Re: Question from new 30.2 Owner
« Reply #1 on: 25 Feb 2010, 01:28 am »
I had the same thing happen to me.  Just needed to run the battery down a bit more before the unit recognised that it needed to be recharged.  I think they are pretty reliable units. 

nshawks

« Reply #2 on: 25 Feb 2010, 09:52 am »
Thanks.  I'll see what happens next time I run it for a while.  The charge light does flash when I unplug and then replug it in, so the lights not burnt out or anything.  I"ll chill on it for now.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #3 on: 25 Feb 2010, 01:43 pm »
So I listened to the unit for about 90 minutes thinking that when I turned it off the charge light would come on.  It didn't.  Power light is on, but no charge light.  I'm wondering if there is something wrong with the unit.

Hi nshawks,

After 90 minutes of play time, I would expect that you would see the red light on the charger (at least for a brief amount of time).  The batteries might need replacement if they are no longer accepting a charge.  I would run the unit and see how long it will play.

Contact me (vinnie@redwineaudio.com) if you think you need servicing...

Also, Tonski's unit is new and has the new SMART 1224 board and 12V charger (not the older SMART board and 24V chager), so it is different.

Best regards,

Vinnie

nshawks

« Reply #4 on: 3 Mar 2010, 10:32 am »
Thanks Vinnie. Everything appears cool now.  After about 2 hours of play time the charger light comes on after I shut if off....but not for long.  And while it's on, it sounds brilliant.  The unit wasn't used for a period of time (unknown) although the seller claims the charger was always plugged in.  The first couple of times I listened to it I was a tad underwhelmed, but it has since transformed after a few extened listening sessions.  Almost like it needed a little mini burn-in after sitting idle.

Anyhow, it's all good now.  I just have to figure out what speakers to mate to it that get the most out of it.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #5 on: 3 Mar 2010, 06:31 pm »
Hi nshawks,

Glad everything is ok and you are enjoying the sound of your 30.2!

The first couple of times I listened to it I was a tad underwhelmed, but it has since transformed after a few extened listening sessions.  Almost like it needed a little mini burn-in after sitting idle.

I have found this to be the case for both electronics and speakers that have been idle for long periods of time.  The break-in time is not as long as when new, but I found that components that have been idle for a while do need some regular usage to "come back" to sounding their best.  I guess we can call it a "mini burn-in" - I like that!  8)

Anyhow, it's all good now.  I just have to figure out what speakers to mate to it that get the most out of it.

The 30.2 works well with a wide range of speakers (if you dig through the RWA forum, you'll find threads about this and what RWA customers are using) - but the most important part is finding speakers that not only have synergy with your 30.2, but speakers that have a sound that is to your liking and work well in your listening room.  And of course, budget comes into play as well  :wink:

Keep us posted!

Best regards,

Vinnie