What Causes Glare?

drphoto

Re: What Causes Glare?
« Reply #20 on: 25 Feb 2010, 04:17 am »
Since Jim is too classy to promote his own product, I'll do it for him. His product really smoothed out my Merlin TSM-MMe's in my room. (and the Merlin is a pretty well regarded speaker) The damping of reflected high frequency waves really cleans up the high end (without rolling it off, as I mistakenly first thought). Yes, with a 'conventional' speaker they help w/ 'glare' as I perceive it. His tweak is inexpensive too. They just ain't real pretty. (sorry Jim!)

Prosoundman1000

« Reply #21 on: 25 Feb 2010, 05:17 am »
  As the topic was what causes glare, I attempted to describe a method of reducing or eliminating glare caused by acoustics in the listening space.  A 2'x4' panel will accomplish the same result but too much absorption will shrink the sound-stage and reduce the live music experience.  There is always a compromise to be made in most rooms.  Few homes have rooms designed with audio reproduction in mind unless the architect was working in conjunction with a sound engineer.  Most rooms are merely boxes with square corners, flat and smooth surfaces which leads to excessive reflections, standing waves and nodes which all wreak havoc on recorded music playback.
   The method I described will reduce what i refer to as hot spots  or reflection points which hit the listener while seated in the sweet spot.  There will still be reflected waves but they will be ambient room reflections that shouldn't compromise the listening experience unless SPLs in the room are excessive.  Excessive SPLs are another topic for another time.

This method will cost you less than $20.00 unless you have to purchase a step ladder.   

It could very well be time well spent.
                                                                            Cheers,
                                                                                         Jon

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #22 on: 25 Feb 2010, 06:12 am »
I find that glare is caused when I do something to piss off my wife.

drphoto

« Reply #23 on: 25 Feb 2010, 06:48 am »
 :D (or girlfriend.....from what I remember)

Pez

« Reply #24 on: 25 Feb 2010, 06:52 am »
I find that glare is caused when I do something to piss off my wife.

Is that why you listen with the lights off?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #25 on: 25 Feb 2010, 06:53 am »
No, I turn off the lights because I'm probably going to be sleeping on the couch.

rockadanny

« Reply #26 on: 25 Feb 2010, 12:37 pm »
Thanks Prosoundman! I know I'll not be able to put 2'x4' panels on the side walls, but perhaps I could sneak in a few "patches" to see if they result in improvement.  :thumb: