Does anybody run Nuforce with Shahinian Obelisks?

Stilgoe

Does anybody run Nuforce with Shahinian Obelisks?
« on: 22 Feb 2010, 10:00 pm »
Hi , I'm new around here, so go easy please. I have searched this forum and haven't found any other users using ref 9 with Shahinian Obelisks. These speakers can be pretty tough to drive , so normally quite high current amps are suggested (I have been using naim 135 mono blocks ,75WATT into 8ohm,15va current output each), as these speakers dip to about 2-3 ohms throughout the treble (nominal impedence 6ohm) (sensativity 89db). I have decided to have a change and these looked like an option and sounded great in a demo with some non shahinian speakers and they have plenty of power on paper. Bottom line is would they drive them ok, or will they sound weak and clip? My music tastes tick all boxes, and listening levels vary from sociable to loud (not party loud).
I would also be looking at the P9 to match.
My source for the time being is a naim CDX
Thanks for helping..

Caar

Re: Does anybody run Nuforce with Shahinian Obelisks?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Feb 2010, 11:39 pm »
I use the Ref9 SE V3 with Martin Logan Summit (91dB sensitivity but well under 1 ohm over the 20kHz) in a dedicated 100m2 room and I'm quite happy.
The pre-amp is a NuForce P-9. IMO great sound from this set.
Cheers.

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #2 on: 24 Feb 2010, 04:44 am »
From your description of the Shahinian Obelisks, Ref 9 series should have no problem driving it.

tonyptony

« Reply #3 on: 24 Feb 2010, 12:47 pm »
Hi , I'm new around here, so go easy please. I have searched this forum and haven't found any other users using ref 9 with Shahinian Obelisks.

Welcome fellow Shahinian owner. My recommendation would be to try it out in advance if you can. In my case I found a friend's Nuforce did not mate well with my Shahinians. It wasn't a clipping problem or anything like that, but it just seemed to me that the liquidity and beauty of the high end was not there. To be fair I did not try different speaker cables, from which I understand there can be a notable difference with Class D amps (I guess in a way different from A or A/B amps). With that wonderful "W" tweeter in the Obelisks I'd be concerned about any amp's ability to bring the best from that range.

If you're not opposed to a used amp I think there may still be an AVA 550EX for sale here on AC. Just a suggestion. I've had about half a dozen different amps in my system and the AVA Ultra is the one I've settled on. YMMV.

Stilgoe

« Reply #4 on: 24 Feb 2010, 08:04 pm »
Thanks for your helpful replies. I am in England so options for amps are a little limited it seems . I have borrowed a set of REf 9v2 SE and a P9 for a week or so. So far the sound is a miles away from what my naim setup produces. It seems a lot more articulate throughout the entire audio spectrum that passes through my speakers! Vocals sound amazing. Bass is deep and tight, a little light compared to my naims (or maybe the naims are overblown). The midrange is loads more detailed, but seems to lack a little something that really kicks the sound from the speakers to give it real weight. Top end is detailed, but does seems to need a little more sparkle (for my eight tweeters) .This might be a hangover from the naim as it is Fizz city at the top end!
I have borrowed some chord anthen 2 interconnects and Velox speaker cable, to string it all together.
Mains conditioning has been advised as I have none at all, as some say that it makes a night and day difference with Nuforce. Overall pretty good,detail is amazing but just need that weight!!
I can't understand how these little amps are so good when compared to amps that kick out higher currents (as advised by most shahinian owners) when they only kick out 7 amps peak. I am pretty boggled about this.

The P9 has only been used for about 150 hours , so I have been advised to keep that running for a while.
Any more suggestions on toning up this audition would be greatfully received.
Many thanks again for your input.

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #5 on: 24 Feb 2010, 10:21 pm »
I can't understand how these little amps are so good when compared to amps that kick out higher currents (as advised by most shahinian owners) when they only kick out 7 amps peak. I am pretty boggled about this.

The peak power is supplied by the cap array and also SMPS has the ability to quickly resupply the power. I am glad you tried it out.  Nuforce amps is well known to be balanced and accurate, and as you have noticed or suspected, your old amp tend to be bass heavy.

Check out the V3 users thread in this forum. You might want to get the Nuforce speaker cable. It has a dedicate ground wiring on the cable that connects to the negative terminal.

Stilgoe

« Reply #6 on: 28 Feb 2010, 06:16 pm »
Weird one! I just put my naim system back on after a good few days listening to the nuforce and it sounds in contrast to the nuforce positively warm. I can honestly say that I've never heard anybody say that naim is warm sounding !!!!

Strange how one's ears adjust to long term listening and get confused when it changes suddenly.

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #7 on: 1 Mar 2010, 09:18 am »
Nuforce is very neutral but if you have been listening to a "warm" system for a long time, you might get use to it.