Firewire interface

KingStyles

Firewire interface
« on: 20 Feb 2010, 05:57 pm »
Are you ever  planning on adding a firewire interface to your offramp or pacecar or make an firewire to spdif converter?

audioengr

Re: Firewire interface
« Reply #1 on: 20 Feb 2010, 08:08 pm »
Are you ever  planning on adding a firewire interface to your offramp or pacecar or make an firewire to spdif converter?

Probably not.  USB is just as good anyway, particularly async USB.  If I could find a S/W developer that did the driver and firmware for async Firewire, I might do it, but the market is small IMO.  Most will want the USB interface.

Steve N.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #2 on: 21 Feb 2010, 02:10 am »
I guess i'm in that small market.

dave

audioengr

« Reply #3 on: 21 Feb 2010, 05:48 am »
I guess i'm in that small market.

dave

What difference does it make whether its USB or Firewire?

Steve N.

srb

« Reply #4 on: 21 Feb 2010, 06:47 am »
If you don't have a dedicated music computer, but instead are multitasking and have multiple USB peripherals in use while playing music (keyboard, mouse, memory cards, printer, etc.) you can get hiccups in playback.

Steve

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #5 on: 21 Feb 2010, 07:00 am »
If you don't have a dedicated music computer, but instead are multitasking and have multiple USB peripherals in use while playing music (keyboard, mouse, memory cards, printer, etc.) you can get hiccups in playback.

Steve

That's funny to me as my Win XP is as slow n' old as they come and I'm using all 6 of my USB plugins yet I can play my J.River Media Center while both downloading music and surfing AC with up to 6 open pages, an open interior hard drive(music library) & 2 open exterior hard drives(library backup) and my music thru my Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock using a Locus Design Nucleus USB cable has never ever hiccupped. In fact the quality of my music isn't much different than if I had my browser completely shut off. Then again I'm not using or have I ever used a laptop PC either, maybe that's what you're talking about Steve?

Cheers,
Robin

audioengr

« Reply #6 on: 21 Feb 2010, 05:14 pm »

Steve

This effect is completely system-dependent.  You could have this with Firewire or with USB, particularly at higher sample-rates or using CODECs like FLAC.

The only defense is to find a computer with a fast disk access (I/O controller and disk seek time) and with a fast I/O architecture for USB and Firewire.  Also, defragging the files and adding more memory to the computer will generally help.

Latency is what you are experiencing.  Mac usually handles this better IME.

Steve N.

srb

« Reply #7 on: 21 Feb 2010, 05:35 pm »
This effect is completely system-dependent.  You could have this with Firewire or with USB, particularly at higher sample-rates or using CODECs like FLAC.

Latency is what you are experiencing.  Mac usually handles this better IME.

Actually I'm not personally experiencing this, but have heard this hiccup on a couple of other computers (PC).  I have no idea if it would occur on FireWire or not, but knowing that there would be no other devices on the FireWire bus, it seemed like it might be a good way to connect, if the interface offered the connection.

Steve

JP78

« Reply #8 on: 2 Mar 2010, 02:05 am »

Actually I'm not personally experiencing this, but have heard this hiccup on a couple of other computers (PC).  I have no idea if it would occur on FireWire or not, but knowing that there would be no other devices on the FireWire bus, it seemed like it might be a good way to connect, if the interface offered the connection.

Steve

I would expect anybody willing to invest thousands of dollars on a digital front end to spend $500 on a desktop PC...which would be more than enough horsepower for simultaneous music playback and web browsing.

srb

« Reply #9 on: 2 Mar 2010, 02:12 am »
It has nothing to do with the cost or horsepower of the PC.  Some mainboards have a glitchy USB implementation, including some Dell models.  It wouldn't be noticed on normal USB bus requests (keyboard, mouse, printer, hard drive), but might be noticed on audio on some PC computers.

Steve

KingStyles

« Reply #10 on: 2 Mar 2010, 03:04 am »
Isnt it easier to implement 24/192 via firewire than usb?

audioengr

« Reply #11 on: 2 Mar 2010, 08:15 pm »
Isnt it easier to implement 24/192 via firewire than usb?

They both require custom drivers, so it's the same.

Steve N.