just saying "hello"...

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
Re: just saying "hello"...
« Reply #20 on: 22 Feb 2010, 01:52 pm »
So, let me get this straight.  It was the Dutch who unleashed 25 years of low resolution audio upon us causing us under false pretense to dispose with our turntables and vinyl discs? :scratch:

uhm... yes and no. the guy that came up with the idea was working on it and put together a prototype. just to show people his idea worked.
this prototype was NOT the finished product, his intention was a much higher resolution, at the current level of dvd. unfortunately someone, who was in charge of budget and such, thought the investment had been large enough and decided the prototype would be the finished product, thus leaving us with a low resolution.
unfortunately higher res formats never really were accepted by the general public after that...

95Dyna

« Reply #21 on: 22 Feb 2010, 02:43 pm »
uhm... yes and no. the guy that came up with the idea was working on it and put together a prototype. just to show people his idea worked.
this prototype was NOT the finished product, his intention was a much higher resolution, at the current level of dvd. unfortunately someone, who was in charge of budget and such, thought the investment had been large enough and decided the prototype would be the finished product, thus leaving us with a low resolution.
unfortunately higher res formats never really were accepted by the general public after that...

Thanks for the clarification.  However, my comment was entirely "tongue in cheek".  I heard you Dutch guys have a good sense of humor so I thought I'd try one out on you.  Music reproduction formats not embraced by the general public immediately become of interest to me.  For the type of music I listen to the SACD is just wonderful and very close to vinyl (the holy grail to some).  And, in deference to the ubiquitous Dutch invention, a redbook CD done properly (e.g. Reference Recordings) is mighty fine too.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #22 on: 22 Feb 2010, 10:29 pm »
So, let me get this straight.  It was the Dutch who unleashed 25 years of low resolution audio upon us causing us under false pretense to dispose with our turntables and vinyl discs? :scratch:

I never disposed of my vinyl. I knew there was a catch with cd...:D