How many guys use passive preamps?

Quiet Earth

Re: How many guys use passive preamps?
« Reply #40 on: 1 Mar 2010, 03:25 pm »
My TVC is a impedance matching device with no gain. Therefore, it must be as good as your buffer. Better, because there is no noise from an active device.

So there . . . . . do I win the prize?

(My dad is bigger than your dad, What's Spinning, and How many guys prefer XY over ZY?  :green: )

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #41 on: 1 Mar 2010, 03:31 pm »
Scott Endler set me up with a DAC modded Behringer (that takes the analog output straight out from the chip), his IC's, and his stepped attenuators that plug into my Channel Island Audio chip amps (rated input sensitivity 0.6 volts).  The single driver speakers are about 90 dB/w/m.  No problems with dynamics.

Previously I'd used a Channel Island Audio VPC-3 passive, but highs suffered, so synergy is very important with any passive solution.

Transformers have tons of contact points, can cause wireless interferences, and can add a transformer voicing.

Like you Roymail, I like it simple.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #42 on: 1 Mar 2010, 03:52 pm »
Transformers have tons of contact points, can cause wireless interferences, and can add a transformer voicing.

1. Transformers have tons of contact points. Yes they do, but you only use one set at a time. The volume control is actually a switch. But that is a valid point.

2. Can cause wireless interferences. No, they don't cause interference, but you're right if you mean that they can pick up some noise because they are magnetic induction devices.

3. Can add a transformer voicing. Yep. Everything has a voice. Which one do you like the best? Mmmmmmmm........ transformer voicing. Yum!
 :thumb:

Quiet Earth

« Reply #43 on: 1 Mar 2010, 03:58 pm »
I like it simple.

Forgot this one, the best one. Me too.

BTW, I kind of like 'em all.......... when they're done really well and put into the right system context. They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

It's a bugger to choose the best one, huh?  :scratch:

Sonny

« Reply #44 on: 1 Mar 2010, 04:02 pm »
I am using a  Bent Audio APLS remote 50K module and it sounds great!
Bought the parts and put it together...in a case.
Nice! Extended and open, airy, transparent and fast!!!

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #45 on: 1 Mar 2010, 04:05 pm »
My TVC is a impedance matching device with no gain. Therefore, it must be as good as your buffer.

Not all buffers are the same.

Hey, just swapping out the tubes alone can give and take a whole range of things.

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #46 on: 1 Mar 2010, 04:44 pm »
System matching is very important especially when trying to successfully integrate a quality passive control.  Otherwise, the sound may not be satisfactory.

Some guys just insert a passive vc into their existing system, don't like the sound, and conclude that the passive vc is junk.

System synergy... always!

Quiet Earth

« Reply #47 on: 1 Mar 2010, 04:57 pm »
I was just kidding around Danny. :wink: