Anybody using Gary Dodd's 120 mono's?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« on: 28 Jan 2004, 04:32 pm »
First off, I would like to say that I had a very nice conversation with Gary.  It's obvious that he knows his stuff and is very committed to delivering a quality product at a good price.

That being said, I would love to hear back form people who are using his 120 mono's.  

Are you using them with EL34's or KT 88's?

What speakers are you using?

I am using VMPS RM 40's.  My current tube amps (Kora Cosmos References) could be better driving the bass in my room (25x17x7).

Gary has assured me that they will have no problem handling the 40's, but it sure would be great if somebody has already tried this and could say how it sounded.

Thanks,

GW

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jan 2004, 04:03 am »
Bump.

Isn't there anybody who can comment?

GW

markn

120 Watt Dodd Audio Mono Blocks
« Reply #2 on: 1 Feb 2004, 03:21 am »
Well, I have a pair of Gary's amps and they are the best thing I have ever had that's for sure!  I actually have the prototype pair - they aren't pretty, but they sound great.

They use 4 EL-34's per side, and three input tubes per side.  I currently have several book shelf type speakers that I use the amps with, and of course they have driven Gary's Alphas and most of Danny's other speakers with no problems.

They absolutely kill my McIntosh MC-2100.  I was most surprised at how much better they are with bass - they have incredible driver control!

Almost two years ago, we did some comparisons at Gary's with my NEW Class A amp and his 8 watt amp - two of us bought them on the spot!  Since then we have had various highly regarded solid state amps to do direct comparisons with, and the Dodd amps have come out the clear winner every time.

Obviously, I am pretty biased - but if you take the opportunity to try the amps on your speakers - I am convinced you will keep them - forever!

In this past year, I have sold all my McIntosh gear and horded as much Dodd Audio as I can get...

Mark

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 1 Feb 2004, 03:43 am »
Thanks for the replies guys.

I have no doubt that the amps sound very good.

Unfortunately, it sounds like neither of you use them on demanding speakers with a fairly low impedance.

My current amps (Kora Cosmos References) sound very good as long as there isn't lots of bass and I keep the volume at a certain level.

I was hoping to hear from somebody that they had or were using Gary's amps on the RM 40's or similar speakers.

Looks like I will just need to work something out with Gary to hear them in my system.

GW

Carlman

« Reply #4 on: 1 Feb 2004, 03:51 am »
Quote from: zybar
Thanks for the replies guys.

I have no doubt that the amps sound very good.

Unfortunately, it sounds like neither of you use them on demanding speakers with a fairly low impedance.

My current amps (Kora Cosmos References) sound very good as long as there isn't lots of bass and I keep the volume at a certain level.

I was hoping to hear from somebody that they had or were using Gary's amps on the RM 40's or similar speakers.

Looks like I will just need to work something out with Gary to hear them in my system.

GW

Hearing them in your own system will always be the best way to determine what will work best for you...

However, I know someone had posted that they used this amp with the GR Research Criterion, which is a fairly demanding monitor.  If it runs those with no problem I would think it should do well on any speakers that normally require a good 100 watt amp.

I would think Gary will be more than willing to work with you.  He's been very helpful and courteous in my dealings with him.

NealH

« Reply #5 on: 1 Feb 2004, 07:26 pm »
Where does one find information on these amps?  I can't find a website and, on the GR Research site only one low power amp is shown.

JoshK

« Reply #6 on: 2 Feb 2004, 03:52 am »
zybar/George,

You might be searching for the non-existant amp.  I haven't seen a tube amp that really can deliver the current that the RM40's bass section craves.   Rup had his tube amps tweaked to match the input senstivity of his Spectron so he can biamp passively.   You might look into the same if you really desire the best setup with tubes.    The Wolcott monos might be the only tube amps that can drive the 40's in your room to satistfying levels but they cost twice that of the 40's.  I think I'd rather biamp.  This is the road I intend to travel.   *I see 845 SET monos in my future*

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 2 Feb 2004, 04:01 am »
Josh,

Unfotunately I think you are probably right.   :cry:

I am not sure if I am going to try and biamp with tubes/ss or if I am going to just go solid state (did I actually say that?)   :peek:

It is looking more and more like the digital amps that are happening now might be the answer.  I have been keeping in touch with Ric from EVS and it looks like his 250/500 watt digital amp will be very affordable and allow me to get two and do a vertical biamp.

I am going to do a test in the next week or so and try my HT amp (Sherbourn 5/1500A) biamping the 40's (it does pretty well running 2 channels full range).  I want to hear what kind of improvement I get in a vertical biamp (basically each channel in this amp is independent).

I can't remember, what amp(s) are you using in your 40's?

Sounds like I missed a good time at Roops.  I would love to hear the RM/X.  From talking with Eric it sounds like one hell of a speaker.

GW

JoshK

« Reply #8 on: 2 Feb 2004, 04:06 am »
I am using a Spectron MII fullrange, I did have a Cary V12i running my RM40's fullrange at one point but I suceeded that it was futile, tried some SS amps and then settled on the Spectron. The tubes on the ribbons is magical but I think biamping is needed here.  I have never been satisfied long term with tube preamps I have had in my system so I think I will ultimately go 845 monos on top.

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
Amps
« Reply #9 on: 2 Feb 2004, 05:34 pm »
If you are considering Gay's tube amps but are concerned about the low impedance then have Gary customize the amps for that specific load.

No problem in that I would think.

The transformer might get a little larger though, or a lot larger depending on the load.

It will cost you more for that reason too.

What other company would customized their amps just for your speakers?

meilankev

« Reply #10 on: 2 Feb 2004, 06:05 pm »
George,

If you are wanting to keep the KORAs, and you feel the bass is lacking, it seems the two "best" choices are:

> get a SS brute to handle the bottom end, leaving the KORAs on the mids/highs
> augment your current setup with the VMPS Larger subwoofer

As you know, I don't find the KORAs lacking in the bottom end on my RM40s, but then again your listening room is almost twice the size of mine - that's a lot of air to fill.  And my listening room has no open spaces - it is completely enclosed.

I admire your perseverance at trying to get your system sounding its best.  Good luck in your pursuits.

Kevin

hmen

« Reply #11 on: 2 Feb 2004, 10:42 pm »
If you're happy with the way the Kora sounds up top then you should bi-amp. I'm using a pair of decware zens for the ribbons on my RM2's and after comparing some other amps I'm convinced that tubes and ribbons are a perfect match. I'm using a rebuilt dynaco ST70 for the woofers but I'm in a pretty small room.