Inexpensive cd transport?

roymail

• Roy in TX
Inexpensive cd transport?
« on: 15 Feb 2010, 03:25 pm »
Sony, used NAD, etc... decent player with a digital output, right?  I don't want to tie up too much in the player so I can invest more in a good dac.

Recommendations appreciated.  Thanks.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Inexpensive cd transport?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Feb 2010, 03:36 pm »

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 15 Feb 2010, 06:39 pm »
Roymail-

Why don't specify what Inexpensive means to you.  It's all realative....

ltr317

« Reply #4 on: 15 Feb 2010, 07:10 pm »

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #5 on: 15 Feb 2010, 11:28 pm »
Roymail-

Why don't specify what Inexpensive means to you.  It's all realative....

Do you remember all the rage over the Toshiba 3950 CD/DVD for $75?  Guys were running it through high quality dac's and loving the sound.

Not necessarily that cheap, but mid-fi price range.  I'm thinking $250 or less (just the transport, not the dac).  Thanks.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #6 on: 16 Feb 2010, 03:20 am »
i picked up my audio alchemy acd pro cdp, which uses the pioneer stable-platter transport, for $250.  excellent, imo; and i suspect any pioneer stable-platter cdp would make a good transport.  but, to be honest, i also had <$100 cd changers from denon & aiwa that also made excellent transports.  key, imo, is to get separate lab-grade isolation transformers, and use one for transport, the second for dac.  these can be found cheap on ebay/etc...

doug s.

Mike Nomad

« Reply #7 on: 16 Feb 2010, 03:42 am »
I use a Pioneer Elite DV-48AV, and feed into a Peachtree Nova. Other than Pioneer's refusal to fix the playback problem (as in, they won't) with 2 channel, 24/176 discs, I have no complaints.

The Pioneer goes for around $150. Not bad for an Almost Universal Player (no Blu-Ray).

decal

« Reply #8 on: 16 Feb 2010, 04:48 am »
I just ordered a refurbished Sony SCD-CE595  SACD for $59.95 from SonyStyle
to use as a transport.I'll report back when I have spent some time with it.

mcgsxr

« Reply #9 on: 16 Feb 2010, 01:25 pm »
No joke, I have read lots of folks happy with the original Playstation - those things are being given away in gaming circles too!

TheChairGuy

« Reply #10 on: 16 Feb 2010, 03:16 pm »
If you can fit it into your system....a top-loading COBY player. You should fine them new for $39 or so (that's cheap and cheerful, isn't it? 8))

They're incredibly cheap, and there's less to go wrong with a manual door on top (tho I'm looking at Amazon reviews right now and it seems the top loaders are more troublesome than the front loaders in COBY's line  :scratch:)....next to an automatic front loading drawer.

Look for the one with digi outs, of course (as they have them without, too, in their line) :)

John

orthobiz

« Reply #11 on: 16 Feb 2010, 03:46 pm »
No joke, I have read lots of folks happy with the original Playstation - those things are being given away in gaming circles too!

Got these for my three kids. You can pay 10 bucks, more or less for a decent one. Check out garage sales this summer. I did buy a newer one also: it's a bit smaller, it's still a PS1, it has slimmer and more curvy lines. I think the one to have is the more squared off version.

I have seen them for 40 and 50 on eBay, I think it goes up whenever there's an article about them in an audio magazine.

Paul

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #12 on: 16 Feb 2010, 04:27 pm »
Sony, used NAD, etc... decent player with a digital output, right?  I don't want to tie up too much in the player so I can invest more in a good dac.

Thanks guys.  That's the idea.

Since it's just a transport, how does a $100 Sony, Pioneer, etc, differ from more expensive models?  Doesn't the DAC make all the difference in the sound?  Just asking... thanks!  :)

martyo

« Reply #13 on: 16 Feb 2010, 04:31 pm »
I use a $70 Sony DVD, my brother uses a $50 Phillips.

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #14 on: 16 Feb 2010, 04:41 pm »
I use a $70 Sony DVD, my brother uses a $50 Phillips.

What dac and what about the sound?  Thanks!

Mike Nomad

« Reply #15 on: 16 Feb 2010, 04:52 pm »
Since it's just a transport, how does a $100 Sony, Pioneer, etc, differ from more expensive models?  Doesn't the DAC make all the difference in the sound?  Just asking... thanks!  :)

What drives the price includes architecture and parts quality: Everything from RF isolation to power supply, DAC, and video chips. And yes, there is a difference in transport mechanisms.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #16 on: 19 Feb 2010, 06:30 pm »
I just picked up a Yamaha DVD S-1800 to use as an SACDP and transport for $79 from amazon.com.  It sold for $450 when it first came out.  Its well made, has a decent remote and its SACDP is very good with std Cd being average.  It has a neutral sound and is a great budget player.  I'm thinking about buying 2 more for my kids budget stereo's.  It uses 4 Burr Brown DAC's

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=558368&CTID=5001800&ATRID=1000&DETYP=ATTRIBUTE

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_10?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=yamaha+dvd-s1800&sprefix=yamaha+dvd

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #17 on: 20 Feb 2010, 01:47 am »
Thanks for the heads up on the Yamaha.  I'll take a look at the link.  :D

weirdo

« Reply #18 on: 22 Feb 2010, 09:00 pm »
I'm not sure that in the cheap and cheerful range, a transport/DAC is the way to go. I recommend checking out Audiogon and the Music Hall CD25.2 player. You can find one for around 300.00 demo or lightly used. Its a 699.00 unit retail.  It has a Phillips transport and a good DAC. A beautiful sounding CD player for not a lot of money. I'm afraid that if you put together a 125.00 used player for a transport and a 399.00 DAC, you won't be that much further ahead that just buying a good basic all in one player. The curent crop of budget players are parobably twice as good as they were 6 or 7 years ago.  I am quite satisfied with my Music hall and my system is relatively intolerant of bad sources. Just a thought.   Cheers dk

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #19 on: 22 Feb 2010, 09:17 pm »
dk, I think you're probably right unless one already has the dac and is just looking for a cheap transport.  Otherwise, I've read many good things about the Music Hall cdp.  Thanks for your helpful post!