What gauge for 25 foot run to AV-1's?

randog

« on: 27 Jan 2004, 06:09 pm »
Danny and everyone,

I'm having carpet installed on a slab foundation in a few weeks and I need to run some flat speaker cable for my AV-1 surrounds (HT) under the carpet.

What gauge wire should I be using for a 25' run to each speaker? Any recommendations on flat speaker cable?

Thanks,
Randog

JoshK

« Reply #1 on: 27 Jan 2004, 06:48 pm »
A star quad of 14awg wiring will do a superb job.  It is also easy to make and relatively cheap.  I made some speaker cables out of a star quad and it sounds fantastic.  

Danny mentioned before using silver platted copper from Apex Jr.  I would buy a roll of 50' of 14awg wire and twist it up for your cables.  If you need some links to info on how to do this I can provide them.  It really is simple to do.  Just remember to factor in 10-20% more length in your calcs before twisting as twisting will take off the final length.

randog

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jan 2004, 07:13 pm »
Hi Josh,

How flat can the star quad get? Our new carpet will be a short texture and they will only use a thinner pad with it (otherwise it will spread at the seams). This means I need to get as flat as I can... I'm thinking 1/8" thick max.

Thanks,
Randog

JoshK

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jan 2004, 07:18 pm »
Sorry, I read your post incorrectly.  In this case I might try using Goertz speaker cable.   I am just not sure how good at RFI rejection it is.

Danny Richie

Wire
« Reply #4 on: 27 Jan 2004, 11:53 pm »
For a run that long I would at least use 14 gauge.

Yes Goertz is the best I have used but the cost of that might make it not worth considering.

There are less expensive flat braided and ribbon type wires that are available.

jjb

« Reply #5 on: 28 Jan 2004, 02:09 am »
:) I can't explain it but: I recently changed my speaker wire from a DIY Beldon Cable twist to a 12 gauge MTX O2 free cable at .79 per foot and my A/V-3 never sounded better, greater detail, clearer high-ends and improved mid-range. The reason I change was due to a change in speaker placement in my room, each wire is about 15 feet. My guess is the larger the gauge of a quality wire the better, my DIY cable was good at least I thought...

MaxCast

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jan 2004, 01:18 pm »
randog,
When I did my basement the carpet installer told me to run it along the outside of the room about 1' from the wall and tape it every so often.  I believe I used 14 ga with a thick pad and medium pile carpet.   I can't tell it is there.