Cable advice needed....

Christof

Cable advice needed....
« on: 13 Feb 2010, 09:30 pm »
I am going to mount a couple projectors in my art gallery for artists to use for installation work.  They will likely use laptops as source to the projectors.  Due to the nature of the gallery layout I will need to run about 20'-25' of signal cable to each projector.  What type of cable do you guys recommend?  The projectors are both older Optoma H27's with DVI-D component and s-video connection.  IIRC they do not accept HDMI.  I would bet that most of the artists use Mac's.

thx :thumb:

Phil A

Re: Cable advice needed....
« Reply #1 on: 14 Feb 2010, 02:49 pm »
I would assume the laptops have DVI out?  If so, monoprice.com has good prices and a good 25 foot cable won't be bad.  There are also places like Blue Jeans Cables too

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #2 on: 14 Feb 2010, 07:23 pm »
I'm running a 15' DVI-D cable that I got from Staples from my HTPC to my Acer LCD for 1920 x 1080 video. As you never stated what you have for laptop video out connections, it's sorta hard to be recommending anything.

Cheers,
Robin

srb

« Reply #3 on: 14 Feb 2010, 08:21 pm »
The older MacBooks (at least the generation prior to the new unibody models) have a Female DVI port.  The new unibody MacBooks have a Mini DisplayPort which requires an adapter dongle.

I would get a pair of Male DVI to Male DVI 20'-25' cables (which would connect directly to the older MacBooks) and a pair of Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapters to connect to the new MacBooks.  That length of cable is on the far end of the spec, but some of us have used that length, while others have needed a repeater to boost the signal.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=5106&seq=1&format=2

To accomodate newer PC laptops that have an HDMI port, I haven't found a Female DVI to Male HDMI adapter, but you could get

Female DVI to Female HDMI adapter
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10419&cs_id=1041902&p_id=2081&seq=1&format=2

PLUS

1.5 ft. HDMI cable
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024007&p_id=4020&seq=1&format=2

Those with older PC laptops with VGA and S-Video ports will be out of luck.

Steve

Christof

« Reply #4 on: 15 Feb 2010, 05:04 pm »
I'm running a 15' DVI-D cable that I got from Staples from my HTPC to my Acer LCD for 1920 x 1080 video. As you never stated what you have for laptop video out connections, it's sorta hard to be recommending anything.

Cheers,
Robin

Hey Robin....I'm looking for the most generic cable that will serve most people because I have no idea what type of computer or format the artists will present the video material.  My guess is most of them are going to have Mac's of one form or another.  The house computer in the gallery is a Mac and I'll have a Mac Mini available.  It is also very likely that the artists will have material burned on DVD so they do not have the liability of leaving a computer for a month or two...I have a spare Oppo if this is the case.

Thanks for all the input folks...