Well Folks it Does Not Get Any Better Than This!

VOLKS

Re: Well Folks it Does Not Get Any Better Than This!
« Reply #20 on: 8 Feb 2010, 01:30 am »
Dev do you think anyone really thought You&I were in the exact same store/room and the same time?????lol...so i am not sure why you had to  "Clear that up"...and your right my experience was my own and yes thats ok..........so........whats the issue?I am not sure why you are ...i dunno trying to justify your liking for Bose or trying to justify your experience.Your experience was cool for you and thats great.....my experience was like a comedy club act in motion  and for music Bose Cubes are a deplorable speaker....again thats just my opinion......maybe for movies as in your case.....they are ok?Bottom line is as long as you like it....thats great.Other opinions may vary :green:
« Last Edit: 9 Feb 2010, 01:39 am by VOLKS »

pjg66

« Reply #21 on: 9 Feb 2010, 02:33 am »
Laundrew -

HP specificlly said it was  "high-end aficionados" that had not respected Bryston (before the 28B of course).   I agree that it is difficult to pin down
exactly what the term means. 

Does it, for example, include DIY'ers who are working away in their basements?  Does it include the well-to-do who don't care about
audio per se but want the latest and greatest stuff to show off?  Does it narrowly mean people who buy equipment from a certain set of companies?

Does being an audiophile who spends lots of money on equipment make a high-end aficionado?  Does being an audiophile period make you one?

If might be fun to do a thread where we ask readers of this forum what the term means to them and whether they identify themselves as such.

DEV -

If ever an amplifier demonstration could be called a work of art, yours would surely be it.  Masterfully done!  I would love to have been there to see their
reactions when they found out they were (gasp!) listening to Brystons. 

But they were just finding out what the rest of us have known all along.

Good listening!

pjg66

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #22 on: 9 Feb 2010, 03:36 am »
Laundrew -

HP specificlly said it was  "high-end aficionados" that had not respected Bryston (before the 28B of course).   I agree that it is difficult to pin down
exactly what the term means. 

Does it, for example, include DIY'ers who are working away in their basements?  Does it include the well-to-do who don't care about
audio per se but want the latest and greatest stuff to show off?  Does it narrowly mean people who buy equipment from a certain set of companies?

Does being an audiophile who spends lots of money on equipment make a high-end aficionado?  Does being an audiophile period make you one?

If might be fun to do a thread where we ask readers of this forum what the term means to them and whether they identify themselves as such.

DEV -

If ever an amplifier demonstration could be called a work of art, yours would surely be it.  Masterfully done!  I would love to have been there to see their
reactions when they found out they were (gasp!) listening to Brystons. 

But they were just finding out what the rest of us have known all along.

Good listening!

pjg66

Hello pjg66,

I think you raised a lot of very interesting points. I had never known about or considered "DIY'ers" before I read your post. I would compliment DIY'ers by referring to them as “purists.” Not only do they have a passion for music - but to design and build your own audio equipment certainly takes them all up a couple of notches in my eyes. There is so much to be said when you look at something and you know it was you that created it.

Be well...

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #23 on: 10 Feb 2010, 04:06 am »
DEV is one rich mofo.

DEV

« Reply #24 on: 11 Feb 2010, 02:30 pm »
Hi guys just wanted to share this;

I am adding a VAC Signature MKIIa pre with phono to compare in my my current set-up, one decision was to include the phono with this pre because I'm currently in the process of adding a table. I was ready to pull the trigger on the TW Black Knight table but this TW came available locally which was a bonus so I figured what the heck, good way to get my feet wet since I have been told it's 90% of the bigger brother's sonics and any of your guys know that can be swayed greatly depending on set-up along with associated gear matched up.

TW Raven One table
Graham Phantom MKII arm
Dynavector XV-1s cart
Audia Flight phono to compare to VAC phono and others
Stealth Audio Hyperphono cable

Should be interesting, still waiting for the Stealth cable and VAC to arrive and then the break-in process starts etc. which is not my fav. but has to be done, boy setting up a table from scratch is involving never mind the added cost.

Gotta go now and get back to my news paper deliver route so I can pay for this. :eyebrows:

werd

« Reply #25 on: 11 Feb 2010, 03:16 pm »
Hi guys just wanted to share this;

I am adding a VAC Signature MKIIa pre with phono to compare in my my current set-up, one decision was to include the phono with this pre because I'm currently in the process of adding a table. I was ready to pull the trigger on the TW Black Knight table but this TW came available locally which was a bonus so I figured what the heck, good way to get my feet wet since I have been told it's 90% of the bigger brother's sonics and any of your guys know that can be swayed greatly depending on set-up along with associated gear matched up.

TW Raven One table
Graham Phantom MKII arm
Dynavector XV-1s cart
Audia Flight phono to compare to VAC phono and others
Stealth Audio Hyperphono cable

Should be interesting, still waiting for the Stealth cable and VAC to arrive and then the break-in process starts etc. which is not my fav. but has to be done, boy setting up a table from scratch is involving never mind the added cost.

Gotta go now and get back to my news paper deliver route so I can pay for this. :eyebrows:

Hi

You will have to let us know how that VAC sounds. Are you buying it or just borrowing it?. Have you ever tried a REX with your 28's?

DEV

« Reply #26 on: 11 Feb 2010, 04:38 pm »
Hi Werd,

no I have not heard the REX in my own set-up, suppose to be a great pre. No such luck "borrowing  the VAC" I bought it. I will comment once I have enough hours on it which I suppose will be later this year some time.   

werd

« Reply #27 on: 11 Feb 2010, 04:41 pm »
Hi Werd,

no I have not heard the REX in my own set-up, suppose to be a great pre. No such luck "borrowing  the VAC" I bought it. I will comment once I have enough hours on it which I suppose will be later this year some time.

Hi Dev

So then, no such luck on me borrowing it for awhile....?  :D

CABrystonOwner10

« Reply #28 on: 11 Feb 2010, 06:32 pm »
Haven't heard the 28B (sigh ...), but I'm sure HP's accolades are well deserved.  Congratulations.

I do have issues with HP's assertion that, hithertofore (his word, not mine), Bryston has not had the
respect of high-end aficionados (are any of you Bryston guys out there high-end aficionados?).  Be that as it may, HP remains an influential force in high-end audio, and he has given Bryston some very positive recognition.

For those of us who have, hithertofore, respected Bryston, that is good news.

Enjoy your Brystons!

pjg66

I admit to be one of those who used to ignore and thought very poorly of Bryston. It was due to ignorance and intense bias against solid-state gear after hearing a few "high-end brands" some 15+ years ago. All the solid-state gear then sounded so hard and etchy, my ears would "bleed" only after 10 minutes. Price then was also outrageously wild. There was a Meridian CD Player that wanted $5000! I thought then that all of "high end" was a big joke. How could anyone sell something that sounded so bad for so much?

Wife and I gave up on "high end" and went to a dealer asking for something decent but must cost no more than $500 (five hundred). He chat us up about our musical tastes before leading us to a listening room. We sat down and he turned on a system on a rack and my jaw dropped. I had never heard anything like it. I was ready to pay the $500 until he unveiled the Audio Research gear driving Thiel 7.2. We became Audio Research convert immediately.

Fast-forward to about two years ago. The tubes were getting expensive to replace and I was tired of having to wait 40 minutes for them to warm before starting a listening session. So a search was on for replacements. A friend mentioned Bryston and I actually laughed and waved him off. Bryston? Some no-name wannabe audio company in Canada? Canada? What do they know about good music? More bad room-shaking bass and sharp deafening highs, I was sure. Selling on spec and cheap price, I thought.

Then as luck would have it, I visited a new friend's HT and was extremely impressed by the seamless and effortless extension and dynamics. Not one hint of compression or strain from top to bottom. The best HT movie sound I had heard up until then. When he showed me the 9B-SST, I was speechless. OK, so this is Bryston? Those tiny little per-channel circuit boards stuffed into a small chassis can actually sound like THAT? "THE" Bryston that makes solid state for relatively cheap price? Solid state can do this? The 9B-SST sounded like a top-notch tube amplifier revealing details that my aging 10+ year old ARC amplifier could not even render. The rest is history :). We are now Bryston converts. 

It is possible there are many like us. We are not "high-end" or "low-end" people, just music lovers. We are very skeptical of claims and specs and the outrageous prices and trust nothing but our ears. We won't pay more than what we could hear nor less than what would satisfy our needs. We have to be convinced and we refused to be sold a bill of goods. So all the awards and endorsements are good but we remain skeptical until the demo :-).

There is nothing like DEMO!

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #29 on: 12 Feb 2010, 01:31 am »
Great post! I agree with everything. Allow me to add that Bryston is very underrated. Forever the underdog it seems.

pjg66

« Reply #30 on: 12 Feb 2010, 02:40 am »
CABrystonOwner10 -

Agree totally with vegasdave - great post!  Thanks for your story.  I too once owned Audio Research tube equipment and thought it was very good.  But I like my Brystons way, way better.

Also agree on the importance of the DEMO.  My own initiation into Bryston amps came when a dealer suggested that I borrow a pair of 7BST's, install them in my own system and listen for a few days - no obligation to buy.  I'll never forget that first evening when I was happily listening.  A friend entered the room  - a friend who was not an audiophile nor had any interest in audio equipment, but had heard my system many times.  He immediately declared, "What has happened to your system?  It has never sounded so good!"

Needless to say, I bought the amps and have been a Bryston guy ever since.

Happy listening!

pjg66 

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #31 on: 12 Feb 2010, 03:01 am »
It is possible there are many like us. We are not "high-end" or "low-end" people, just music lovers. We are very skeptical of claims and specs and the outrageous prices and trust nothing but our ears. We won't pay more than what we could hear nor less than what would satisfy our needs. We have to be convinced and we refused to be sold a bill of goods. So all the awards and endorsements are good but we remain skeptical until the demo :-).

There is nothing like DEMO!

Well said.

Be well...

1ZIP

« Reply #32 on: 12 Feb 2010, 03:37 am »
It's nice to see that Bryston is finally getting the attention and credit it deserves. :D

It's also nice that the anointed ones of the audio world have gotten around to realizing what we, the mere listening public, have know for some time, that Bryston is an excellent company making excellent gear.  Would be nice if the gurus of audio would get ahead of the curve instead of being behind it!