Complimentary Center to Super Tower /R?

Venkman

Complimentary Center to Super Tower /R?
« on: 29 Jan 2010, 10:57 pm »
Good afternoon All,

I recently rehabbed a set of Super Tower /r's.  You can see them in my other threads, or in my gallery. 

I finally have a more appropriate amplifier en route to me.  It's a Sony N80ES, at 270 WPC at 4 ohms.

The next step is to find a more appropriate center channel for home theater use.  I am currently using a 12" cerwin vega as a center, and would like to take a step up.  Can anyone recommend a center channel that will match decently enough with the Towers?  Maybe one that can be picked up on the used market for less than an arm in a bag?

Also, any thoughts on the Sony amp + tower combo?

Thanks everyone, have a good weekend!

John Casler

Re: Complimentary Center to Super Tower /R?
« Reply #1 on: 9 Feb 2010, 06:02 pm »
Good afternoon All,

I recently rehabbed a set of Super Tower /r's.  You can see them in my other threads, or in my gallery. 

I finally have a more appropriate amplifier en route to me.  It's a Sony N80ES, at 270 WPC at 4 ohms.

The next step is to find a more appropriate center channel for home theater use.  I am currently using a 12" cerwin vega as a center, and would like to take a step up.  Can anyone recommend a center channel that will match decently enough with the Towers?  Maybe one that can be picked up on the used market for less than an arm in a bag?

Also, any thoughts on the Sony amp + tower combo?

Thanks everyone, have a good weekend!

Looks like I missed this one.  :oops:

There is no "exact match" as a center, but the most economical "close" match would be the LRCjr.

Your ST/r's have 2 of the planar magnetic push-pull Dynaribbons for midrange and 2  1" Focal titanium oxide inverted hard domes, as tweeters, and a spiral ribbon as a supertweeter.

The LRCjr is still available for $549 plus shipping and can be ordered with MegaWoofers for $200 more (recomended)

While it is not a perfect match, it is as close as you might get, considering B did the voicing of both.

Brax

« Reply #2 on: 10 Feb 2010, 06:02 pm »
I went through 3 different centers so far and ended up with the LRC with mega woofers. It's the best center I have heard from a size vs output comparision. The biggest difference (to my ears) in the centers, was their ability to output bass. Most centers lack any real bass response. I'm not talking subwoofer output but just 80hz to about 45hz.

I did move one of my RM2's to the center for a test and it was an improvement over the LRC when the volume was turned up, especially listening to music in Trifield mode on my Meridian.

I would/will upgrade to an even larger center when I put my HT together. My dream center would be an RM40. My advice is to get the biggest baddest center you can fit and afford. The center carries a huge load in surround these days and you don't want it to be the weak link.

Venkman

« Reply #3 on: 14 Feb 2010, 07:25 pm »
Great,  Thanks guys!

It looks like the LRCjr is next on my wish list. 

I had another question for the Super towers.  Awhile back I read where a "tweak" with certain VMPS speakers is to set the toggle to bi-wire and use jumpers from the single wire posts (bottom posts on the ST/R) to the upper bi-wire posts.  As I understand it, this will bypass the toggle and some internal wiring and can increase sound quality.   Is this something that can/should be used in the ST/R's?  I  am currently just single wiring to the bottom posts.   

I hope my question makes sense.

Thanks much!

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #4 on: 14 Feb 2010, 07:54 pm »
Venkman,
I have a single VMPS 626 QSO (old style, non-ribbon) that I've used as a center when I had an all-VMPS system.  PM me if interested.  It's black matte finish.

Venkman

« Reply #5 on: 16 Feb 2010, 07:13 pm »
Thanks Ted,

Unfortunately, I have other financial priorities right now, (child, wife, house, beer, wine.)  So I have to take it month by month and save some cash.  If, when I have the available funds, your 626 is still available, I will certainly consider it!

Right now I am starting the tweaking process of my current setup.  With the new amp/power it's much easier to hear things that don't sound quite right.  I am getting some distortion from the 12" at high volume, and I can feel some leakage around the woofers.   I'll start pulling the 12's and 15" passives and actives and do a better job of sealing them up this time.

I have read some info on the N80ES amp that the replacement of a certain Cap with a higher value and quality cap will reduce bass distortion quite a bit, (we'll see.)

Any other tips are certainly welcome!

Thanks again,
Venk

pmcneil

« Reply #6 on: 19 Mar 2010, 04:31 am »
I think that the most important thing is that the center channel is 'centered', in the middle of the screen. If you can afford it, and are using a projector, than a 'sound' transparent screen is the way to go. If not, or if a physical sound object like a tv or screen that is not sound transparent is in the way, then I suggest two centers, one above and one below the physical object. I do this with two Revel m20s and the clarity of dialogue and realism of the centered voicing is striking.

BobMajor

« Reply #7 on: 19 Mar 2010, 09:12 pm »
I don't know how good the Revel M20 are but there is a pair on Audiogon. The seller is asking  $1295 (list price) $2000.
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrmoni&1273880704&/Revel-M20-
I checked for used VMPS 626R but the only one was $2000, (the 626 Jr is listed as $975) but the VMPS LRC Jr. is $1100 per pair.

Brax

« Reply #8 on: 12 Apr 2010, 11:33 pm »
Thinking about this, since I already have a LRC, how do you think dual LCR's would work compared to a single larger speaker, like an RM30 or RM40?

John Casler

« Reply #9 on: 13 Apr 2010, 01:34 am »
I think that the most important thing is that the center channel is 'centered', in the middle of the screen. If you can afford it, and are using a projector, than a 'sound' transparent screen is the way to go. If not, or if a physical sound object like a tv or screen that is not sound transparent is in the way, then I suggest two centers, one above and one below the physical object. I do this with two Revel m20s and the clarity of dialogue and realism of the centered voicing is striking.

Very interesting "Auralization" (Aural observation  :scratch:)

While I have never tried "above and below" the screen, it is often said that it is not a good method due to the fact that one speaker is further away from you, and comb filtering occurs.

Your Auralization seems to contradict that.

I'd like to hear how anyone using two LRC's (above and below) might fair.

As far as an AT screen, the VMPS are real winners on that front since you can simply dial the panels and tweeter up to accomadate for any "losses" due to the screen. :thumb:

Brax

« Reply #10 on: 14 Apr 2010, 02:51 pm »
I planned on usend a SMX audio transparent screen and was thinking of stacking the LRCs in the center of the screen. Looking for advice on how this would sound.