The 'Apple Tablet Event' thread

mcullinan

Re: The 'Apple Tablet Event' thread
« Reply #80 on: 29 Jan 2010, 03:44 pm »
One of the interesting things about the Kindle is a lot of the older books are public domain, so they are free. Ive gotten A Christmas Carol & Sherlock Holmes. There are many others out there. I guess a group decides to type them in and offer their version for free. Nice.

Mariusz

« Reply #81 on: 29 Jan 2010, 05:30 pm »
Ipad wasn't released with intentions of replacing your laptop or PC.
But I am sure that next gen. of products from Apple will integrade iPad's features and design in one way or the other.
Just do not expect it to be in $500 range.

As to iBooks and media/surfing features:
both my wife and daughter are very exited about it as well as its portability.  And IMHO that is where Apple's marketing is aiming.

Mariusz

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #82 on: 30 Jan 2010, 05:48 am »

iPad (don't like the name; sounds like a feminine hygiene product) to take a picture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsjU0K8QPhs

I want one of these for the Studio Six product & hope someone turns it into a cross between a giant touch pad and a wacom for my iMac.

dave

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #83 on: 30 Jan 2010, 05:56 am »
Can you name a single one that this one does that neither of those can?

It is going to be a whole lot better for reading a pdf or a book on the john or in bed than either.

dave

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #84 on: 30 Jan 2010, 06:28 am »
(tall) enough to house USB ports, and use a pruned OS X install

USB port on the left, available from Apple. To keep battery life up they needed to use a StrongARM (that's what an A4 is) -- same as iPhone, so iPhone OS. When iPhone gets multi-tasking so will iPad.

dave

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #85 on: 30 Jan 2010, 06:43 am »
an sd slot it

On the right in the picture in the post above.

dave

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #86 on: 30 Jan 2010, 06:50 am »
And how many of them carry around all three at the same time? 

I know at least 1... our heavy duty PC tech (we have 2 at our (mostly) Mac shop) replaced a phone & 3 PeeCees with his iPhone. He's gonna eat this up.

dave

Mike Nomad

« Reply #87 on: 30 Jan 2010, 07:00 am »

USB port on the left, available from Apple. To keep battery life up they needed to use a StrongARM (that's what an A4 is) -- same as iPhone, so iPhone OS. When iPhone gets multi-tasking so will iPad.

dave

Not sure what the graphic is you included. I'm guessing an adapter to plug into the big multi-pin port found on iPods, etc?

My point about the size of the device is that they hobbled functionality in the name of keeping the thickness down to 1/2 an inch. They stuck w/ A4 because it allows them to stay with software across the iPhone/iPod Touch. Magical _and_ revolutionary? Um, right. Whatever.

If Apple had the thickness of iPad match the base of a Macbook Pro (call it 3/4 of an inch), there would be plenty of room for all of the grunt in a MacBook Air (if they wanted to go that far). Battery life would be fine. There is no engineering problem here. It's all about Job-o and his mania against anything that smells like a Newton.

iPad. From the people that gave you a Unix machine with a one button mouse.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #88 on: 30 Jan 2010, 08:50 am »
a Unix machine with a one button mouse.

Thank goodness for that.

dave

Toka

« Reply #89 on: 30 Jan 2010, 09:18 am »

Weird...my "one button" mouse has two buttons??  :scratch:

JackD201

« Reply #90 on: 30 Jan 2010, 10:55 am »
Not sure what the graphic is you included. I'm guessing an adapter to plug into the big multi-pin port found on iPods, etc?

My point about the size of the device is that they hobbled functionality in the name of keeping the thickness down to 1/2 an inch. They stuck w/ A4 because it allows them to stay with software across the iPhone/iPod Touch. Magical _and_ revolutionary? Um, right. Whatever.

If Apple had the thickness of iPad match the base of a Macbook Pro (call it 3/4 of an inch), there would be plenty of room for all of the grunt in a MacBook Air (if they wanted to go that far). Battery life would be fine. There is no engineering problem here. It's all about Job-o and his mania against anything that smells like a Newton.

Size and weight vs an adapter........hmmmmm. I'll take it skinny. If I'm going on a trip where I'll need crunching power, it's the MBP that will get packed anyhow. Still, I'll wait for the second or third generation to make sure the kinks are all out including remote desktop.

I have multiple subscriptions to magazines and they create a mess over time. I don't collect them either so normally they just get thrown out. If my favorite magazines get in on this I'll likely follow.

Mike Nomad

« Reply #91 on: 30 Jan 2010, 05:03 pm »
Weird...my "one button" mouse has two buttons??  :scratch:

I don't know how old your Mac mouse is, but, a Mac mouse with more than one button (read, a "left click") is a relatively new thing. OS X had been around for a few years before Apple decided that it might be easier for people to hit a second button on a mouse, instead of having to use both hands, the mouse, and the keyboard, to execute a "right click."Fortunately, the "right click" function had always been there, and you could simply plug in a standard USB PC mouse with no need for driver installation.

Mike Nomad

« Reply #92 on: 30 Jan 2010, 05:15 pm »
Size and weight vs an adapter........hmmmmm. I'll take it skinny. If I'm going on a trip where I'll need crunching power, it's the MBP that will get packed anyhow. Still, I'll wait for the second or third generation to make sure the kinks are all out including remote desktop.

I guess I'm showing my age. Having computing experience that pre-dates the Osborne Era, I don't have a problem carrying my 15" MBP with whatever else I need.

Toka

« Reply #93 on: 30 Jan 2010, 07:04 pm »
As an aside, a friend sent me a link to an old thread on the Macrumors forum discussing the original iPod announcement. Some choice quotes:

"Doesn't a Mac with a CDR undermine the need for most of this? All that's left is the number of songs you can play and the ability to listen to all of them with headphones anywhere. Do I really need ALL my songs ALL the time?...won't last, another Cube".

"Why oh why would they do this?! It's so wrong! It's so stupid!"

"The Reality Distiortion Field™ is starting to warp Steve's mind if he thinks for one second that this thing is gonna take off."

:duh:

Not saying the iPad will have the same success, but still...

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #94 on: 30 Jan 2010, 08:25 pm »
I don't know how old your Mac mouse is, but, a Mac mouse with more than one button (read, a "left click") is a relatively new thing....you could simply plug in a standard USB PC mouse with no need for driver installation.

2005 for the former, 1998 for the latter

dave

Don_S

« Reply #95 on: 30 Jan 2010, 09:13 pm »
Toka,  Great post. Nothing like a little historical perspective to balance the hysterical perspective.    :lol:

As an aside, a friend sent me a link to an old thread on the Macrumors forum discussing the original iPod announcement. Some choice quotes:

"Doesn't a Mac with a CDR undermine the need for most of this? All that's left is the number of songs you can play and the ability to listen to all of them with headphones anywhere. Do I really need ALL my songs ALL the time?...won't last, another Cube".

"Why oh why would they do this?! It's so wrong! It's so stupid!"

"The Reality Distiortion Field™ is starting to warp Steve's mind if he thinks for one second that this thing is gonna take off."

:duh:

Not saying the iPad will have the same success, but still...

JackD201

« Reply #96 on: 30 Jan 2010, 11:45 pm »
I guess I'm showing my age. Having computing experience that pre-dates the Osborne Era, I don't have a problem carrying my 15" MBP with whatever else I need.

Working trips are always MBP time but when traveling with a wife and little kids that by the end of the trip invades my luggage space, every pound helps  :lol: :lol: :lol:

That brings me to another potential use. They can replace the portable DVD player we lug around to keep the kids occupied on long road trips and at airports.  :thumb:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?

JackD201

« Reply #98 on: 31 Jan 2010, 06:15 am »

PhilNYC

« Reply #99 on: 31 Jan 2010, 12:42 pm »
I was somewhat underwhelmed by the demonstration of the iPad.  But that said, I was also underwhelmed when the iPhone was first demoed as well...but once I actually got my hands on one and tried it, I was sold almost instantly on how great it was.  So I will wait to judge the iPad until I can actually try it out.

Since the iPad was announced, I have had a couple of specific situations where it would have been useful (eg. was demonstrating a website to someone at a coffee shop and would have loved to just be able to turn the thing to face them, and touch the screen instead of having to have them watch over my shoulder using my laptop).

Have rarely been in a situation where I was doing something on my iPhone and thought "damn, if only it was multitasking!"  So I'm not too worried about the absence of multitasking.

Would *absolutely* prefer to take something like the iPad on travel rather than a laptop.

Am definitely anxious to try one...