Poll

Do you think Brett Favre will play again or will he retire after yesterday's loss?

Favre will play for the Vikings for the 2010 Season
Favre will retire again and stayed retired this time!

Brett Favre

droht

Re: Brett Favre
« Reply #20 on: 26 Jan 2010, 05:51 am »
I'm not a Favre fan, and he certainly threw a crappy pass at the end of regulation, but what about the Vikes play calling on first and second down leading up to the INT?  They were acting like they were at the 20 yd line and just setting up for a chip shot field goal.  A short pass on first or second down would've made loads of sense. 

hmen

« Reply #21 on: 26 Jan 2010, 05:59 am »
Sometimes pride is stronger than common sense.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #22 on: 26 Jan 2010, 06:37 am »
I'm not a Favre fan, and he certainly threw a crappy pass at the end of regulation, but what about the Vikes play calling on first and second down leading up to the INT?  They were acting like they were at the 20 yd line and just setting up for a chip shot field goal.  A short pass on first or second down would've made loads of sense.
Sometimes pride is stronger than common sense.

As is stupidity.  :thumb:

In a mistake-ridden game, Brett made the biggest mistake of them all. It brings back "You're no daisy; You're no daisy at all!!!" 

The strain was more than he could bear.  :lol:

He won't be back.

Go Saints,
Jerry

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #23 on: 26 Jan 2010, 06:53 am »
As is stupidity.  :thumb:

In a mistake-ridden game, Brett made the biggest mistake of them all. It brings back "You're no daisy; You're no daisy at all!!!" 

The strain was more than he could bear.  :lol:

He won't be back.

Go Saints,
Jerry
Jerry
Who Dat? It ain't no saint,, just a laker fan, Dat Who.  :jester:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #24 on: 26 Jan 2010, 07:36 am »

I you're slightly underestimating the man's pride. That should have been selfevident from just watching him play hurt. I don't think his pride will let him walk away from the game.  :dunno:

Cheers,
Robin
Maybe so.  At some point, a feller has to reconcile that with reality.  He's got a pretty good reality,  I would think.  If he can appreciate it. 

jimdgoulding

« Reply #25 on: 26 Jan 2010, 07:40 am »
Yeah, maybe the Vikes, I don't know that is was Favre specifically, got conventional when they shouldn't have.  I like yer thinkin.

Bigfish

« Reply #26 on: 26 Jan 2010, 12:01 pm »

I remember thinking at the time, "what are you doing?"  They were acting like a 52 yard field goal was in the bag.  I sure Brett handed the ball off on first and second down because they were the plays sent in to him.  Then with the time, 12 men in the huddle and the interception made for a strange ending for the Vikes!

weirdo

« Reply #27 on: 26 Jan 2010, 01:13 pm »
Bret got Min. closer to the prize than they have been in a long time. I say bravo to him and the Vikes. I think its funny how the press has treated him. You got a half dozen wife abusers on every football team, players with compeltely intolerable and unprofessional behavior of all sorts and the press decides to get all over Farve just because he wavers about retiring.

Many of our sports "heroes" played too damn long. The list is very long in all major sports. It was a hell of a swan song and he went out very well. He didn't loose the game, the Vikes just lost. It happens. 

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #28 on: 26 Jan 2010, 05:52 pm »
Great article by Gregg Easterbrook  on ESPN Page 2.  Pretty much how I feel.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #29 on: 26 Jan 2010, 05:55 pm »
He didn't loose the game, the Vikes just lost. It happens.

I'm afraid I and many others will be disagreeing with this comment of yours bigtime. Brett blew a huge opportunity for the Vikings to win the game on a field goal attempt. All he had to do was fall down and leave it up to their field goal kicker. But he didn't do that, now did he. It was Brett who threw that INT and it ended up costing the Vikings the game. It's as clearcut as one can get to being a game losing choke and I'm sure it's the play that all Vikings fans will be remembering for a long long time. And it's this 1 play that has me thinking Brett will be back next year.

Cheers,
Robin

jimdgoulding

« Reply #30 on: 26 Jan 2010, 06:51 pm »

Wonder what the Vikings organization might be thinking.  Pity the fool.  If he wants to come back and the big dogs don't want him, do they have to honor his contract?  That could get interesting.

Bigfish

« Reply #31 on: 26 Jan 2010, 09:23 pm »
Surprise, surprise, the word on the NFL Sirius Network is that the Vikings do not expect Favre to return next year.  This after all is Brett Favre who has retired the past two springs!  I think he is likely to retire for good but I will not believe it until the first game in September and he is not in uniform.

Ken

TomS

« Reply #32 on: 26 Jan 2010, 09:32 pm »
Surprise, surprise, the word on the NFL Sirius Network is that the Vikings do not expect Favre to return next year.  This after all is Brett Favre who has retired the past two springs!  I think he is likely to retire for good but I will not believe it until the first game in September and he is not in uniform.

Ken
His wife was cringing in her seat the same way mine does from the passenger seat while my teen daughter drives the car... 

He's still an unbelievable player, but the toll of those hits had to be huge.

hmen

« Reply #33 on: 26 Jan 2010, 10:27 pm »
He had a great career, holds a lot of records and was one of the most exciting quarterbacks of his generation.
However, I think there is a legitimate case that he choked Sunday and IMHO he choked against the Giants in the NFC championship a couple of years ago. I think it's time for him to pack it up.
It's a pity that the media is going to subject us to yet another tear-filled "retirement" announcement and then another summer of speculation about whether he's going to play again.

jackman

« Reply #34 on: 26 Jan 2010, 10:34 pm »
His wife was cringing in her seat the same way mine does from the passenger seat while my teen daughter drives the car... 

He's still an unbelievable player, but the toll of those hits had to be huge.

For all we know, she does that every game.  This whole thing hinges on Brett's monster ego.  I'm still thinking he will be back.  Outside of one or two bad plays in the final game (he was not alone!), Favre played well.  He had a great season and gets to play half his games in a nice warm rollerdome.  He also gets to play in a cushy division where they win all of their home games and get to play the Lions twice per year along with the "rebuilding" Bears.  They are almost a shoe-in to win the division next year and possibly go all the way if they can teach Peterson to hold on to the football. 

Look for a sudden change of heart from Fav-Re. :thumb:

MarkM

« Reply #35 on: 27 Jan 2010, 12:32 am »
I agree Favre has a monster ego, backed by that cannon of an arm.   Even though he played for the enemy, Brett Favre embodied what football is all about.   Too bad he turned into a prima donna towards the end of his career.

Physically, he still has the tools that many 22 year olds wish they had and had one of his best years in his 19th season, amazing! 

Over his career, he has been the ultimate gun slinger with too many misfires in big games, hence one Superbowl ring.

Thanks for the entertainment Favre, time to retire to the football commentators chair.
« Last Edit: 27 Jan 2010, 02:12 am by MarkM »

gerald porzio

« Reply #36 on: 27 Jan 2010, 12:42 am »
Gunslinger captures him perfectly. Most TDs. Most Interceptions. A great career, but tarnished a bit by an overactive ego.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #37 on: 27 Jan 2010, 12:48 am »
It is possible, maybe probable, that the Vikings could have won by a field goal in regulation. By throwing that interception on the last play, Favre lost that chance for his team. There is no guarantee that any field goal will be made this season.
Losing the game came at the hands of the Vikings defense for not preventing the Saints from getting into field goal range.
Maybe we should blame the coin toss. If the Vikings had won that the outcome might have been reversed.
Anyhow, us Monday Morning QBs can bleat forever but the game is in the record books and none of us will impact that with our woulda, shoulda, coulda chatter.

Bigfish

« Reply #38 on: 27 Jan 2010, 12:51 am »
I listened to Rich Gannon today talk about his working with Tavaris Jackson to try to help him improve his game.  Rich was asked if he thought Tavaris could develop into an elite pro bowl quarterback and his answer was no, he did not believe so.  Drafting #28 or #29 I wonder if the Vikings will be able to draft a could college quarterback or do they have the potential to trade up to take one?  They brought a back-up quarterback over from Houston this year but he never played after the preseason.  I don't think they have their, after Favre, future quarterback on their roster. 

No Favre in 2010 and you can hand the division to the Packers, who might win it even if Favre comes back!

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
« Reply #39 on: 27 Jan 2010, 01:42 am »
I have heard that when Brett is on the field, he likes to compare it to being in the sweet spot of a good 2 channel system with great imaging along with a wide and deep sound-stage, and that he blocks all the other noise around him out.
I have also heard that he has quite the 2 channel system, but he does not get into wire and cable debates.
People have asked him why he doesn't get into multi-channel and he says he does not want to get in the habit of hearing the confusing crowd noise behind him or too deep to each side! 
I bet Brett visits hear often to get his game plan from all the threads of thoughts and ideas!
Brett, when you read this, you got my come back vote!  :thumb: