PSB B25

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: PSB B25
« Reply #20 on: 6 Apr 2010, 06:49 pm »
I like the B-25's.  PSB makes some excellent speakers.  I've been very impressed with the top of the line PSB Synchrony's.  My friend has a pair mated with an ARC tube preamp, Belle's Hot Rod amp and A Marantz 8001 SACDP. The sound is smooth, warm, detailed with great depth.  Bass is controlled, fast and deep.  We compared them to a pair of Paradigm S-8's and the Synchrony's were in a totally different league, sounding like they cost thousands more.

chgolatin2

« Reply #21 on: 9 Apr 2010, 02:20 pm »
I'm still waiting for my new cross over network from Skiing Ninja, I know this upgrade will take these speakers to a whole new level  :thumb: :eyebrows:

chgolatin2

« Reply #22 on: 29 Apr 2010, 05:09 pm »
Yay, my new crossovers arrived today.  Installed them and I am waiting for the glue to settle and dry in.  I will post some pics of my new crossovers as well as the old tiny ones that came with the speakers from factory.  These are huge compared to the original ones  :thumb:

chgolatin2

« Reply #23 on: 29 Apr 2010, 06:42 pm »

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #24 on: 20 May 2010, 02:01 am »
Those things are huge! Will they fit inside the 25s?
I have owned three different PSB models. The Platinum M2, Stratus Mini and Century 300i. Still have the 300is sitting unused on the floor. Maybe I'll crack them open for a look at the xover.

chgolatin2

« Reply #25 on: 21 May 2010, 03:44 am »
Yes they do fit, I glued them tightly on the sidewall.  No issues so far plus Sean from Skiing Ninja make sures that all of his mods properly fit one way or another :)~  Huge improvement, now I'm exploring if I could replace the metal dome type tweeter for a soft dome type  :roll: :eyebrows:

srb

« Reply #26 on: 21 May 2010, 06:04 am »
Huge improvement, now I'm exploring if I could replace the metal dome type tweeter for a soft dome type

Then you would most likely be modifying or replacing the tweeter crossover.  Again.

Steve

baldrick

« Reply #27 on: 21 May 2010, 10:56 am »
now I'm exploring if I could replace the metal dome type tweeter for a soft dome type  :roll: :eyebrows:
Glad the crossovers worked out for you.  I would not recommend replacing the tweeters.  They are already very good to begin with, they are responsible for most of the PSB's great sound, and srb is right - you would have to tweak the crossover again to make it sound right.

jrtrent

« Reply #28 on: 23 May 2010, 12:32 pm »
Whatever happen to buying AMERICAN and SUPPORTING OUR OWN ECONOMY?

My take on that is even if the product is made elsewhere, I'm still supporting American businesses and my local economy.  My previous system was all-Linn, so mostly made in Scotland (the arm was made in Japan), but my purchases supported the American importer/distrbutor (Audiophile Systems, Ltd.), those working for the carrier used to get the product to my local store, helped feed and clothe the children of the store owner, and put some sales tax money into my local and state governments.  That said, when components began to fail after 20 years or so of use, I responded to President Bush's plea for stimulus spending by deciding to go with American companies:  Well Tempered Record Player (from New York based Stanalog, not the new Amadeus made in China), Grado cartridge/phono stage, Audio by Van Alstine electronics, and Vandersteen speakers (though I can't say where all the parts/materials were sourced from for all these products).

This little speaker is one good speaker and a good value at its price point.  I really dont know who or which speaker can really compete.

A friend of mine uses small, stand-mounted PSB speakers (don't know the model) that he got from a now-defunct local store many years ago.  They still sound great.  Another speaker in that price range is the Bose 301 series V (made in Mexico).  I got a pair of those from the local Bose store in April to use in a bedroom TV system, but have to admit to being very surprised at how well they perform in my main system; in fact, it's the Vandersteens that have been moved to the bedroom.  I'm not saying the Bose are better, but the two speaker systems have different strengths, and for the type of program material used and the way I listen in the two rooms, I'm taking better advantage of the characteristics of both speakers with the current placement.  I'm finding the Bose, now the lowest-cost component in that system, to be fully satisfying, but then, Linn always maintained that speakers were the least important part of the playback chain.

chgolatin2

« Reply #29 on: 24 May 2010, 07:07 am »
What is anything is still made in America today? Some products are designed and engineered here in the good ole USA however where exactly are the parts coming from or built???  Somewhere in Asia and not the USA.  Like most of our products here in the USA hardly anything is built, manufactured, assembled, sourced here.  Sadly but that's how Capitalism works. Those days that American's really cherished what was made here and supported American products are slowly but surely disappearing in the name of savings and cheap products  :scratch: What else can you do but go with the flow :wink:

My take on that is even if the product is made elsewhere, I'm still supporting American businesses and my local economy.  My previous system was all-Linn, so mostly made in Scotland (the arm was made in Japan), but my purchases supported the American importer/distrbutor (Audiophile Systems, Ltd.), those working for the carrier used to get the product to my local store, helped feed and clothe the children of the store owner, and put some sales tax money into my local and state governments.  That said, when components began to fail after 20 years or so of use, I responded to President Bush's plea for stimulus spending by deciding to go with American companies:  Well Tempered Record Player (from New York based Stanalog, not the new Amadeus made in China), Grado cartridge/phono stage, Audio by Van Alstine electronics, and Vandersteen speakers (though I can't say where all the parts/materials were sourced from for all these products).

A friend of mine uses small, stand-mounted PSB speakers (don't know the model) that he got from a now-defunct local store many years ago.  They still sound great.  Another speaker in that price range is the Bose 301 series V (made in Mexico).  I got a pair of those from the local Bose store in April to use in a bedroom TV system, but have to admit to being very surprised at how well they perform in my main system; in fact, it's the Vandersteens that have been moved to the bedroom.  I'm not saying the Bose are better, but the two speaker systems have different strengths, and for the type of program material used and the way I listen in the two rooms, I'm taking better advantage of the characteristics of both speakers with the current placement.  I'm finding the Bose, now the lowest-cost component in that system, to be fully satisfying, but then, Linn always maintained that speakers were the least important part of the playback chain.