Looking to upgrade

revrob

Looking to upgrade
« on: 21 Jan 2010, 06:08 pm »
Salk Family,

I currently own the HT3s and absolutely loved them no plans to upgrade. I also have a Cary 306/200 cd player with an LSA Signature integrated amplifier.

I was thinking about upgrading the Cary. My budget is $2000.00 and I would consider used or new, preferably used, more bank for the buck. I definitely like a dedicated cd player as this is for 2 channel only and don't want to purchase a dvd player as my reference cd player.

I love the Cary sound and looking for similar qualities but the player does not have SACD capabilities which is a must. Any and all suggestions appreciated. Must stay within budget.

Thanks,
Steve

Nuance

Re: Looking to upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jan 2010, 08:07 pm »
Have you thought about streaming instead, using something like a Slim Devices or Modwright Transporter? 

In my opinion the CD transport part isn't all that important, but the DAC is.  As long as the transport isn't producing audible jitter/measures well, a "lower cost" transport paired with an outboard DAC will work very well.  But if you're looking for just a dedicated transport, what about Musical Fidelity or Audio Research?  They make awesome transports IMO.

taoggniklat

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jan 2010, 08:13 pm »
Have you thought about streaming instead, using something like a Slim Devices or Modwright Transporter? 

In my opinion the CD transport part isn't all that important, but the DAC is.  As long as the transport isn't producing audible jitter/measures well, a "lower cost" transport paired with an outboard DAC will work very well.  But if you're looking for just a dedicated transport, what about Musical Fidelity or Audio Research?  They make awesome transports IMO.

It sounds to me that his issue is not the transport, but that he wants SACD. If it was just the transport I would recommend getting a DAC (since he likes the Cary).

Big Red Machine

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jan 2010, 08:15 pm »
For $2k, get a SB and one of Frank's new DAC's and you'd have enough to mod the SB some.  Maybe a better amp and keep the CDP?  I had a 303/300, IIRC, and it was nice but with external DAC you'd be in good shape with current unit.

Stylus

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jan 2010, 08:16 pm »
I would check out the McIntosh SACD player.  It is 2-channel only.  Retails for $3,500 I believe so a used on should fall within your budget.

revrob

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jan 2010, 08:44 pm »
For $2k, get a SB and one of Frank's new DAC's and you'd have enough to mod the SB some.  Maybe a better amp and keep the CDP?  I had a 303/300, IIRC, and it was nice but with external DAC you'd be in good shape with current unit.

Big Red,

I have a great amp unless I go to separates which is something I am considering in the future. How does a DAC help with improving the performance in sound and how does that add the SACD capabilities. Any suggestions.

taoggniklat

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jan 2010, 08:53 pm »
Big Red,

I have a great amp unless I go to separates which is something I am considering in the future. How does a DAC help with improving the performance in sound and how does that add the SACD capabilities. Any suggestions.

An external DAC won't add SACD to any player. It can however, improve the sound of your current cd player.

Basically, if you are happy with the Cary and only wanted to improve the sound quality..then an external DAC is the way to go. If you are wanting to upgrade because of SACD, than a DAC wont do anything for you..you will need a new player.

Nuance

« Reply #7 on: 21 Jan 2010, 09:08 pm »
It sounds to me that his issue is not the transport, but that he wants SACD. If it was just the transport I would recommend getting a DAC (since he likes the Cary).

You're right - I missed that.  Thanks

revrob

« Reply #8 on: 22 Jan 2010, 09:03 pm »

Will a system like the Modwright Transporter really improved the sound that much over the Cary? What about the selection of music that's available? What do I do with my old cd's, I have a lot of money invested in them?

I can't keep the Cary and whatever I decided to buy because the sale of the Cary will have to pay for its replacement.

Thanks,
Steve

turkey

« Reply #9 on: 22 Jan 2010, 09:17 pm »
I would recommend you stick with what you have. You like the sound, and you have a lot invested in CDs.

SACD has pretty much failed, and I don't think you're going to see a good selection of titles, with less and less available as time goes on.

I haven't found that SACD sounds better than CD, unless you get into surround-type systems, and that's a different ballgame.

taoggniklat

« Reply #10 on: 22 Jan 2010, 09:34 pm »
Personally I would keep the player and get an outboard dac and see how that improves my sound over getting SACD.

sfox7076

« Reply #11 on: 22 Jan 2010, 10:41 pm »
You could also get the Oppo SE Blu Ray and see how it is.  You can buy and get 30 days to evaluate/return.  Likely no where near as good as the Cary, but an interesting way to play with SACD.

Shawn

Nuance

« Reply #12 on: 22 Jan 2010, 11:39 pm »
I have no idea if the transport would sound better than the Cary.  That's for you to decide.  But I bet it at least hangs with it.  With that said, based on what you've said about the Cary, keep it.  SACD is dead, and it sounds like you have a ton invested in Redbook CDs.  Why ditch something you know you love?  Don't let upgradeitus ruin your fun.  :)