Request for help on small room treatment

jimdgoulding

Re: Request for help on small room treatment
« Reply #80 on: 13 Sep 2010, 06:08 pm »
Regards your question in the close of your last post and your traps in place, IMO, none.  So, waz happenin these days?

zydeco

« Reply #81 on: 18 Sep 2010, 11:05 pm »
Jim

Thanks for the response. Well, I move back to short-wall arrangement with nearfield set-up but am now away for a couple of weeks on business. This process has taught me that there is a lot in the detailed set-up of the listening / speaker position and treatment so I'm reticent to get to a conclusion before I've had a reasonable time to listen / measure / tweak. It's clear, though, that it's a lot better than the original short-wall set-up in which I attempted to have the speakers as far apart as possible to get a wide sound-stage. I'll report back in a few weeks with a more detailed review of the set-up.

Cheers,
Zydeco

jimdgoulding

« Reply #82 on: 18 Sep 2010, 11:40 pm »
Your 'sense' of your stage width and breadth may surprise you.  Happy trails until we meet again.  Gene Autry sing that?

zydeco

« Reply #83 on: 15 Nov 2010, 04:14 am »
Yes, I'm still tinkering with the speaker / room placement and, now, speaker selection. Since the last post I've moved the system from long-wall to short-wall and, now, back to long-wall. It seems that the long-wall produces a more coherent mid-range while the bass issues are largely mitigated due to a growing set of bass traps including the cumulative effect of a lounge / bass traps reducing the rear wall reflection. My guess, though, is that once I get a dedicated chair (without a high back) then it might be back to the short-wall.

More recent effects have focused on optimising the near-field set-up. I was apprehensive about the need for this set-up but now see it as offering a different perspective on recordings. The set-up has involved a set of subtle changes to speaker height which have re-enforced the importance of having the tweeter exactly at listening height for this type of set-up. I've also played with a range of listening geometries with distance between speakers range from 75 to 125% of the distance from the speaker to chair. The "audio physic" set-up was beguiling but, ultimately, I've moved back to an equilateral triangle as it seems to work best across the widest set of musical styles.

Speaker selection is, now, on my mind as the current sealed MTM speakers sitting on-top of dual, isobaric, woofers being an imposing site in the near-field set-up. I have, then, borrowed some smaller ported MT speakers that use the same line of mid/tweeter drivers but which are much less imposing. The comparison was interesting. My existing MTM units provide a very large soundstage with tonnes of details and work well for good recordings whereas the MT units in comparison have a more natural soundstage and are more forgiving on poor recordings. I know that more listening is required but my current conclusion is that whilst the MTM worked well in the standard (10-12ft to speaker) set-up it might just be too much of a good thing in the near-field.

I'd be grateful to hear from folks with experience in near-field set-ups as to the speaker designs that work well. Some people talk of driver integration as being critical but I've not found at issue with the MTM units and note that quite a few professional monitors (e.g., Harbeth, Yamaha) use off-set bass, mid-range and tweeter units in a single large cabinet. My interest, right now, is more on the design criteria rather than specific speakers as I'm thinking that I'd build a unit that would work with my active cross-over as well as match my woofers.

Regards
Zydeco

zydeco

« Reply #84 on: 23 Nov 2010, 09:33 pm »
The more I think about speakers for my small room - with the near-field set-up - the more I think that a critical factor is dispersion characteristics. My guess is that the right answer is controlled directivity speakers such as a waveguide or wide-baffle speaker so that the short arrival time reflections are much reduced in magnitude. I guess that a combination of a more normal dynamic box speaker is would entail requirement for additional room treatment but this runs the risk of overdamping the room as well as further destroying the aesthetic. Has anyone had experience with such set-ups in a small room with near-field set-up?

Regards
Zydeco

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #85 on: 23 Nov 2010, 10:03 pm »
Either controlled directivity - or - a speaker that has a very good even off axis power response.  Half of the problems with reflections from the sides is that the response balance is drastically different off axis.    Many ways to skin a cat.

Bryan