Kinda OT - Onkyo nd-s1 Digital iPod Dock

BrassEar

Kinda OT - Onkyo nd-s1 Digital iPod Dock
« on: 19 Jan 2010, 05:52 am »
Hi Vin:

I know that you have played with one of these but they apparently STILL are not available in the US yet. I don't suppose that you are planning to import some of these and offer your own PS or battery supply? You could make a killing but Wadia might not like you anymore....  :lol:

Do you know how to get one of these from UK mail order audio stores?

TIA

Mariusz

Re: Kinda OT - Onkyo nd-s1 Digital iPod Dock
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jan 2010, 06:00 am »
I just play with one and it sounds great. Spoke to Vinnie and converting it to run on batteries or being mod to work in conjunction with Isabellina DAC is not a problem. I should have my ND-S1 ready when Vinnie is done with the move to new facility.

P.S

(it works fine with my iTouch but iPhone can not sync with the main unite and operating via remote is troublesome)

Best
Mariusz :thumb:

*edit for P.S part

BrassEar

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jan 2010, 06:25 pm »
Thanks Mariusz:

The more I read about this unit, the more I want one. It appears to offer optical, SPDIF, and USB digital out.  Wondering what dac would be a good match and which digital out might the way to go. I assume that any DAC that offers reclocking would make the jitter of the various interfaces a non-issue.

This looks like a Wadia killer for sure at the price.

BrassEar

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jan 2010, 06:27 pm »
(it works fine with my iTouch but iPhone can not sync with the main unite and operating via remote is troublesome)

Thanks - have you tried it with the iPod classic? I have the 160GB version and I am hoping that the iPod navigation will still work in digital out mode. I am assuming that if your iPod firmware is up to date that navigation should work.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #4 on: 19 Jan 2010, 07:27 pm »
Hi Vin:

I know that you have played with one of these but they apparently STILL are not available in the US yet. I don't suppose that you are planning to import some of these and offer your own PS or battery supply? You could make a killing but Wadia might not like you anymore....  :lol:

Do you know how to get one of these from UK mail order audio stores?

TIA

Hi BrassEar,

I got an extra one that is new-in-the-box if you are interested.  I got it from my new Japanese Red Wine Audio distributor (MixWave, Inc.), but all they had in stock is Silver (not Black).  Feel free to email me if you are interested.  I had to pay full price + shipping and duties from Japan, but I promise I can sell it for much less than the iTransport.  I mainly wanted a few for testing with our Black Lightning battery power supply, and with our Isabellina HPA (great combo!)

I won't be an importer for the Onkyo docks.  I'm sure Onkyo-USA will eventually take on this role, but I don't understand why they have not already make it to the USA.  :scratch:

Just like the Squeezebox 2 and Squeezebox 3, they run on 5Vdc and the input plug is a 5.5mm/2.1mm dc barrel plug (center pin positive +). 

We've sold a large batch of Isabellina HPA's to our new Japanese distributor and every unit was configured with both 12V and 5V output, so they can power either the Wadia iTransport or Onkyo ND-S1 from the internal SLA battery of the Isabellina HPA (kind of like having a built-in Black Lightning supply).

But yes, they can also be powered via a Black Lightning Series 10 unit set to 5V output.

Thanks Mariusz:

The more I read about this unit, the more I want one. It appears to offer optical, SPDIF, and USB digital out.  Wondering what dac would be a good match and which digital out might the way to go. I assume that any DAC that offers reclocking would make the jitter of the various interfaces a non-issue.

It has optical and coax digital outputs, and a USB input that is used to sync with your iPod, or provide USB to SPDIF conversion (with the press of a button to toggle between these two modes).

Like the iTransport, these should be used with the 6th generation iPods and newer in order to get full functionality (access to the iPod's menu while playing) while getting a digital output.

You might find my post on headfi helpful as well: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/6163646-post110.html

It works with iPhone - just when you get that message pop up when yo plug it in, click "No". 

Regarding the remote, like the Wadia iTransport's I never use it and do not see the point.  You still need to see the iPod/iPhone/iPod Touch screen to navigate and pick your music, so you are already very close to the unit - so what is the point of the remote?  :roll:  8)   If it was a squeezebox where you can see the display from many feet away, then I see the point of a remote!

Hope this helps,

Vinnie