T8 on AudiogoN

Listens2tubes

T8 on AudiogoN
« on: 16 Jan 2010, 12:47 am »
A while back oneinthepipe posted a T8 on AudiogoN. http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatube&1266191209&/Audio-By-Van-Alstein-Transcendent-Eight Since his post I kept watching until the first week of this year when I bought it. I had the seller, David Weinhart, ship it to Frank for a phono stage and new faceplate. I am psyched!!! 8)

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
Re: T8 on AudiogoN
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jan 2010, 01:03 am »
Congratulations.  Great price on a great preamp. 

Listens2tubes

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jan 2010, 01:14 am »
Thanks for the tip big One...you are the man :thumb:

martyo

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jan 2010, 01:41 pm »
Nice pick-up Tubes. What were you running before? Don't put those Mullards in the line section. :)  8)

Listens2tubes

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jan 2010, 02:41 pm »
That T8 in my signature is an early small chassis converted Pas 4i, upgraded around 2005. I have RCA cleartop 6CG7's and 6DJ8 Bugle Boys and some NOS Amperex, Philips and ? 6922's to roll thru my new baby :inlove:.

martyo

« Reply #5 on: 16 Jan 2010, 03:37 pm »
Cool. So you will be able to give us the comparison of T8/12AT and T8/6N1Ps.

You're definitely ready for rollin'. I'll be interested to hear your rollin' results.  8)

mchuckp

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jan 2010, 08:55 pm »
I was eyeing that unit on Agon that you mentioned with the same idea of having Frank fix it up and add a phono stage.  I ended up just getting a brand spankin' new T8 that he had that already had volume and phono added with the new mod that allows for taller tubes that he mentions in this thread.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=73173.0

I can say that I LOVE it.  Can't believe the life it has brought to my set up. 

Good choice on the T8.  Enjoy!

Listens2tubes

« Reply #7 on: 26 Jan 2010, 12:25 am »
 :drool: Man, the suspence is killing me. :hyper: This waiting for the stork to deliver my new baby :inlove: consumes my every waking moment. :o I can't wait to hear the Insight Phono section trump my old faithful Super PAS 4i turned Transcendence Eight SL - ECC801s phono section. Wink2

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
« Reply #8 on: 26 Jan 2010, 12:49 am »
You're going to love the preamp. 

Incidentally, I just sent Frank an email about 6922 tubes in the T8 preamp. 

Listens2tubes

« Reply #9 on: 28 Jan 2010, 05:22 pm »
 :D UPS delivered my baby this morning. I opened it and it looks great. Can't wait to get home tonight :drool:

more later, back to work :duh:

martyo

« Reply #10 on: 28 Jan 2010, 05:32 pm »
Incidentally, I just sent Frank an email about 6922 tubes in the T8 preamp. 
What about 6922 tubes in the T8?

martyo

« Reply #11 on: 28 Jan 2010, 05:33 pm »
:D UPS delivered my baby this morning. I opened it and it looks great. Can't wait to get home tonight :drool:

more later, back to work :duh:

Sounds like a perfect 1/2 day vacation day. :eyebrows:

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
« Reply #12 on: 28 Jan 2010, 07:45 pm »
What about 6922 tubes in the T8?

Electrically, they will work.  According to Frank, they might not be as dynamic and transparent as the 6CG7 because they draw less heater current.  However, they are not very expensive and might be worth a try.  With an AVA system, I would expect a deterioration in sound, based upon Frank's comments, but in a system with a mix of components, maybe the synergy would be better.  I don't know. When I get a chance, I will try some 6922 tubes, but I don't expect an improvement in sound.

Listens2tubes

« Reply #13 on: 28 Jan 2010, 11:38 pm »
Electrically, they will work.  According to Frank, they might not be as dynamic and transparent as the 6CG7 because they draw less heater current.  However, they are not very expensive and might be worth a try.  With an AVA system, I would expect a deterioration in sound, based upon Frank's comments, but in a system with a mix of components, maybe the synergy would be better.  I don't know. When I get a chance, I will try some 6922 tubes, but I don't expect an improvement in sound.

I told Frank that I can use 6N1P,6CG7/6FQ7, 6922, 6DJ8, ECC88 and 7308's in my Curcio driver boards for the MkIV amps. He said they should all work in the T8. I have a boat load to roll and will try to report results as I go. :D

Listens2tubes

« Reply #14 on: 28 Jan 2010, 11:52 pm »
Back to the real crux of the matter. I have the new 17" Transcsedence Eight on my desk. I will be busy for the 2 days and hope to get it in the system on Saturdy night. If anyone is in the New Jersey area and wants to A/B compare the two T8 versions or try The 6N1P T8 in their system email me to set up a time.

If you look at my website you'll see the early diminutive T8 with a power switch box next to it. That switch box with be moved or altered. That I have been mulling over for the last few weeks. I may completely rework the "rack" before all is said and done.

Hmm do I seem calm and cool? Well inside I'm more  :bounce: :hyper: :banana piano: :singing:

Breath deep.....Ah, look at that beauty :inlove:

Neal :wave:

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #15 on: 29 Jan 2010, 03:07 am »
If anyone is in the New Jersey area and wants to A/B compare the two T8 versions or try The 6N1P T8 in their system email me to set up a time.

You rock, Neal. What a sweet offer. :thumb:   Very cool.

If you ever find yourself in the Southern California area, drop me a note. You're more than welcomed to come and listen to my T8.   :beer:

Respectfully,
Jerry

Listens2tubes

« Reply #16 on: 1 Feb 2010, 04:14 am »
OK, so far I have tried Valvo CCa E88CC, Philips ECG JAN 6922 Pearl Cryo Ultra Low Noise, Amperex: JAN 7308, Bugle Boy 6DJ8/ECC88, orange label "A" frame  6DJ8/ECC88, orange label PQ 6922,  Seimens E88CC, RCA Cleartop 6CG7 and Sylvania JAN 6922's. I still have some Mullard E88CC, Raytheon USN 6922, Amperex JAN 6922 and just for giggles if they test good some GE 6DJ8's.  :o  It was a really fun day! Over the next few days I'll log my results but so far the Bugle Boys are the clear winners, with the Sylvania's close behind. More details later.

As for a comparison of the original T8 to the new T8 that will have to wait for another day. It has long been my custom to turn on my system 30 minutes to an hour before critical listening/company/enjoyment. Now I realize it was the preamp needing to warm up. So in the days ahead I will power the mini T8 for an hour or so while I continue tube rolling. Man I love this job. 8)

Oh, I almost forgot, my preamp is across the room from my amps. Connecting them is 27 feet of Audioquest Coral interconnect. Maybe Frank can explain this but, my new baby has higher gain than it's the small chassis brother. Where normal listening to cd the volume knob was at 11 o'clock now it's at 9 o'clock. The same for phono which was 12 o'clock now 10 o'clock. Which means no more past 12 for even concert level listening. :thumb:

« Last Edit: 3 Feb 2010, 03:29 am by Listens2tubes »

Listens2tubes

« Reply #17 on: 7 Feb 2010, 03:54 am »
Well I have been testing tons of tubes and will be doing a bit more rolling tomorrow. The system is sounding more natural than it ever has. :thumb:

I will set up the small chassis tomorrow and let it warm with my old cd player for an hour or two while trying a few more suitors for the young one. :lol:

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
« Reply #18 on: 7 Feb 2010, 05:08 am »
Neal:

I hope that my questions aren't an imposition. 

Is the 6DJ8/ECC88 a short tube like the 6N1P and 6922 or tall like the 6CG7?

Is the 6922 the same height as the 6N1P?

Frank thought that the 6922 might be less dynamic and transparent than the 6CG7.  Did you have that experience?

Thanks,

1 INTHEPIPE

Listens2tubes

« Reply #19 on: 7 Feb 2010, 03:47 pm »
The 6922, 6DJ8 and 6N1P are between 1.75" - 2, the 6CG7s measure 2 5/16". Of course I'm running vintage tubes which, for my money, the newer tubes never measure up to. That said, I have noticed the Sylvania's on ebay for under 20 buck buy it now prices, well worth a spin. Look for JAN 6922 SYLVANIA MADE IN THE U.S.A. printed in green. I'll post pix later. I'm listening to them now and really like their open detailed presentation. :D Eva Cassidy is lulling me back to the sweatspot....gotta go :eyebrows: