Techniques/Speakers for reducing hiss with Nuforce Icon?

Talisker

• Ethan Prater's Blog
Just got a Nuforce Icon for use with a desktop/PC system - so far, so mostly good.

But I get a detectable (not overwhelming, but noticeable) low-level hiss whenever the unit is powered on. Doesn't matter if there's anything connected to the inputs, nor does it seem to be affected by the volume control.

Any thoughts on how to eliminate this sound?

At the moment I've got some crappy two-way speakers from an Onkyo integrated desktop system. Was thinking to replace with some Monitor RS90HDs or Energy rc-Minis, though I saw in this forum that people were having trouble with the latter.

Anything else I can do, or is the Icon just a noisy amp?

RickDangerous

Re: Techniques/Speakers for reducing hiss with Nuforce Icon?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jan 2010, 10:29 pm »
I remember reading a document on the Nuforce website about the Icon design and why there is hiss when I got my Icon but I can't find it anymore, maybe someone else will point you towards it.

I wonder if the Icon amp will also have the hiss?

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #2 on: 17 Jan 2010, 07:28 am »
Icon is mainly designed to use with S-1 or S-X speaker. I suggest that you get the S-X speaker.
Icon Amp has no hiss and is more suitable for general speakers.

Talisker

• Ethan Prater's Blog
« Reply #3 on: 17 Jan 2010, 05:11 pm »
Argh - that's too bad. Such a beautiful unit, and still the only (I believe) single box USB DAC on the market that outputs both to speakers and headphones.

The competition's much more intense for separate USB/headphone + standalone amp boxes.

If you ever design an Icon for use with non-proprietary speakers, then I'll be first in line! But I'll send this one back, a little disappointed there wasn't a little more notice about the hiss (sounds like the Nuforce folks know about it - just don't publicize it).

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #4 on: 23 Jan 2010, 02:06 pm »
You should use the uDAC and Icon Amp instead.

The hiss with Icon is speaker dependent so hard for us to say one way or another.

tritisan

« Reply #5 on: 8 Dec 2010, 08:42 pm »
I, too, hear hiss out of my Paradigm Atoms, driven by the Icon 1. I just order the upgrade to Icon 2 and am hoping the hiss goes away.

Talisker

• Ethan Prater's Blog
« Reply #6 on: 25 Apr 2011, 03:46 am »
Does the Icon 2 work with non-nuForce speakers? That is, does it eliminate the hiss relative to the first Icon?