Vikings vs Cowboys!

Bigfish

Re: Vikings vs Cowboys!
« Reply #40 on: 17 Jan 2010, 10:06 pm »
Favre went 15 out of 24 for 234 yards, 4 touchdowns and 0 interceptions.  Saints fans can only hope he does not play as well next week.  At least next week the Saints will be playing a team that can score!

Ken

jackman

« Reply #41 on: 17 Jan 2010, 10:17 pm »
I'm really looking forward to next week's game (Vikes versus the Saints).  I'll be pulling for the Saints and believe they will win the game.  The Vikings looked very good today on both sides of the ball versus a good Cowboy team.  It's hard to blame Romo.  He got his brains beat in by the Vikings all day. 

This did not look like the same Viking team that wet the bed against the Bears a couple weeks ago.  It will be fun to see how they play against a very good Saints team.  Someone woke up Reggie Bush.  Maybe Kim K had something do do with his inspired play.

Also, what do you mean "at the Saints will be playing a team that can score!"?  The Cardinals, who the Saints shut down, scored 23 points per game during the season.  That's better than Dallas averaged.  Also, the Cardinals smoked the Vikings in December.  This is going to be a tough game for Favre and company!  At least I hope it will be!

Cheers,

J

ebag4

« Reply #42 on: 17 Jan 2010, 10:44 pm »
Also, the Cardinals smoked the Vikings in December.  This is going to be a tough game for Favre and company!  At least I hope it will be!

Cheers,

J

I hope that is the mindset the Saints go in with!!!! :eyebrows:

GO
VIKES!

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #43 on: 17 Jan 2010, 10:58 pm »

Also, what do you mean "at the Saints will be playing a team that can score!"?  The Cardinals, who the Saints shut down, scored 23 points per game during the season.  That's better than Dallas averaged.  Also, the Cardinals smoked the Vikings in December.  This is going to be a tough game for Favre and company!  At least I hope it will be!

It's a funny game.  The Cowgirls stomped the 'Aints, then the Vikes crush the 'Girls.  It all comes down to matchups.  The 'Aints have been exposed in half a dozen games this year...and how do you lose to the Bucs? :lol:  It looks like they're clicking on all cylinders again but the Cards are pretty Jeckyl&Hyde- it's hard to know if beating them means anything.  Same for the Vikes; a couple of games they just phoned it in, didn't get their hands out of their pockets.  AP is a bit off, too.

Brees in a great QB with lots of weapons at his disposal.  If his O-line can give him some time he can dissect you.  Jared Allen & the boys will have to get after him like they did Romo (what did they end with, 6 sacks?) to keep him in check.  I sure hope Edwards isn't hurt too bad (knee) because they'll need him to play like he did today.  It could be a really good game.

I'm pretty happy with the season!  Even if they don't advance to the Super Bowl, they had a great year and swept Green Bay...that last part is almost as fun as a title would be! :lol:

SwedeSound

« Reply #44 on: 18 Jan 2010, 12:39 am »
Weren't there a lot of people picking the Cowboys to walk all over the Vikings and then win the Super Bowl?  I know there were plenty who figured this to be a nail-biter, but it was a blow-out. The Vikings didn't just beat ANY team. They beat a team that has been a thorn in their side for ages. They CRUSHED Dallas. I was deeply concerned about the Cowboys coming in and trouncing the Vikes, but quite the opposite happened. Plenty of people are pointing to the 'Boy's O-line's collapse without giving due credit to a crushing pass rush and some decent coverage down field. I'm always concerned when the Vikings hit the road, but if I were the Saints, I'd be more than a tad nervous right now. That was an old-fashioned stomping against a talented squad.

jackman

« Reply #45 on: 18 Jan 2010, 12:50 am »
Rob, I agree this is a funny game and it all comes down to matchups.  The Viqueens lost to the Bears (the BEARS???) and then walked all over Dallas.  The Saints lost to Tampa (this is why I don't gamble), one of the worst teams in the game, and dominated the Cardinals.  If the game was in Minn, I'd give the Vikes the edge. Since the game is in NO, I have to pick the Saints.  I don't think either team will dominate the game.  It could very well come down to the last play or who turns the ball over.

Either way, next week will be entertaining.  I wish it was sooner! 

Cheers,

J

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #46 on: 18 Jan 2010, 12:59 am »
I guess Vikings are glad Brett Favre didn't listen to Fran Tarkenton  :icon_twisted:

MaxCast

« Reply #47 on: 18 Jan 2010, 02:14 am »
What if Fran's number was #4   :scratch:

Congrats Brett  :thumb:   I wore your old jersey today  :D

jimdgoulding

« Reply #48 on: 18 Jan 2010, 02:26 am »
Dallas tried a field goal when a yard was all they needed to keep that drive alive.  I bet Jerry Jones is stewing over that decision.  Dallas needed to establish momentum for obvious reasons and had they have been successful on that drive, they would have had put some doubt into the opposition to include the fans.  Just the opposite happened.  Somebody wadn't thinking very far ahead.  It was worth the risk.  It would have given them some mortar.   Great game by the Viking defense and their quarterback.  Looked like man vs. boy out there. 

lazydays

« Reply #49 on: 18 Jan 2010, 06:04 am »
You know that you're from a certain city and at a  certain age, when you turn on the game and see the Colts receive the kickoff, and you say "OK, we'll start at the 20 yard line.  That's OK."  Then reality hits you and you same "WAIT A DAMNED MINUTE!  I'm cheering for the RAVENS now!!!"

May Robert Irsay burn in hell!

Disclaimer:  I met many of the BALTIMORE Colts.  Unitas, Donavan, Jim Mutcheller, etc.  All-pro cornerback Bobby Boyd #40, worked for my father in the off-season, and when I was 16 and Boyd's size, he picked me up over his head at threw me in a pool.   :o

If only the NFL had let the team NAME stay in Baltimore like they did in Cleveland, we folks from Balmer could have saved a helluva lot of money on psychiatric counseling.

Leaving in the middle of the damned night.  Chicken shit!  GRRRRR!!!!!

I've lived in Texas.  Cowboys still suck!      Or, as they say in Texas:  Big Hat; No Cattle.

:lol:

perhaps if the folks in Baltamore had taken better care of the team the Colts might still be there. Within 12 months after arriving in Indy none of theold Colts players said they'd wished they had stayed in Batamore.
gary

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #50 on: 18 Jan 2010, 06:19 am »
Rob, I agree this is a funny game and it all comes down to matchups.  The Viqueens lost to the Bears (the BEARS???) and then walked all over Dallas.

The Bears loss was inconsequential- didn't worry me in the least.  Chicago didn't have a great year but they're still a talented team, and a division rival.  They & Minnie have played each other almost 100 times.  No matter how lopsided the match looks on paper it's tough to sweep a divisional foe even though you might be a favorite.  The Cards game did worry me, though- the Vikes never even made it out of the locker room for that one.

I would agree that if they're were playing at the Metrodome the Vikes should be favored, but going into the Superdome isn't going to be easy.

jackman

« Reply #51 on: 18 Jan 2010, 03:22 pm »

The Bears loss was inconsequential- didn't worry me in the least.  Chicago didn't have a great year but they're still a talented team, and a division rival.  They & Minnie have played each other almost 100 times.  No matter how lopsided the match looks on paper it's tough to sweep a divisional foe even though you might be a favorite.  The Cards game did worry me, though- the Vikes never even made it out of the locker room for that one.

I would agree that if they're were playing at the Metrodome the Vikes should be favored, but going into the Superdome isn't going to be easy.

This game is interesting if the Saints from last week and the Vikes from last week show up.  Both teams played good football on both sides of the ball.  Romo looks like he has PTSD and Warner is still seeing stars from the hit he took.  Everyone likes to talk offense but I think defense will win the game next week.  It will be fun to watch.

You and I agree on several things except your comment regarding the Bears' talent level last year.  Cutler was very inconsistent throughout the season (I still like him) and the defense let them down more than a good team can afford.  The Vikings probably overlooked the Bears or maybe they were batteling some internal conflict from the previous week.  Either way, their ship has been righted (is that a word?) and they are playing as good as ever.  As a Bears fan, I'm not allowed to pull for the Vikings but I feel good for my Minn friends! 

Cheers,

J

PS - we just hired your former coach as offensive coordinator.  Maybe we'll put those party boats on lake Michigan to better use!

jimdgoulding

« Reply #52 on: 18 Jan 2010, 06:18 pm »
Picked up some flack this morning on ESPN about the Vikes unnecessarily running up the score on the Cowboys.  This Cowboy fan thinks the Vikes would have been a fool not to take advantage of having a rival defense on the field when they got the NFC Championship game coming up next weekend.  Heck, yeah, Brett, be as sharp as you can be.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #53 on: 18 Jan 2010, 07:00 pm »
Running up the score? This wasn't the varsity beating up on the jayvees or an elite team throttling an outfit that's rebuilding. Most people picked the Cowboys as favorites in this game. If the 'boys don't want the opposition scoring, they should stop them. Where's all that swagger?

jackman

« Reply #54 on: 18 Jan 2010, 08:24 pm »
Running up the score? This wasn't the varsity beating up on the jayvees or an elite team throttling an outfit that's rebuilding. Most people picked the Cowboys as favorites in this game. If the 'boys don't want the opposition scoring, they should stop them. Where's all that swagger?

Agreed!  I never understood the mentality of a team getting angry about having the other team run up the score.  If you don't like it, stop it!  Pressure the 40 year old QB, hit people (legally) and play good football.  I have a bigger problem with people showboating and acting like fools (remember the U back in the day, and remember D-bags like Deon Sanders).  Disrespectful hot-dogging is bad for the game, no matter what the score. 

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
« Reply #55 on: 18 Jan 2010, 08:34 pm »
Bradshaw commented on the running up the score after the game too! :bawl: What a a-hole! :finger: The Cowgirls and any other team would have done the same thing!
How stupid!
Go "SUPER" VIKINGS! Lets do it again in New Orleans and if we are ahead by 30, score again and again! You earned the right to cram it down their throats!  :deadhorse:

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #56 on: 18 Jan 2010, 08:35 pm »
This game is interesting if the Saints from last week and the Vikes from last week show up.  Both teams played good football on both sides of the ball.  Romo looks like he has PTSD and Warner is still seeing stars from the hit he took.  Everyone likes to talk offense but I think defense will win the game next week.  It will be fun to watch.

You and I agree on several things except your comment regarding the Bears' talent level last year.  Cutler was very inconsistent throughout the season (I still like him) and the defense let them down more than a good team can afford.  The Vikings probably overlooked the Bears or maybe they were batteling some internal conflict from the previous week.  Either way, their ship has been righted (is that a word?) and they are playing as good as ever.  As a Bears fan, I'm not allowed to pull for the Vikings but I feel good for my Minn friends! 

Cheers,

J

PS - we just hired your former coach as offensive coordinator.  Maybe we'll put those party boats on lake Michigan to better use!

The Vikes sat down in the first half of that game but played up to their talent level in the 2nd and nearly won.    It was just a case of them not showing up and taking the Bears seriously when they got off the bus.     They had good reason, the Bears played extremely bad ball during stretches of the season.    Cutler isn't the problem... the Oline was horrible for most of the season.   The Oline was probably one of the worst in the NFL during long stretches of the season and the Bears were dead LAST in the NFL in rushing the ball.     That doesn't give your QB a lot of places to hide and a young WR group wasn't going to pull his chestnuts out of the fire either.   

The Bears will do fine on the Offensive side of the ball if they can piece together an Oline.   They will never get anywhere no matter the QB if they don't improve their talent on the line.

The defense was the bigger disappointment for me.    We lost two of our starting LBs in the first game of the season so that certainly didn't help matters but we never got consistent pressure up front and the secondary gave up yards like a cheap whore.    It is the exact opposite of good Bears teams.   Bad defense and a bad running game.    We have to fix those two areas before we can ever dream of any type of playoff hopes.   

The ViQueens are stacked.   They have the weapons on both sides of the ball to go all the way but the Saints don't look too shabby either.     Should be great football this next week and I predict the Cinderella Jets will end their run and flip a coin between the Saints and the Queens. 

jackman

« Reply #57 on: 18 Jan 2010, 09:00 pm »
Kevin, as usual, I agree with you.  One more thing about the Bear Offense.  They played a lot better after Hester was out of the lineup.  He is a severe offensive liability as a wide receiver.  He can't block, can't run good patterns, and can't catch a ball unless it is thrown perfectly.  Hester is a great kick returner, one of the greatest I have ever seen (at least he was when he was returning kicks full-time).  He needs to go back to returning kicks exclusively and leave the WR work to people who can actually play the position. 

The Bears have lots of challenges next year.  An old team with a relatively large payroll and no high draft picks because of the bad deals Angelo cut (not including Cutler deal which was not bad).  Most importantly, tyey need to fix the O line if they hope to have any chance of competing with GB or MN. 

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #58 on: 18 Jan 2010, 09:27 pm »
Kevin, as usual, I agree with you.  One more thing about the Bear Offense.  They played a lot better after Hester was out of the lineup.  He is a severe offensive liability as a wide receiver.  He can't block, can't run good patterns, and can't catch a ball unless it is thrown perfectly.  Hester is a great kick returner, one of the greatest I have ever seen (at least he was when he was returning kicks full-time).  He needs to go back to returning kicks exclusively and leave the WR work to people who can actually play the position. 

The Bears have lots of challenges next year.  An old team with a relatively large payroll and no high draft picks because of the bad deals Angelo cut (not including Cutler deal which was not bad).  Most importantly, tyey need to fix the O line if they hope to have any chance of competing with GB or MN.

The entire Hester thing was a head-scratcher to me.   They had unrealistic expectations for the guy from the get-go.    If you look at his numbers.... he was on track for a 1000 yard season.   That isn't bad but you are dead right about all the intangeables.    He isn't a natural WR.    I don't have any problem with him being out there and competing for snaps but lets not call the guy our starter and utilize him where he was playing the best ball.    The problem is now.... he is being outperformed at kick returns by other players so at this point it is hard to even make an argument for him as the #1 punt returner. 

He is a good deep threat and the defense has to account for his speed.   He is a horrible or unwilling blocking receiver and he is a wimp about taking one over the center.   He is what he is but he isn't some kind of game-changing WR threat like he has been advertised.    He can be a piece of the puzzle but lets properly evaluate and use his talents.     We just didn't have a good Larry Fitz, Rice or some other top-quality threat at WR and our Tight Ends didn't step it up either.  Dez was injured and Olsen didn't turn into the ProBowl TE we expected.   But at the end of the day you have to have a balanced attack.    There was no running game.... zero nada zilch.    If you don't even have a resemblance of a running game you better have a Larry Fitz or other game changer because you really become one-dimensional at that point.    Walter Payton or other great players have what it takes to perform when they are the focus of a defense but you don't see many Walter Paytons.     

arthurs

« Reply #59 on: 18 Jan 2010, 09:31 pm »
Agree the Bears have many issues to address, and you guys are spot on about Hester.

On the upside, I enjoyed the first of my 6 free lunches today, courtesy of several Cowboy fans I work with here in DFW and who were gracious enough to give me the Vikings straight up yesterday!   :thumb: