Any Ideas For Anarchy?

Kevin Haskins

Re: Any Ideas For Anarchy?
« Reply #100 on: 3 Feb 2010, 10:21 pm »
I'd like to set an "artificial value" too.    :lol:   Something above the sustenance level.     

I look around the world of loudspeaker manufacturing and I don't see a company that I'd tell a friend to invest in.   These companies all have competition and plenty of it.   It isn't like anyone is holding a gun to the head of the consumer.   If they want to buy a $350 tweeter more power to them.    I'll do a fancy version of the Anarchy and sell it for $400 just so they can have something to match it with.   

mkb

« Reply #101 on: 9 Feb 2010, 06:10 pm »
So is this MT going to be vented in the front or back of the box? It would be nice to be able to hang these on the wall with the vent on the front.

Danny Richie

« Reply #102 on: 9 Feb 2010, 06:12 pm »
It will have to be rear vented using the PE boxes.

persisting1

« Reply #103 on: 10 Feb 2010, 01:29 am »
Danny,

Has anyone sent you a test box?

Danny Richie

« Reply #104 on: 10 Feb 2010, 03:02 am »
Someone did say that they were ordering boxes.

I still need for that someone to get me their address and stuff so I can send them a tweeter and a port flare.

If you want to go ahead and order some as well then go for it. I'll send you a tweeter and a port flare too and you can start on getting your boxes cut.

avionic

« Reply #105 on: 10 Feb 2010, 03:16 am »
Someone did say that they were ordering boxes.

I still need for that someone to get me their address and stuff so I can send them a tweeter and a port flare.

If you want to go ahead and order some as well then go for it. I'll send you a tweeter and a port flare too and you can start on getting your boxes cut.

That's me Danny. The boxes are scheduled for delivery on the 11th. I will shoot you a pm.

rothnic

« Reply #106 on: 14 Feb 2010, 06:53 am »
I know the MT design is being worked first, but registered just to say I'm interested in a tower type design.

Danny Richie

« Reply #107 on: 15 Feb 2010, 10:10 pm »
A tweeter and a port flare went out to you today.

avionic

« Reply #108 on: 19 Feb 2010, 06:35 am »
A tweeter and a port flare went out to you today.

Got them today. I will work on getting these done and sent back to you A.S.A.P.

avionic

« Reply #109 on: 24 Feb 2010, 07:29 pm »

Hey Danny, I hope this is what you had in mind. I will be sending them out first thing tomorrow.

Danny Richie

« Reply #110 on: 24 Feb 2010, 07:48 pm »
Is that woofer flush mounted or surface mounted?

Did you get that port flare mounted on the back in line with the tweeter also? 

fredk

« Reply #111 on: 1 Mar 2010, 08:51 pm »
Hey Danny.  Are you going to  be posting your progress as you design the crossover?  I've never looked into cossover design so I have no idea how long or itterative the process is.

Danny Richie

« Reply #112 on: 1 Mar 2010, 08:56 pm »
I am guessing that pair will be here by the end of the week or something, and then I can get started on it.

I will post everything as it gets done.

fredk

« Reply #113 on: 2 Mar 2010, 05:02 pm »
Excellent.  My woofers are sitting in a corner waiting and I'm working on the cabinet, I'm building my own, now.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #114 on: 3 Mar 2010, 12:49 pm »

Hey Danny, I hope this is what you had in mind. I will be sending them out first thing tomorrow.

Danny,

Don't know if you can see it on your monitor, but the picture above appears to show the woofer to be surface mounted and the tweeter flush mounted.

Anand.

Danny Richie

« Reply #115 on: 3 Mar 2010, 01:40 pm »
Danny,

Don't know if you can see it on your monitor, but the picture above appears to show the woofer to be surface mounted and the tweeter flush mounted.

Anand.

Yep, he and I have already had a discussion about it, and he has gone back to flush mount the woofer.

Danny Richie

« Reply #116 on: 14 Mar 2010, 07:41 pm »
Okay, I worked on these all day yesterday.

They remind me of a Clint Eastwood movie, The good, the bad, and the ugly.

This speaker had the bad, the bad, the problematic, the challenges......, the good, the good, the good, more good, okay really good, and then the bad.

I'll start with the bad. The response was not exactly smooth and it has a pretty heavy peak at 4kHz.

The impedance sweep confirms the resonance at 4kHz.

The cool part though, was that I cut the port tube to 5". That was as long as it could be with the 2" flare on both ends without it getting too close to the tweeter. And that port length got the tuning down to 38Hz. That will get a good -3db down point to just below 40Hz. In some rooms, it might even be in the mid 30's. That is outstanding for a mini-monitor.

You'll have to disregard the dates in the upper right hand corner of my measurements. My measuring computer has no idea what the real time and date is.

Danny Richie

« Reply #117 on: 14 Mar 2010, 07:53 pm »
Okay, on to the problems and challenges...

My biggest problem by far was keeping the drivers in phase. The long pole piece on the Anarchy woofer that allowed for the super long stroke also pushed the voice coil way back there.

I have a lot of crossover tricks that will shift phase a little in certain areas and for a while it seemed like nothing was going to get the drivers acoustic outputs aligned.  :duh:

I also had to contend with the break up of the woofer. I really needed to drop it off quickly and not let it play too high at all for it to work. It is a good thing that this tweeter can handle playing down low.

I tried just about every order crossover you can imagine. I could control the woofer fairly well, but doing so while keeping it in phase with the tweeter was a real problem. Crossing the tweeter really low meant a steep crossover as well.

I not only like good phase alignment on axis but centered well enough as to have good phase relationships off axis as well, especially in the vertical off axis. For a while there it seemed like everything was about 50 to 100 degrees off from a perfect phase alignment.

I finally through in all the tricks and pulled something off though.  :green:

Danny Richie

« Reply #118 on: 14 Mar 2010, 08:05 pm »
Okay here comes the good parts.

It makes a nice smooth curve. The only drawback is the 82db sensitivity. Yep, that's the real sensitivity.

Forced into submission.  :uzi:

Not bad.

Now here is the really cool part. This is the vertical off axis response (below).

It doesn't get any better than this. These measurements were taken at 1 meter and each additional measurement going from Red, to Orange, to Yellow, and then to Green, represents moving the mic up 4" per measurement.

Horizontal off axis responses (below) look pretty good too. This is at 0, 10, 20, 30, and 40 degrees off axis.

Okay now here is another really good part. The impedance curve is as smooth as glass (below).

Danny Richie

« Reply #119 on: 14 Mar 2010, 08:19 pm »
Okay, now for the last bad part.

It took an elliptical network.

What's bad about that? The number of parts needed.

The crossover will need to be built on two separate boards. Each can then be screwed to each side of the enclosure right behind the vertical brace.

The crossover is not like the ones Jeff Joseph uses as his are transformer coupled. This one kind of does the same thing, but requires a lot of parts.

It is like Jeff Joseph's speakers in that the metal cone woofer is completely controlled. Most metal cones are not completely tamed by their networks and still have a little ring at the end. Jeff's were the only speakers using a metal cone that did not have this effect (to my ears). This one, likewise, does not have any ringing nature to it.

It actually sounds really good. It can take a lot of power and hit the low frequency ranges without a hint of strain too. I did push it hard enough to make a little port noise, but I just can't see going to a larger port. If the port got any larger then it would never fit in the box.

It still needs a lot of time on it to break in and smooth out, but I can get some good initial impressions. If nothing about it irritates me now then it isn't ever going to.

Yep, I must admit, it is a stopping little mini-monitor. Just be sure you have plenty of power on hand. A good 100 watts or so will do it.

I'll work up the pricing for a couple of different crossover options and get prices up as soon as I can. I'll try to get to it before the end of the day.
« Last Edit: 17 Mar 2010, 03:03 am by Danny »