Michael's ebony SongTower home theater

jsalk

Michael's ebony SongTower home theater
« on: 11 Jan 2010, 08:12 pm »
Michael wanted very dark wood and decided to go with Macassar ebony.  This is one of the finer dark woods available and never fails to look impressive.  As far as I know, this is the first pair of SongTowers we have done in ebony.

Ebony is hard to photograph.  With a flash, the lighter colors stand out more than they do in person.  Without a flash, the speakers tend to look almmost black.  But we did our best to shoot them anyway.

Here are the SongTowers...

And a close-up...

The whole set-up...

Happy listening Michael!

- Jim
« Last Edit: 12 Jan 2010, 01:46 pm by jsalk »

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
Re: Michael's ebony SontTower home theater
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jan 2010, 08:26 pm »
Extraordinary, Jim.  Congratulations to Michael.

Is Macassar ebony a higher-priced veneer?  I have some pistol grips in Macassar ebony, and they weren't inexpensive compared to woods such as walnut, kingwood, and cocobolo.

vintagebob

« Reply #2 on: 11 Jan 2010, 08:40 pm »
Nice setup Michael and great work as always Salk Team.   :thumb:

Nuance

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jan 2010, 09:31 pm »
I've always loved ebony, and those are simply stunning!  Congratulations, Michael. 

jsalk

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jan 2010, 09:53 pm »
Extraordinary, Jim.  Congratulations to Michael.

Is Macassar ebony a higher-priced veneer?  I have some pistol grips in Macassar ebony, and they weren't inexpensive compared to woods such as walnut, kingwood, and cocobolo.

Yes, it is an expensive veneer.  What's more, the trees aren't all that big.  So the sheets are very narrow and require A LOT of splicing to create panels large enough.  So there is additional labor involved as well.

- Jim

taoggniklat

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jan 2010, 10:06 pm »
Beautiful...I can't wait till I figure out what I want and am able to order a pair myself!

funkmonkey

« Reply #6 on: 12 Jan 2010, 05:12 am »
 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Outstanding work on this set, Jim (and crew)!  Excellent choice of veneer, and an absolutely beautiful batch of it.  This is one set I would really love to see in person.
Congrats Michael!

some young guy

« Reply #7 on: 12 Jan 2010, 05:43 am »
 :thumb: Very nice! Macassar is a big favorite around the shop here too. Its great to see it in a larger format like your speakers.

floresjc

Re: Michael's ebony SongTower home theater
« Reply #8 on: 12 Jan 2010, 06:13 pm »
I love ebony. I was really looking at doing my HT2-TL's in it with the claro walnut baffle, but time and money ran out and I went with a standard walnut finish. As Jim said, its tough to get the veneer together for a good price. Your speakers are just gorgeous, I must have an ebony pair someday!

ctouhey

« Reply #9 on: 12 Jan 2010, 06:35 pm »
The veneer is beautiful!  I'm sure they'll look stunning once installed in your home.

Chris

irishluck73

« Reply #10 on: 12 Jan 2010, 11:10 pm »
Jim,
They look amazing! My wife and I are really looking forward to when we get them in our home as I know they'll look even better in person! Many, many thanks to you and your crew!
Best,
Mike

irishluck73

« Reply #11 on: 23 Jan 2010, 09:49 pm »
A few pictures my wife took on Monday when they were delivered, she's not a photographer  :wink: