OPPO BDP-83 - Do I need the SE

John151

OPPO BDP-83 - Do I need the SE
« on: 9 Jan 2010, 04:14 pm »
I am going to purchase the new Oppo BD player, and am trying to decide if the SE would make a difference.   In my system, the Oppo will be used for DVD movies, and occasionally for playing a CD (the primary music playing is through the squeeze box).  Also, movies are played through two channels only.

System Configuration:

2 channel source - SB3
DAC - Modified Lite Audio DAC, EE MiniMax DAC on order.
Pre Amp - Modwright SWL
Amp - Vincent SP-331
Speaker - Nomad Audio Ronin.  No center or sourrounds.

Two Channel (via coax):
  SB3 -> DAC > Pre Amp -> two channel amp

DVD Movies (via RCA)
  Oppo-> Pre Amp  -> two channel amp

CD Audio via Oppo
  Oppo-> DAC > Pre Amp -> two channel amp

SACD/DVD Audio via Oppo
  Oppo-> DAC ??? > Pre Amp -> two channel amp
  Note: Not sure if the EE DAC will be able to handle the SACD/DVD audio outputs from the Oppo.  Also, I don't currently have any SACD discs, and only a few DVD audio discs, so this is not a priority.

Given the above, would the SE version be worth the extra expense for playing movies via two channels?

jmichael

Re: OPPO BDP-83 - Do I need the SE
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jan 2010, 06:26 pm »
You would only benefit by using the analog outputs of the player with no other digital signal processing involved.
So, I would say no.
If you listen to a lot of music using the analog outputs straight into you pre-amp, you should benefit.

John151

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jan 2010, 06:30 pm »
You would only benefit by using the analog outputs of the player with no other digital signal processing involved.
So, I would say no.
If you listen to a lot of music, you might benefit.

I will be using the stereo analog outs for DVD movies.  Not sure if this would benefit from the SE or not. 

jmichael

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jan 2010, 06:34 pm »
It might not be enough for you to notice the difference with movies.
From what I hear, the biggest impact will be accomplished when using the stereo output jacks, since it is configured with four ESS Dacs per channel.