Good, Cheap 2-channel system recommendations?

StereoNut

Good, Cheap 2-channel system recommendations?
« on: 8 Jan 2010, 05:27 pm »
I have a buddy at work looking for a real cheap (read: $500.00) 2-channel system for his wife to listen to in their kitchen/dining room.  Needs to include CD player, be compact, simple to operate and be CHEAP !!!

I doubt they'll consider used, so NEW only.  Obviously at this price point we're not talking hi-end!   :lol:

Suggestions!?

Thanks!
SN

srb

Re: Good, Cheap 2-channel system recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jan 2010, 05:59 pm »
For $550 -
If they don't need inputs beyond the CD player (does have auxillary input for iPod):

1. Audioengine A5 powered speakers @ $350
2. Cambridge Audio DVD-89 @ $200 on clearance from Audio Advisor

The DVD player is full size (17") wide, but the amplifier would be contained within the powered speaker, so still a fairly compact and simple setup.  The speakers are available in black or white, the player would be silver.

Steve

StereoNut

« Reply #2 on: 8 Jan 2010, 06:51 pm »
srb

Thanks, but I think the full size DVD-89 will be a "deal-breaker" here.  They want to keep the amount of space it takes up to be as small as possible.

SN

srb

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jan 2010, 07:08 pm »
Yes, I know I've upped the budget one more time, but I'm trying to pick something that will sound very good and is better built than mini bookshelf systems.

$620 - $650

1.  NAD C715 Stereo Receiver / CD Player @ $400 (8.5"W)
2a. Audioengine P4 speaker @ $250
2b. Cambridge Audio S30 speaker @ $220

Steve

StereoNut

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jan 2010, 07:39 pm »
Thanks again srb

Someone suggested Denon D-M37 for about $400
http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/4405.asp

which may be the best compromise so far.

SN

droht

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jan 2010, 07:58 pm »
It seems the trend for those kinds of systems is to go mp3 player as source instead of CDs.  Any chance that is an option?  It might be a nice plus not to have a bunch of CDs cluttering up their space.  They could use the aforementioned A5s with mp3 player and be done with it.  No other boxes or wires to worry about.

StereoNut

« Reply #6 on: 8 Jan 2010, 08:03 pm »
That would make my buddy happy, but his wife is who wants the CD player.  And you know how that saying goes, don't you?

"...when Mama's not happy, nooooo-body's happy!!!"  :cry:

SN

droht

« Reply #7 on: 8 Jan 2010, 08:54 pm »
That would make my buddy happy, but his wife is who wants the CD player.  And you know how that saying goes, don't you?

"...when Mama's not happy, nooooo-body's happy!!!"  :cry:

SN

Trust me - I know that saying.  The MP3 approach is just so much easier and cleaner.  But you can't sell it if no one is buying...

Audiophiliac

« Reply #8 on: 9 Jan 2010, 01:59 am »
The A5s have 2 audio inputs so you could use an ipod or other portable as well as a CD player for your wife. I have been impressed with my A5s. But the other day, they shut down on me during a heated Rockband session. Got too hot. :) It was pretty loud for about 20-30 minutes....and the amplified speaker sits pretty close to the exhaust vent on my DLP....soooo.....I am not too concerned, but I might experiment to see if they can handle playing some music for a few hours at a lively volume level. ;)

Mariusz

« Reply #9 on: 9 Jan 2010, 02:18 am »
A5s are very good and versatile speakers. They will work with stand alone CDP as a source. But if it isn't what you are looking for maybe something like Teac CR-H227i-B?

Supports CD, CD-R/RW and MP3 disc
iPod Dock with Video Outputs (S-Video, Composite Video)
1-bit DAC, 8-times Oversampling Digital Filter
32-selection Random Memory Program Play
Repeat (1/ALL/A-B), Shuffle Play
Quartz PLL Synthesized AM/FM Stereo Tuner
AM/FM 30 Preset Station Memory
FL Display with Dimmer
Clock, Timer-on, Sleep Timer
Charges iPod while Playing
iPod Adapters Included
S-Video Cable and Video Cable Included
Brushed Aluminum Panel
Remote Control
(Also controls iPod functions including menu operation)
Output Power: 25W + 25W (6 ohms, 1kHz, 0.5% THD)
Audio Input: x 4 (RCA Pin x 3, Stereo Mini x 1)
Audio Output: x 2
Digital Audio Output: x 1 (Optical)
Subwoofer Pre-out: x 1
Headphone Jack: x 1 (3.5mm)
Dock Connector: x 1
Speaker Terminal: Binding Post (2 pairs)
Operation: 120V AC, 60Hz (US)
Dimension (W x H x D), Weight:
8-1/2" x 4-3/8" x 14-1/4", 9.7 lbs. (Main Unit)
4" x 2" x 4-1/4", 1.1 lbs. (iPod Dock)
215 x 110 x 359 mm, 4.4 kg (Main Unit)
100 x 51 x 107mm, 0.5 kg (iPod Dock)

List - $399 (I am sure you can find it a bit cheaper if you look around)

Now - what speakers can you find for $100- $150 to go with that ???
Increasing the budget to $600 might be more reasonable.

Mariusz :thumb:

Mariusz

« Reply #10 on: 9 Jan 2010, 02:30 am »
I just saw these JohnBlue JB3s on eBay for $250. Might work for you.
Here is the review from 6moons:
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/johnblue/jb3.html

Cheers

Mariusz

« Reply #11 on: 9 Jan 2010, 02:38 am »
Amazon sells Teac CR-H227i-B for $249.66
http://www.amazon.com/TEAC-CR-H227-Hi-Fi-Component-System/dp/B000PX7F5U
Cheers

skite30

« Reply #12 on: 9 Jan 2010, 06:38 am »
If you don't need anything too big you could get the audioengine a2's and partner them with a sony playstation 1 scph1001. Find it on e-bay for 50.00. For 250.00 total you would have a real nice little system.

srb

« Reply #13 on: 9 Jan 2010, 06:46 am »
When I previously mentioned the Audioengine A5, I purposely did not mention the A2 because it has the volume control on the rear of the speaker.  I thought that was a bit inconvenient and might not fit the requirement of simple and easy to use.

So far, I like the Denon D-M37 for $400 or the Teac CR-H227i-B + Audioengine P4 for $500.

Steve

droht

« Reply #14 on: 11 Jan 2010, 12:54 am »
I previously owned a pair of JB3s.  Very attractive and good-sounding speaker. Stunning bass for the size.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #15 on: 11 Jan 2010, 02:12 am »
I'd buy a used SET amp and used fostex-based (or Omega if you can find a great deal) single driver speaker. Tekton and Hornshoppe are 2 more affordable makers. Tektons you can afford new, the Hornshoppes would have to be used.

This will work as long as you don't need high volumes and it's under $300 new.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-10423476-47.html

Of course amps like these need hi-effeciency speakers, like 93 dB+ single drivers.

Or keep an eye out on audiogon and wait for a used damp in your price range to come up.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #16 on: 11 Jan 2010, 02:27 am »
The wife needs to be educated... the iPod / MP3 player approach is a much better way to go.  With the Audio Engine A-5s they'll have very good sound in a tight little package that is easy to use.  There's no advantage to having a CDP over an iPod / MP3 player in this context.

StereoNut

« Reply #17 on: 11 Jan 2010, 02:34 pm »
WC

My buddy wants to go the iPod/MP3 route and has already tried to explain the merits of doing so to his wife, without much success.  Apparently, she has a stack of her favorite CD's that she wants to listen to and she doesn't want to know from ripping files, MP3's or anything else but CD.  From what my friend tells me, he can't get her beyond 4 "buttons" (Power, Track selection, Play and Volume) TOTAL!  :roll:

I guess convincing his wife that she doesn't want/need CD is like telling my wife she doesn't want/need another pocketbook or pair of shoes!  :wink:

SN

cujobob

« Reply #18 on: 13 Jan 2010, 10:49 pm »
I'd probably go for a pair of TweakCityAudio WAF-1s or something from Ascend Acoustics.  I've seen a pair of GR-Research AV1s built by a user here for like $340 and that'd be an INSANE deal...then just buy some cheap electronics to go with it.  Or a $100 DVD/CDP and a cheap T-amp from Parts Express.

decal

« Reply #19 on: 14 Jan 2010, 01:04 am »
Tell your buddy to go to wallyworld,get a $200.00 all in one player and pocket the rest of the cash.The wife will probably be happier than a pig in slop and so will he.