Longhorn Mod question re tracking weight..

ncdrawl

Longhorn Mod question re tracking weight..
« on: 5 Jan 2010, 04:18 am »
just longhorned my Grado(thanks Mr. Wayne, and Mr VA) but.. I had a question..

how does it affect tracking weight?? what do I need to do to compensate>? I have a rega RB250 tonearm and turn the end stub to adjust... the cart manufacturer suggests 1.5 grams..but what with the mod>?

the longhorn is amazing ...imaging especially ... a very, very noticeable improvement..things snapped right into focus!

Tom Alverson

Re: Longhorn Mod question re tracking weight..
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jan 2010, 05:10 am »
I would use the same tracking  weight as before.  You would need to adjust the counterweight to compensate for the extra mass of the longhorn, but then dial back in the normal tracking weight you have been using.

Tom

Wayner

« Reply #2 on: 5 Jan 2010, 12:42 pm »
Frank suggests tracking at 1.75 grams. Remember, you can do more damage by mis-tracking then with too much VTF. There must be a happy balance. I would up the VTF a hair, but listen for signs of mis-tracking. depending on arm, you might be fine, and I also love the Rega arms.

Wayner  :D

TheChairGuy

« Reply #3 on: 5 Jan 2010, 12:45 pm »
Yup - you need to rebalance the arm, but the tracking downforce should be the same.

Tho Grado consistently recommends 1.5grams...I've found closer to 1.6grams to be right for a variety of cartridges tried over time. TheCartridgeMan, a guy that sells tarted up $220 Grado's for $1200,  recommends a sweet spot of 1.58grams

The Longhorn is indeed a great tweek for the Grado :thumb:

John

ncdrawl

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jan 2010, 09:06 pm »
maybe im confused??? I thought the counterweight was for tracking??

am I an idiot?   the counterweight guide that came with the rega said to turn it roughly one turn for every gram of tracking force... and i tested it with the stylus gauge, had it right..but with the longhorn, it is way too heavy.

so...what do I need to do with the counterweight??

the bias slider..the rega manual said to put that at the same as the tracking..

lord, I dont know what to do...I think it is too heavy though because the cartridge front is resting nearly on the LP.  aa

sorry for being a dummy
Yup - you need to rebalance the arm, but the tracking downforce should be the same.

Tho Grado consistently recommends 1.5grams...I've found closer to 1.6grams to be right for a variety of cartridges tried over time. TheCartridgeMan, a guy that sells tarted up $220 Grado's for $1200,  recommends a sweet spot of 1.58grams

The Longhorn is indeed a great tweek for the Grado :thumb:

John

ncdrawl

Wayner

« Reply #6 on: 5 Jan 2010, 09:17 pm »
Because you have added weight to the cartridge with the long horn, it's reference to zero balance has changed. You need to re balance the arm. Set the force gauge on the side of the arm back to zero. Then move the counterweight back until the arm floats horizontally in mid air. Now it is zero calibrated. Now you can set your weight dial to 1.5 or 1.6 or what ever you want and it will be correct (I suggest you get a scale).

ncdrawl

« Reply #7 on: 6 Jan 2010, 05:01 am »
Ok sir, got the balancing part...but when you say force gauge on the side of the arm...do you mean the bias adjustment? there is no force gauge on the table, just the bias.

so the 1.5 or 1.6 is the same...will i still use the shure gauge? im guessing that with the longhorn in place it is a lot more than that now(I had it exactly at 1.5 before longhorn) 

what do you mean re scale?? sorry for all the questions..

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #8 on: 6 Jan 2010, 05:09 am »
I think that you are referring to the anti-skate setting, which should match the tracking weight.

By the Shure gauge, I think that you are referring to a scale to measure the tracking weight.  Does it measure the tracking weight, i.e.; the downward weight on the tonearm?  The anti-skate is the tracking "bias", i.e.; the sideward force/pressure, which is adjusted by the slider on the side of the tonearm.

Slide the anti-skate to zero.  Turn the weight on the back of the tonearm until the tonearm is level (floats).  Then, turn the weight on the back of the tonearm, using the Shure scale, after you calibrate the scale to zero, until the Shure scale indicates that the downward weight is 1.5 or 1.6.  You are now done with the Shure scale.  Then, move the anti-skate "slider", on the side of the tonearm, to as close to 1.5 or 1.6 as you can approximate.  You are done, assuming that the cartridge is properly aligned in the arm.

ncdrawl

« Reply #9 on: 6 Jan 2010, 05:40 am »
I think that you are referring to the anti-skate setting, which should match the tracking weight.

By the Shure gauge, I think that you are referring to a scale to measure the tracking weight.  Does it measure the tracking weight, i.e.; the downward weight on the tonearm?  The anti-skate is the tracking "bias", i.e.; the sideward force/pressure, which is adjusted by the slider on the side of the tonearm.

Slide the anti-skate to zero.  Turn the weight on the back of the tonearm until the tonearm is level (floats).  Then, turn the weight on the back of the tonearm, using the Shure scale, after you calibrate the scale to zero, until the Shure scale indicates that the downward weight is 1.5 or 1.6.  You are now done with the Shure scale.  Then, move the anti-skate "slider", on the side of the tonearm, to as close to 1.5 or 1.6 as you can approximate.  You are done, assuming that the cartridge is properly aligned in the arm.

perfect !! thank you Sir. NC Public education and all... i aint so bright. the rega manual refers to it as bias..(though confusing since I am an analogue tape guy too and bias is something a bit different there)

I tell you, with this longhorn mod, my Rega gives my Sota Comet /sumiko a run for the money. i sure as heck aint selling the thing...it sounds amazing.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #10 on: 6 Jan 2010, 06:08 am »
What weight?  What longhorn?  Excuse my late arrival, please.  Thank you in advance.  I'm already at 1.5g and have adjusted my anti skate to where there is no lift off or on that can be detected by ear.  Whip it seriously on me.

Wayner

« Reply #11 on: 6 Jan 2010, 01:39 pm »
Unless I'm mistaken about the RB-250 arm, it should have a dial on the side that looks like the photo below:

This dial adds the VTF (vertical tracking force) to the tone arm.

So the process would be:

1. Zero balance the tone arm.
2. Dial in the desired weight. (you can use your Shure VTF guage to check the dial, if you wish).

Your done.

The anti-skating control is shown in the photo below:

Set that to the same setting as the VTF.

I don't mean to simplify this too much, but I was concerned that you maybe didn't have the process down.

Listens2tubes

« Reply #12 on: 6 Jan 2010, 02:26 pm »
That's looks like an RB300. The RB250 doesn't have the dial. To adjust VTF you loosen the counterweight and slide it forward or aft to balance , then set VTF.
 http://www.vinylengine.com/a-guide-rega-tonearms.shtml 

Wayner

« Reply #13 on: 6 Jan 2010, 04:49 pm »
Thanks L2L! I wasn't for sure on the RB250. Then, ncdrawl, it sounds like your good.

Sorry about the mix-up.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #14 on: 6 Jan 2010, 06:07 pm »
Wayner-  Hi.  Where do I go to find out about the Longhorn Mod  Thanks.

Wayner

« Reply #15 on: 6 Jan 2010, 07:57 pm »
Well, as soon as all the hurdles are crossed, I will be manufacturing them for Audio by Van Alstine. We will have 2 models, the Grado Green1 Longhorn and the Grado Gold1 Longhorn. I have assembled all of the materials to make them and have also made appropriate jigs and tooling to make them more exact then a DIY scheme.

However, it is public knowledge that plans for the Longhorn are available on the AVA website in the back issues of the Audio Basics issues, I believe the year 1984 or abouts in that area.

Listens2tubes

« Reply #16 on: 6 Jan 2010, 10:52 pm »
Well, as soon as all the hurdles are crossed, I will be manufacturing them for Audio by Van Alstine. We will have 2 models, the Grado Green1 Longhorn and the Grado Gold1 Longhorn. I have assembled all of the materials to make them and have also made appropriate jigs and tooling to make them more exact then a DIY scheme.

However, it is public knowledge that plans for the Longhorn are available on the AVA website in the back issues of the Audio Basics issues, I believe the year 1984 or abouts in that area.

Now that's full disclosure. :thumb: