Speaker placement..

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
Re: Speaker placement..
« Reply #20 on: 12 Jan 2010, 03:12 pm »
Jack,

So the 12" traps I have here are likely what I need?  I have played an S'phile test cd that has test tones and from what I could gather just from listening, the hump occurs between 80 and 100 hz.  No trip to the RS necessary as I already have the infamous meter....sans 9v battery but in possession.  :lol:

JackD201

« Reply #21 on: 12 Jan 2010, 04:01 pm »
I dunno Gavin. I'd need to see it's Absorption Coefficient chart. If it's a DIY job the likelihood that it's even been tested is next to nil.

So you have the infamous RS SPL meter.

Analog or Digital?   :o

I wonder if this flame war starting question ever led to an actual fight over which meter was better. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #22 on: 12 Jan 2010, 04:13 pm »
To appease all the TT guys on the board, it's the analogue version although the digital would be superior for mapping.  I bid for one on ebay a while back but lost out.  I may still buy the digital meter despite the fact that the one I have is much more "liquid and organic"... :roll: :lol:

JackD201

« Reply #23 on: 12 Jan 2010, 04:20 pm »
 :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

whytejon

« Reply #24 on: 12 Jan 2010, 06:43 pm »

Hey Guys,

Ok, so received my new speaker cables a few days ago, so i had to get my existing set re-termintated, to change them to single wire configuration from bi-wire.

So now i have 2 sets of standard VS speaker cable running to each speaker, which effectively gives me a reference bi-wire set.

So i took my exisiting cables to my local hi-fi dealer, who reterminated them for me today.  And guess what he told me when i collected them tonight??  That some of the cable strands had been incorrectly placed, mixing up the + and -   :o

He thought i would be furious, but in actual fact, i was pleased, cause that totally explains my lack of bass and poor quality sound!!   :roll:

Now, i cant blame VS directly, because it was the VS dealer in London that initally screwed up the order and he had to re-terminate them himself to get the configuration i wanted! 

So mixed emotions, im delighted now that i have a pair of correctly configured cables, but im pissed at the VS dealer in London for incorrectly re-terminating them!!   :x

Anyway its all fixed now, I only hooked them up tonight, so its too early to give any real detail on the difference, but first impressions are that FINALLY i have ample bass, and the overall sound has improved dramatically.

I can tell that im going to have to experiment with placement all over again!

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #25 on: 12 Jan 2010, 07:18 pm »
Jon,

That is one nice system you have there but only one gallery picture?  Come one man, take more pix and post 'em.  I notice that you have your annies facing straight ahead with no toe in.  Have you tried toeing them in any at all and if so, what did it do to your imaging and soundstage?  I've never heard LAMM amps but I'm betting they are killer with the VR5s.

whytejon

« Reply #26 on: 12 Jan 2010, 07:59 pm »
That is one nice system you have there but only one gallery picture?  Come one man, take more pix and post 'em

Thanks!  Yeah its taken me a few years to build up, but feel like ive gone as high up the scale as im comfortable with (for now)!  :wink:

As for pics, ill take some and post them in my gallery sometime soon.  My camera is broken, so only got my iphone for pics right now and the camera on that is rubbish!

Also, due to lack of space, i have all my gear crammed in the corner of my living room, unfortunatley i dont have the luxury of a dedicated listening room!  :(  one day hopefully!

I notice that you have your annies facing straight ahead with no toe in.

I do have a bit of toe in.  I experimented with it and found that 1 3/4" difference in distance from the front wall (measured from the front wall to the back of the HF speaker left and right sides) was providing the optimum balance between soundstage accuracy and width.

I've never heard LAMM amps but I'm betting they are killer with the VR5s

The LAMM amps are fantastic, they look and sound beautiful, i absolutely love them......

The VR5s havent been performing as they should, but they are sounding pretty sweet tonight, now that i have the speaker cables finally sorted!!   :thumb:

JackD201

« Reply #27 on: 13 Jan 2010, 01:59 am »
Jon,

That is one nice system you have there but only one gallery picture?  Come one man, take more pix and post 'em.  I notice that you have your annies facing straight ahead with no toe in.  Have you tried toeing them in any at all and if so, what did it do to your imaging and soundstage?  I've never heard LAMM amps but I'm betting they are killer with the VR5s.

Oh yes they do! Keith and I took up the dealership mainly to get very high on our own supply  :eyebrows: It doesn't hurt that they are so good they sell themselves! Talk about a good deal  :eyebrows: :eyebrows: :eyebrows:

SundayNiagara

« Reply #28 on: 13 Jan 2010, 03:10 am »
es347:
Why not try Pearson's "rule of thirds?"
Mark

McTwins

« Reply #29 on: 13 Jan 2010, 03:34 am »
Hi
Gavin.... are you going to start to build a dedicated listening room. :D

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #30 on: 13 Jan 2010, 02:37 pm »
es347:
Why not try Pearson's "rule of thirds?"
Mark

I have a paper on the rule of 3rds which I haven't read in detail yet.  Will do.

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #31 on: 13 Jan 2010, 02:39 pm »
Hi
Gavin.... are you going to start to build a dedicated listening room. :D

Hi McT,

No chance of a dedicated room but I do have one end of a nice room in the basement that works fairly well.  No elaborate room treatments like yours are in my future.  I just added corner traps that seem to tame the bass so that may be it for me.

Ambiance

« Reply #32 on: 15 Jan 2010, 01:11 am »
Finaly some luck.

I moved around on speakers and sweetspot. Finaly I found the goldenpath in my room. Sweetspot moved 12" fwd, and speaker tow in about 1" each. Now the overlap sound smother and the deep base a bit more firm. I also tryed what you have tryed, but the sound colapsed from aprox 80Hz and down. And midrange sounded thick with no edge. Some times just a few inches is enough. ;)

Have you found the best spot yet?

A.

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #33 on: 15 Jan 2010, 03:18 am »
I continue to move the speakers and it seems that the best spot so far is with the baffles about 6' from the front wall and about 3.5' from the sides.  This is giving me a big soundstage, good imaging although not quite as holographic as when the speakers were further from the front wall, and it has lessened the mid bass hump at 80-100 hz.  I may go with some larger corner bass traps to see if that will allow moving them back out further into the room.  The holographic image that produces is quite alluring.

Gavin

Ambiance

« Reply #34 on: 25 Jan 2010, 07:33 am »
I continue to move the speakers and it seems that the best spot so far is with the baffles about 6' from the front wall and about 3.5' from the sides.  This is giving me a big soundstage, good imaging although not quite as holographic as when the speakers were further from the front wall, and it has lessened the mid bass hump at 80-100 hz.  I may go with some larger corner bass traps to see if that will allow moving them back out further into the room.  The holographic image that produces is quite alluring.

Gavin

That is very close to what my placement ended being. Our room are about the same width, but your room is 9 feet longer. I have 3`from side and 5`from baffle to rearwall. Imaging is the widest and the vocals more in my face. The bigest issue in my room is the 20Hz. From 25Hz and down the DB drops dramaticly.

Have you had any experience with digital room EQ?
Considering Auyssey room EQ XT, but afraid it will take some of the dynamik and headroom..

A.
« Last Edit: 25 Jan 2010, 12:11 pm by Ambiance »

azhtnut

« Reply #35 on: 15 Mar 2013, 10:40 pm »
Hello all,

I have a pair of VR4jrs upgraded to VR4sr MK3 speakers that I am using in my Home theater room.  They are slightly toed in and 10' apart due to space limitations, but still sound pretty good to me.  At 10' apart, they are 2' in front of the back wall and about 9.5' - 10' each from the listening position.

If I move them to 8' or 9' apart, they will be 6" in front of a wall that holds the projection screen.  I haven't listened to them in this position, but will be trying this once I get my pre-amp back this evening. 

Due to the closeness of the back wall, I am considering moving to the VR33 that should work much better in this position.  My question is: How does the sound of the VR33 compare to a SR MK3?    Would I be better to leave the MK3s at 10' apart or replace with the VR33 at 8' apart?

Thanks,
Marty
« Last Edit: 16 Mar 2013, 02:56 am by azhtnut »

O.D. Yeo

« Reply #36 on: 16 Mar 2013, 01:59 am »
I had a very similar setup, except that my 4-JRs were not upgraded as yours. 
AllI can say is that the move from the 4-JR to VR-35 was a very good move for me.  I enjoy the bigger and less dry sound of the 35s.

azhtnut

« Reply #37 on: 16 Mar 2013, 02:55 am »
Thanks O.D.,

After posting this, I was able to speak at length with Albert and confirmed with that the VR-35's are the best speaker for my setup.  So I will be purchasing a pair of those in the near future.

Just to be clear on the picture and placement.  The lighter green wall behind the plasma TVs and FL/FR speakers is the back wall of the room.  The darker olive green section behind the screen is a false wall that is 1.5' in front of the back wall and 9' wide.  It was designed to allow a pocket for the plasmas to slide back into when not in use.  I never do that, so the false wall really isn't needed. 

To get to a 8' placement, the speakers will go wall where the cherry SVS subs were and just outside of the screen area.

Really looking forward to the VR-35s after speaking with Albert.

Thanks again,
Marty

O.D. Yeo

« Reply #38 on: 16 Mar 2013, 03:15 am »
With the VR35 and on pure audio mode, I think you will be glad that you provided for the false wall.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #39 on: 16 Mar 2013, 05:09 am »
Gavin, something just crossed my mind.   Didn't ole Jim tell you bout 3 years ago to pull your speakers out more off the wall behind them and why?  I seem to recall that I did.  Glad you are getting a 3D soundscape and in your large room.  Your equilateral triangle is helping.  I'm bettin that your bass is more linear. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
« Last Edit: 16 Mar 2013, 07:02 am by jimdgoulding »