Dave's Redgum HT2-TL's

jsalk

Dave's Redgum HT2-TL's
« on: 23 Dec 2009, 10:00 pm »
Dave and his wife stopped by the shop and looked at quite a few veneers.  They knew they wanted something on the lighter side, but agonized about their choice (this should sound familiar to some).

Finally, they saw some HT3's we were working on and loved the combination of redgum and bird's eye maple trim.  But Dave wanted just a little more sapwood in the mix. 

So we found some redgum with a high percentage of sapwood and here are the results...

Here is a close up of the front baffle area...

And I liked the way the grain wrapped around the terminus area on the rear of the speakers...

Happy holidays Dave, and happy listening!

- Jim

timjthomas

Re: Dave's Redgum HT2-TL's
« Reply #1 on: 23 Dec 2009, 10:49 pm »
Very nice!!!

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #2 on: 23 Dec 2009, 11:06 pm »
Wow!  Those are incredible.  There have been a lot of beautiful veneers lately.  I think that if I were to order another pair of speakers, I would ask you, Jim, to build them in a patchwork of various veneers.

Something along these lines, but nicer, of course.

http://www.1stdibs.com/furniture_item_detail.php?id=366820

robinje

« Reply #3 on: 23 Dec 2009, 11:07 pm »
SUPER!  These are splendid looking, indeed.   :thumb:

HAPPY HOLIDAYS, everyone! 

WntrMute2

« Reply #4 on: 24 Dec 2009, 03:12 am »
The speakers are spending the night in the garage as there is a work party raging right now.  Tomorrow morning I'll set them free.  There won't be any Fed-Ex pics, but I'll shoot some as I unpack and set-up.  Beautiful work, just stunning visually, by Jim, Mary and the gang. 

funkmonkey

« Reply #5 on: 24 Dec 2009, 03:26 am »
 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:  awesome

bigred7078

« Reply #6 on: 24 Dec 2009, 05:51 am »
gorgeous finish!

Nuance

« Reply #7 on: 24 Dec 2009, 05:55 am »
Wow - just when I think I've seen it all...that is just gorgeous!  Congratulations Dave and company.  What an awesome Christmas present!

charmerci

« Reply #8 on: 24 Dec 2009, 08:53 am »
Those are really cool!  :thumb:

Jim, have you ever done a pair in Zebrawood before?

Merry Christmas to all!

jsalk

« Reply #9 on: 24 Dec 2009, 11:28 am »
Those are really cool!  :thumb:

Jim, have you ever done a pair in Zebrawood before?

Merry Christmas to all!

I did some speakers in zebrawood some time ago.  I kind of have mixed feelings about it.  There is no figuring and no chatoyance (sparkle).  It is somewhat interesting, but very two-dimensional.  Walnut, prupleheart and maple all seem to go with it well.

- Jim

funkmonkey

« Reply #10 on: 24 Dec 2009, 09:41 pm »
Jim-  on a complete tangent, but since you mentioned purple-heart...  First off, that is one of the most carcinogenic woods on the planet to work, handle with extreme care.  Remove any splinters right away, and don't breath the saw dust.  It is however, very pretty stuff.  You may already know this, but in a similar way that Cherry darkens with exposure to UV over time, Purple-heart will darken considerably with heat.  I was amazed at the richness of color that a heat gun was able to bring out.

WntrMute2

« Reply #11 on: 25 Dec 2009, 01:34 am »
I just finished listening to a range of material.  From the Black Keys to the Heartless Bastards.  Both vinyl and CD.  The sound is fantastic.  detailed as well as full bodied with nice bass extension.  I haven't played around with positioning at all.  They are pointed straight ahead, 12 feet apart.  Same position roughly as the Snell EIIIs that were there before.  Overall, a great christmas present from the Salk family

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #12 on: 25 Dec 2009, 01:40 am »
I just finished listening to a range of material.  From the Black Keys to the Heartless Bastards.  Both vinyl and CD.  The sound is fantastic.  detailed as well as full bodied with nice bass extension.  I haven't played around with positioning at all.  They are pointed straight ahead, 12 feet apart.  Same position roughly as the Snell EIIIs that were there before.  Overall, a great christmas present from the Salk family

Happy that you like them.

Nuance

« Reply #13 on: 25 Dec 2009, 07:38 am »

Happy that you like them.

+1.  Merry Christmas, WntrMute2.

WntrMute2

« Reply #14 on: 25 Dec 2009, 05:23 pm »
I was worried that my HT2s would be wanting for more power since many of you are driving with mega amps.  I've got to tell you I am reaching really high SPLs with minor volume settings.  I am very impressed with the sensitivity of these.  The specifications would indicate otherwise but they play substantially louder than the Snells they are replacing.  I'm using 150 watt Transcendent monoblocks.  Room size is small-13' X 15' with lots of bookshelves, racks, etc.

rahimlee54

« Reply #15 on: 25 Dec 2009, 10:28 pm »
Nice looking music collection.  I'd probably be a little paranoid with my speakers that close to a glass door where the temp changes could cause wood problems.

WntrMute2

« Reply #16 on: 26 Dec 2009, 01:17 am »
Nice looking music collection.  I'd probably be a little paranoid with my speakers that close to a glass door where the temp changes could cause wood problems.

Well those are fairly sophisticated double pane Pella sliders.  Very tight.  maybe a problem but I don't think so.  Jim, any forseable problems?  Also, I may be moving them out into the room a bit.

jsalk

« Reply #17 on: 26 Dec 2009, 01:21 am »

Well those are fairly sophisticated double pane Pella sliders.  Very tight.  maybe a problem but I don't think so.  Jim, any forseable problems?  Also, I may be moving them out into the room a bit.

I don't see any problems, but would definnitely move them out into the room a bit.

- Jim

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #18 on: 26 Dec 2009, 01:55 am »
Very nice looking speakers  :thumb: , enjoy!

Lin

skidro

« Reply #19 on: 26 Dec 2009, 01:02 pm »
Love the look with drivers flush-mounted instead of in a baffle. JIM, does this affect sound quality in any way at all? Also, are the SEAS w-18 drivers used in the HT-2 TL's available in black, or only as pictured in these photos? I'm contemplating a pair in automotive finish dark silver metallic, and black drivers flush-mounted might make quite a striking look.