I'm dyin' here!!! The Great DAC Shootout...

jhm731

Re: I'm dyin' here!!! The Great DAC Shootout...
« Reply #280 on: 3 Jun 2010, 08:54 pm »
Tranquility popped the hood at LSAF:

Danny Richie

« Reply #281 on: 3 Jun 2010, 09:11 pm »
I see Mundorf Supreme caps in there.  :thumb:

Dracule1

• Volunteer
« Reply #282 on: 4 Jun 2010, 11:18 pm »
I think they are using a new cap which is suppose to be better than the Mundorf Supreme.  However, Eric will probably put in any cap you want as long as it fits inside the chassis.  It looks elegantly simple, but there's a lot more going on in there than the picture suggests.

jhm731

« Reply #283 on: 5 Jun 2010, 12:12 am »
It looks elegantly simple, but there's a lot more going on in there than the picture suggests.

What's going on that the picture doesn't suggest?

Danny Richie

« Reply #284 on: 5 Jun 2010, 12:19 am »
I know one thing that all the pictures and anything else that you can see when looking inside won't tell you. It won't tell you of the hours and hours spent listening to and comparing circuit layout and parts selection. I know for fact that these guys spent a lot of time in R&D, and it was clearly worth the effort.

Bigfish

« Reply #285 on: 7 Jun 2010, 01:41 pm »
My Tranquility/Mac Mini System now has approximately 15 hours of playing time on it and I am very happy with the sound coming from my system.  Eric Hider of db Audio Labs went far beyond any of my normal expectations for customer service and spent an hour on Saturday afternoon with me on the telephone optimizing the Mac Mini for music play back. 

This hobby is really about what sounds good to each of us individually.  I was hesitant to try The Tranquility as there is not a lot of information about it other than what is here on AC.  However, after trading PMs, talking with other owners and finally with Eric Hider I decided to try it kowning I could return it within 30 days for a $75.00 restocking fee.  It is my understanding that the sound I am now hearing will continue to improve in quality for up to approximately 200 hours.  Since I am already happy with the system there is no way I will be returning The Tranquility.

Some of you will not be interested in The Tranquility because it in not a "hi-rez DAC."  This was not an issue for me because I do not own hi-rez files and current hi-rez selections of interest, for me, are very limited.  If you have to have Hi-Rez Capability it is my understanding that db Audio Labs is working on having one available in the near future.  If you are like me with limited use for hi-rez then I would suggest you trial The Tranquility in your system and form your own opinion.  Based on my experience with the Tranquility and with Eric Hider, I expect your experience will be a positive one.

Ken

roscoeiii

« Reply #286 on: 7 Jun 2010, 04:35 pm »
Doesn't get its own thread because it was a short demo, but thought folks here would be interested. I got a chance to audition the Antelope Zodiac+ in my system this past weekend, and wow! Best DAC I have heard in my set-up. The level of detail was stunning. Lovely decay on notes, and acoustic material never sounded so effortless. Both coax and USB sounded wonderful, though no chance to really A/B them. A real contender. The Zodiac+ is out now, but there will be a non-Plus version with fewer features that will be released late this year or sometime next year. Well worth checking out!!

dmccombs

« Reply #287 on: 13 Jun 2010, 04:49 pm »
And it could be that there's nothing "TRULY original" inside. 8)

I don't know Eric, so I don't have a vested interest here.  But until you hear the DAC, your are uniformed.  You are making rude comments about a products you haven't taken the time to hear.

This makes you come off as ignorant and annoying.  Please, listen to the DAC, then come back with an informed opinion.  Then, you may be worth listening to.  Right now you come off as a spoiled kid looking for attention.

I was skeptical as you are, but I have gotten to hear the DAC in my system the last couple of days.  It is terrific.  I don't care what's inside.  It could have a dead gerbil in there for all I care.  What I care about is weather the sound justifies the purchase price, and weather it is a good fit in my system.  The sound easily justifies the purchase price. 

I had a few audio guys over for a listen last night.  These guys are very knowledgeable, have great systems, etc.  They loved the DAC.  They stayed and listened for hours.  I was shocked as these are hard core vinyl guys.  Usually they will only listen to digital for a little while then want to throw on some vinyl.

Really, you would be best served to audition the DAC, THEN give your opinion.   :duh:

kajak12

« Reply #288 on: 21 Aug 2010, 01:59 am »
what system does eric use when he listens to his own dac? :thumb:

db audio labs

• Industry Participant
« Reply #289 on: 21 Aug 2010, 03:53 am »
Hi Kajak12,

To answer your inquiry:

I have three primary sound systems. The only thing they each have in common is the digital front end, which of course, is the Tranquility DAC / Essential USB Cable / Mini DuoFilter Cable / Tranquility power cord ;-)

Listed below is a basic construct of each sound system.

System #1

*Epiphany 20/21 Line arrays and Epiphany subs
Dodd Mono blocks with custom caps, custom tweaks and cryo'd NOS tubes
Custom Nickel Autoformer preamp
Ridge Street audio and custom bi-wire Reality cabling

* Ridge Street Audio Granite Sason Ltd speakers are interchanged with the Epiphany line arrays depending on both my mood and R & D listening evaluations

System #2

Legacy Whispers with Legacy Pacemaker sub
Acoustic Reality EAR monoblocks
Custom active buffer preamp
Reality Signature Cabling

System #3

Custom 2-way monitors using Scan Speak Revelator woofers and Hiquphon tweeters
Custom tweaked out high current 120 watt SS amp
Dodd Audio battery preamp with Siemens CCa tubes

Cheers, Eric Hider - dB Audio Labs  :thumb:

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #290 on: 21 Aug 2010, 05:17 am »
Hi Kajak12,

To answer your inquiry:

I have three primary sound systems. The only thing they each have in common is the digital front end, which of course, is the Tranquility DAC / Essential USB Cable / Mini DuoFilter Cable / Tranquility power cord ;-)

Listed below is a basic construct of each sound system.

System #1

*Epiphany 20/21 Line arrays and Epiphany subs
Dodd Mono blocks with custom caps, custom tweaks and cryo'd NOS tubes
Custom Nickel Autoformer preamp
Ridge Street audio and custom bi-wire Reality cabling

* Ridge Street Audio Granite Sason Ltd speakers are interchanged with the Epiphany line arrays depending on both my mood and R & D listening evaluations

System #2

Legacy Whispers with Legacy Pacemaker sub
Acoustic Reality EAR monoblocks
Custom active buffer preamp

System #3

Custom 2-way monitors using Scan Speak Revelator woofers and Hiquphon tweeters
Custom tweaked out high current 120 watt SS amp
Dodd Audio battery preamp with Siemens CCa tubes

Cheers, Eric Hider - dB Audio Labs  :thumb:
I can add that Eric has everything that Apple has ever made as far as computers go, too.  Well, maybe not everything:lol:  He tells me that the newest MacMini is the deal when it comes to a music server.

I'm still trying to hold up the PC end of things with a dedicated Zotac Ion based unit   :deadhorse:  I haven't given up quite yet.

Dave
« Last Edit: 6 Jan 2011, 04:16 am by dBe »

kajak12

« Reply #291 on: 22 Aug 2010, 02:11 am »
I can add that Eric has everything that Apple has ever made as far as computers go, too.  Well, maybe not everything:lol:  He tells me that the newest MacMini is the deal when it comes to a music server.

I'm still trying to hold up the PC end of things with a deedicated Zotac Ion based unit   :deadhorse:  I haven't given up quite yet.

Dave
thank you for responding

Dracule1

• Volunteer
« Reply #292 on: 23 Aug 2010, 09:12 am »
Can't argue with Eric's systems especially because I have the Sasons as well. :thumb: :wink:

Really the guy does have reference caliber systems that has paid off in the design of the Tranquility DAC.

Eric5676

• Blu Ray Oasis
« Reply #293 on: 2 Sep 2010, 03:50 pm »
Pretty amazing thread!

Quick question about the Zodiac+:

Do all of these products use the Burr Brown 1792s? (I think I read that correctly somewhere. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.)

highfilter

« Reply #294 on: 2 Sep 2010, 04:33 pm »
Pretty amazing thread!

Quick question about the Zodiac+:

Do all of these products use the Burr Brown 1792s? (I think I read that correctly somewhere. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.)

Correct, all models use the BurrBrown 1792-A chip. You can get more information in the underway review at 6moons: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/antelope/zodiac.html

tigzstudio

• Norah Jones Rocks!
« Reply #295 on: 3 Sep 2010, 03:27 pm »
A couple of days ago I put in an order for the Antelope Audio Zodiac+ model, I will let you know my impressions when I have some time with it.

Eric5676

• Blu Ray Oasis
« Reply #296 on: 4 Sep 2010, 04:25 pm »
A couple of days ago I put in an order for the Antelope Audio Zodiac+ model, I will let you know my impressions when I have some time with it.

Quite eager to see this as are many others I'm sure.

I was looking around and I see that Sweetwater and audimidi are starting get these and the regular Zodiacs in stock.

Burr Brown 1792-As are pretty nice chips that these units are using across the boards.

What I'm wondering is: Are these pieces really more for high end sound professionals and the like vs home use because kind of what they look like to me at least.

YMMV.   :)

Great thread!

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #297 on: 6 Jan 2011, 12:02 am »
Did you ever get the Antelope Zodiac DAC?   Any impressions on the sound quality?

mobileusa

• Industry Participant
  • engulfaudio.com - Audio Dealer
    • engulfaudio
« Reply #298 on: 8 Feb 2011, 12:31 am »
FYI...looks like AudiutopiA (horen.lifeme.net) is giving a Onix DAC25 away for free  :D. Just "kinda" stumbled to it... :roll:

persisting1

« Reply #299 on: 8 Feb 2011, 04:57 am »
FYI...looks like AudiutopiA (horen.lifeme.net) is giving a Onix DAC25 away for free  :D. Just "kinda" stumbled to it... :roll:

I always thought horen.lifeme was your site mobileusa?