I'm dyin' here!!! The Great DAC Shootout...

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
Re: I'm dyin' here!!! The Great DAC Shootout...
« Reply #260 on: 21 May 2010, 03:09 pm »
Do you think Eric and his team know more about designing DACs, than Metric Halo, EMM Labs, Pacific Microsonics, MSB Technology, Berkeley Audio Design, Weiss Engineering, dCS, Ayre, Wadia, Spectral, Nova Physics Group, Playback Designs and Wavelength Audio just to name a few?
No, but I do believe that they have the computer/USB/DAC interface figured out as good as or better than anything that I've ever heard... and I've heard quite a few different DACs.  The only ones that I've heard that I like as much are the Wavelengths.  I don't have a Wavelength budget.  Besides, I like them both for different reasons.

Dave

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #261 on: 21 May 2010, 03:19 pm »
I don't have a Wavelength budget. 

Dave

The Wavelength Proton is $900.  Next is the Brick at $1750 and they go up from there. 

http://usbdacs.com/Products/Products.html

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #262 on: 21 May 2010, 03:19 pm »
I have no idea where I pulled "Andy" from... I was sitting down at the time.  I know that he and Paul are good friends.  There has to be some give and take at the very least.  We all learn from one another in this world.

Dave

I can see how that could happen,, I've always thought of you as being a "Paul" Dave.  :lol:  Thanks for making me feel not so alone Dave:thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #263 on: 21 May 2010, 03:51 pm »
The Wavelength Proton is $900.  Next is the Brick at $1750 and they go up from there. 

http://usbdacs.com/Products/Products.html
I know, but the ones that I liked were a tad more expensive.

Dave

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #264 on: 21 May 2010, 03:52 pm »

I can see how that could happen,, I've always thought of you as being a "Paul" Dave.  :lol:  Thanks for making me feel not so alone Dave:thumb:

Cheers,
Robin
No problem, Mortimer.   :lol:

Paul,,, er... Dave

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #265 on: 21 May 2010, 03:53 pm »
I know, but the ones that I liked were a tad more expensive.

Dave

:scratch:  I've owned the Cosecant V3 and now the Crimson and have heard them all.  Wonder what you didn't like and why.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #266 on: 21 May 2010, 04:09 pm »
:scratch:  I've owned the Cosecant V3 and now the Crimson and have heard them all.  Wonder what you didn't like and why.
It's not that I didn't like anything.  I just like the Tranquility more in the price range that I have now.  I really liked my Cary 306 at the time I was hearing other DACs and I wasn't in the market then.

The thing that I like about the Tranquility is the spatial characteristics and the microdynamics (the same thing, really).  Nothing, and I mean NOTHING less than 5 grand has a handle on these characteristics as well as the T-DAC (Tranquility DAC is getting too long to type), especially with the delicacy that is just my cup-o-tea.  You would never know it, but I'm into subtlety.

Dave

Danny Richie

« Reply #267 on: 21 May 2010, 04:32 pm »
Danny-

Are you saying that you have listened to this DAC Vs.  all the dacs listed above?

I have compared it to some of those top units and I know of others that have compared it to some of the others. I have heard enough to know that they have figured some things out.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #268 on: 21 May 2010, 04:56 pm »
I have compared it to some of those top units and I know of others that have compared it to some of the others. I have heard enough to know that they have figured some things out.

Sounds like I may need to get one in MY rig and see what I hear then.   :scratch:

Bigfish

« Reply #269 on: 23 May 2010, 02:00 pm »
I would like to thank Danny, Dave and the others for posting their comments/results of the DAC Shootout.  Having now read every thread in this post I would like to post some comments:

1.  I am looking for a DAC to replace the ModWright Transporter I sold a few weeks ago and cannot come up with one reason not to trial The Tranquility DAC.
     a.  I have traded PMs and e-mails with Eric and I have found him to be very quick to respond
         and very informative. 
     b.  Eric is offering a reasonable restocking fee if I am not satisfied with the performance.
     c.  I have decided to purchase a Mac Mini and have done so because of the recommendations
         here and on the Computer Audio Site.  The Mac Mini is approximately the same cost as the
         highly regarded Lynx Sound Card some have touted you need with Spidif. 
2.  I had the PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC in my system for a demo (thanks to                   
    a local dealer/friend). 
    a.  I used a Squeezebox Touch as the source and connected it to the PSA DAC by a JPS SC-3
        digital cable.
    b.  It was a nice sounding DAC but it has features I don't need and will not use in my system.
        I have not purchased the PSA DAC because I want to hear other highly regarded DACs in my
        system. 

At this time my only source is the Touch and I am spending very little time listening to my system.  I cannot wait to bring the most out of my system and look forward to receiving the Tranquility/Mac Mini System.

Ken

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #270 on: 23 May 2010, 02:03 pm »
Bigfish

You'll be very happy with the Mini I think.  I sure do love mine.

btw-two more weeks for the GD   :thumb:

roscoeiii

« Reply #271 on: 23 May 2010, 02:09 pm »

GD?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel

prokennex

« Reply #273 on: 23 May 2010, 03:38 pm »
Anxious to hear your impression of the tranquility, especially since you already listened to the perfect wave dac in your system.

Tks in advance
Ray

TomS

« Reply #274 on: 23 May 2010, 04:42 pm »
GD = Grill Dome http://grilldome.com/
They're awesome and worth the wait.  Just don't smoke your DAC  :green:

Bigfish

« Reply #275 on: 23 May 2010, 05:05 pm »
btw-two more weeks for the GD   

Once you get used to it you will never consider going back to a Gas Grill. :thumb:

Ken

cfcmick

« Reply #276 on: 28 May 2010, 02:24 pm »
Anyone know if the Tranquility has inbuilt protection so that it can be plugged straight into the wall (no need for a surge protector/power conditioner)?

Thanks.

roscoeiii

« Reply #277 on: 28 May 2010, 02:30 pm »
cfcmick,

You might be better off asking on the Tranquility thread...

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #278 on: 28 May 2010, 02:33 pm »
Anyone know if the Tranquility has inbuilt protection so that it can be plugged straight into the wall (no need for a surge protector/power conditioner)?

Thanks.

It is expected to be plugged straight into the wall (at least initially said this)

borism

« Reply #279 on: 28 May 2010, 04:02 pm »
JTWRACE - I have the Tranquility and am very happy with it. Got it in January after reading the reviews on AC. I am also waiting for a GD which I first learned about on AC/Culinary Circle. Seems that I should stop reading this forum. Who knows what else I'll feel compelled to acquire next.