I'm dyin' here!!! The Great DAC Shootout...

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
Re: I'm dyin' here!!! The Great DAC Shootout...
« Reply #240 on: 19 May 2010, 11:26 pm »
In response to Yikes comments:

I attended the LSAF specifically to hear the Tranquility DAC to see what all the hoopla was about.  I have never personally met Eric Hider before this event, although I have talked to him about his DAC over the phone before the event.  So I can't consider myself a friend of Eric, and I have no loyalty to him or his company.   I have heard the PS Audio PWD/PWT at last years RMAF in their own room.   I recall that PS gear was very clean and clear sounding and was seriously considering the PWD with their soon to be released NAS music library.  However, a friend of mine whose ears I trust turned me onto the Tranquility.  Bottom line, I'm glad I got the Tranquility.  It does several things so right that PS gear lacks.  Mainly, the decay of instruments is so analogue like on the Tranquility but digital on the PS.  The timbre of the instruments is noticeably more natural on the Traquility.  The separation of intruments is very similar between the two.  I think the soundstage may be wider on the Tranquility but I would have to do a direct comparison.  The PS is squeaky clean almost to a fault.  Well, it's all my opinion based on my aural recollection, but don't take this too seriously like all opinions on this thread. Last thing, Eric is a very ethical guy and one of the most helpful people I have met in this hobby.  He actually opened up his DAC and showed me the technology that went into the DAC.  I have to say it is one of the most elegant designs I have seen.  For each component in the chain, he was able to explain why it was chosen based on sound engineering and blinded listening tests.  That's all she wrote.
There you have it in a nutshell.

Dave

sl_1800

« Reply #241 on: 19 May 2010, 11:27 pm »
Dracule1 that was very informative post, I too had the chance to glance under the hood of the Tranquility, very nice and clean.

jhm731

« Reply #242 on: 20 May 2010, 06:06 am »
Dracule1 that was very informative post, I too had the chance to glance under the hood of the Tranquility, very nice and clean.

Was it "one of the most elegant designs" you've ever seen?

If Eric was willing to lift his skirt at LSAF, why aren't there under the hood pictures on his website that the rest of us can see?  8)
« Last Edit: 20 May 2010, 07:26 am by jhm731 »

Dracule1

• Volunteer
« Reply #243 on: 20 May 2010, 03:51 pm »
My understanding is it will soon be revealed on one of the online magazines.  I can understand why
Eric has been reluctant to show the innerds on online discussion forums.  Based on this thread alone, the naive will make a judgement on how a DAC sounds just based on parts alone without even having listened to the unit.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #244 on: 20 May 2010, 04:58 pm »
My understanding is it will soon be revealed on one of the online magazines.  I can understand why
Eric has been reluctant to show the innerds on online discussion forums.  Based on this thread alone, the naive will make a judgement on how a DAC sounds just based on parts alone without even having listened to the unit.
Or someone will say that there aren't "enough parts" to justify the pricepoint without knowing what they are and the software involved.  Those that have never manufactured anything have no clue as to the actual cost of an item.   :scratch:

Dave

timztunz

« Reply #245 on: 20 May 2010, 05:00 pm »

Surely you're not suggesting that someone actually listen to something in order to offer an opinion as to how it sounds?  That would be preposterous.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #246 on: 20 May 2010, 05:04 pm »
Surely you're not suggesting that someone actually listen to something in order to offer an opinion as to how it sounds?  That would be preposterous.
Oh, no.  It is much easier to make assumptions and determine the value and sound of a piece of gear using our own ignorance as a benchmark.  It takes less effort and allows one to pontificate with impunity. 

Dave

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #247 on: 20 May 2010, 05:17 pm »
You are exactly where I am.  We be Bruthas! 

Clearly... Based on your post in the Tranquility DAC review thread, like you, I also preferred my Cary 306/200 in native mode.  I never used the 24/192 upsampling.  I'm really looking forward to your impressions of the Tranquility.  Trying to decide whether to give the W4S or this one a try.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #248 on: 20 May 2010, 06:15 pm »
Clearly... Based on your post in the Tranquility DAC review thread, like you, I also preferred my Cary 306/200 in native mode.  I never used the 24/192 upsampling.  I'm really looking forward to your impressions of the Tranquility.  Trying to decide whether to give the W4S or this one a try.
Yup.  It was a bit too hard sounding upsampled and sounded much more natural @ 44.1.  Sounded really good there.

I haven't heard the W4S.  I know lots of people like their products.  I'm sure that they are sharing technology with PS Audio since Andy Cullen manufactures a lot of the PS Audio gear.  Not a bad thing.  Cullen is very bright and does good work.

The Tranquility has that effortless, open sound that has me looking no farther, though.

Dave

cfcmick

« Reply #249 on: 21 May 2010, 01:14 am »
Was it "one of the most elegant designs" you've ever seen?

If Eric was willing to lift his skirt at LSAF, why aren't there under the hood pictures on his website that the rest of us can see?  8)

Or could it be that Eric and DB Audio have managed to come up with a TRULY original design that goes against the grain of the generally accepted design theories of current manufacturers (Emerald Physics anyone) and that they would prefer to protect their design until they have established some kind of foothold in the market?!  :green: :green: :green:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #250 on: 21 May 2010, 01:25 am »
Oh, no.  It is much easier to make assumptions and determine the value and sound of a piece of gear using our own ignorance as a benchmark.  It takes less effort and allows one to pontificate with impunity. 

Dave
You boys funny.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #251 on: 21 May 2010, 04:04 am »
You boys funny.
:jester:

We be tryin'......................... :dance:

Dave

jhm731

« Reply #252 on: 21 May 2010, 06:13 am »
Or could it be that Eric and DB Audio have managed to come up with a TRULY original design that goes against the grain of the generally accepted design theories of current manufacturers (Emerald Physics anyone) and that they would prefer to protect their design until they have established some kind of foothold in the market?!  :green: :green: :green:

And it could be that there's nothing "TRULY original" inside. 8)

Do you think Eric and his team know more about designing DACs, than Metric Halo, EMM Labs, Pacific Microsonics, MSB Technology, Berkeley Audio Design, Weiss Engineering, dCS, Ayre, Wadia, Spectral, Nova Physics Group, Playback Designs and Wavelength Audio just to name a few?

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #253 on: 21 May 2010, 11:57 am »
I haven't heard the W4S.  I know lots of people like their products.  I'm sure that they are sharing technology with PS Audio since Andy Cullen manufactures a lot of the PS Audio gear.  Not a bad thing.  Cullen is very bright and does good work.

Actually Rick Cullen.  I'm not sure that they are are manufacturing PS Audio gear anymore (since the GCC/GCA and Trio lines ended and they moved their manufacturing off-shore).  The new W4S DAC2 is quite a bit different from the PS Audio DAC (different chip and async USB on the W4S to name a couple... I think the only thing in common is really the I2S interface, which PS Audio published for public use).  I definitely like Rick's stuff as I have a PS Audio GCC-100 that was modified by him.

trianglezerius

« Reply #254 on: 21 May 2010, 12:54 pm »

Do you think Eric and his team know more about designing DACs, than Metric Halo, EMM Labs, Pacific Microsonics, MSB Technology, Berkeley Audio Design, Weiss Engineering, dCS, Ayre, Wadia, Spectral, Nova Physics Group, Playback Designs and Wavelength Audio just to name a few?

Apparently Eric and his design team does just look at the review here on AC.

cfcmick

« Reply #255 on: 21 May 2010, 01:29 pm »

JHM,

I was referring more to the synergy of the parts they're using rather than the parts themselves. At the end of the day, mate, it all comes down to what a piece SOUNDS like regardless of who the manufacturer is and I've yet to hear anyone who's actually heard the Tranquility have anything but good things to say about it. Surely that says something.  :thumb: 

Danny Richie

« Reply #256 on: 21 May 2010, 02:38 pm »

When they out perform all of them I must conclude that they have figured something out.

2bigears

« Reply #257 on: 21 May 2010, 02:42 pm »
 :D  it's all about the sound,and he gives you 30 days to give it a listen-see :D

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #258 on: 21 May 2010, 03:01 pm »
When they out perform all of them I must conclude that they have figured something out.

Danny-

Are you saying that you have listened to this DAC Vs.  all the dacs listed above?

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #259 on: 21 May 2010, 03:01 pm »
Actually Rick Cullen.  I'm not sure that they are are manufacturing PS Audio gear anymore (since the GCC/GCA and Trio lines ended and they moved their manufacturing off-shore).  The new W4S DAC2 is quite a bit different from the PS Audio DAC (different chip and async USB on the W4S to name a couple... I think the only thing in common is really the I2S interface, which PS Audio published for public use).  I definitely like Rick's stuff as I have a PS Audio GCC-100 that was modified by him.
I have no idea where I pulled "Andy" from... I was sitting down at the time.  I know that he and Paul are good friends.  There has to be some give and take at the very least.  We all learn from one another in this world.

Like I said, Rick does very good work.

I think that asynchronous is the best way to do the interface.  I don't understand why PS Audio didn't adopt it for their PWD.  Then again, I don't understand a lot of things.

Dave