Anyone own a Garmin Nuvi GPS?

KKM

Anyone own a Garmin Nuvi GPS?
« on: 19 Dec 2009, 10:51 pm »
Purchased the model 255W but it didn't come with a AC charger just a 12V car charger. I do have a USB charger for my Blackberry available but wasn't sure if it is compatible. The charger states that the output is 5.0V and 850mA. Anyone know or have an approved charger to verify? Thanks.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Re: Anyone own a Garmin Nuvi GPS?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Dec 2009, 11:05 pm »
You really don't need an AC charger as the GPS will recharge itself when you plug it into a cigarette lighter. It's usally good for 4-5 hours w/o plugging it in while using it, then you simply plug it in to recharge. The lighter plugin is active w/o the car being on.

The only reason I can see for an AC cord would be for online upgrades/updates to the maps. In this case I bought a RatShack cigarette inlet/AC plugin adapter so I could use the Garvin indoors next to my computer.

Cheers,
Robin

jackman

« Reply #2 on: 19 Dec 2009, 11:07 pm »
You really don't need an AC charger as the GPS will recharge itself when you plug it into a cigarette lighter. It's usally good for 4-5 hours w/o plugging it in while using it, then you simply plug it in to recharge. The lighter plugin is active w/o the car being on.

The only reason I can see for an AC cord would be for online upgrades/updates to the maps. In this case I bought a RatShack cigarette inlet/AC plugin adapter so I could use the Garvin indoors next to my computer.

Cheers,
Robin

What he said.  Also, make sure to check the garmin website and check to see if you have the most recent software.  I updated mine (Free of charge) and it runs faster.  if yours is new this may not be necessary.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #3 on: 19 Dec 2009, 11:19 pm »

Cheers,
Robin

What he said.  Also, make sure to check the garmin website and check to see if you have the most recent software.  I updated mine (Free of charge) and it runs faster.  if yours is new this may not be necessary.

What he said.  :lol:  You should 1st check the Garmin website for updates, the owners manual should tell you this before even using it. I know on my 755t, it was necessary to get these updates first. Read the manual!  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

KKM

« Reply #4 on: 19 Dec 2009, 11:47 pm »
Thanks for the reply guys, but I have several reasons for fully charging at home:
 - Ca requires the GPS to be mounted on left lower corner, so didn't want the hassle of the cord running across or under the steering wheel.
 - While traveling, only want to carry one cord, if my BB cord works then that would be great.
 - Want fully charged battery, on short trips of plugging and unplugging not sure if that is good for battery life, I think this is less of an issue since it probably is lithium ion?

I did just purchase it and do know that I have a free one time update coming to be used in 60 days. I was thinking of updating on day 58 to make sure I get the latest.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #5 on: 20 Dec 2009, 12:30 am »
Thanks for the reply guys, but I have several reasons for fully charging at home:
 - Ca requires the GPS to be mounted on left lower corner, so didn't want the hassle of the cord running across or under the steering wheel.
 - While traveling, only want to carry one cord, if my BB cord works then that would be great.
 - Want fully charged battery, on short trips of plugging and unplugging not sure if that is good for battery life, I think this is less of an issue since it probably is lithium ion?

I did just purchase it and do know that I have a free one time update coming to be used in 60 days. I was thinking of updating on day 58 to make sure I get the latest.

I place mine in the left most corner of the dashboard and I do run a DC cable across the front of dashboard and to the lighter. I have yet to use the battery myself. I think so long as your trips don't run the battery out and you leave it plugged into the cigarette lighter when you're not using it, you'll be ok. Or do what I did and get yourself a cheap AC/DC adapter that will allow you to use the DC cable indoors for your recharging. It will be a whole lot cheaper than an AC charger cable that you really don't need. I love my Garvin and would never have tried driving thru NYC w/o it,,, never! :duh:

Cheers,
Robin