Clarinet Building Suggestions

david62

Re: Clarinet Building Suggestions
« Reply #20 on: 23 Dec 2009, 07:32 pm »
Bill,

Very nice build!I will look into the Lansing box.I should have my kit and manual any day now.Are those Russian teflons?Thanks for posting.
Dave

tubesforever

« Reply #21 on: 24 Dec 2009, 05:58 am »
Here is a link to the B style Lansing cases.  They come in silver or black.  Half or full rack sizes are available in different heights and depths. 

Excellent cases!

http://www.lansing-enclosures.com/main/graybox/b-style/index.html

The Russian Teflon Caps to buy are FT-3 0.10 uf 600 volts.  They provide more than a little taste of magic at under 7 dollars each. 

If you decide to run the incoming 0.10uf signal cap (used to eliminate dc from reaching the circuit) I would urge you to use a pair there and a pair to bypass the output caps.  Otherwise bypass this cap with a good quality wire.

Here is a picture of my Clarinet a year ago.  Its even cleaner now.  I did not need the teflon on the B+ cap near the rectifier tube. 

I am running a pair of 1.0 SIO Mundorf Supreme at the final output and at the B+.  Both of these are bypassed with 0.10uf FT-3 Teflons.

I am using Panasonic ED 47uf 450V caps and a combination of Vishay nudes and Kiwami 2 watt resistors. 

Their ability to play during complex passages is uncanny.  There is simply zero collapse to the sound stage. 

See the silver jumpers at the bottom of the board?  These eliminate the 0.10uf cap used for DC protection.  All my sources have dc offset built in.  It simply mucked up the sound of my system to leave the cap in place.

Happy Holidays!

roger15ohm

« Reply #22 on: 24 Dec 2009, 06:35 am »
Hey Tube.

that is quite a bit of changes from your last finishing.  First of all thank you so much for sharing.

Some question about parreral the power caps (47uf).  What is the advantages of adding the 0.1?  likewise same as Cornet2.  Does good coupling cap make any sound difference here?  I understand if we do that in the signal helps to bring more details.  I am not sure in the power area.

You jump off the last coupling cap.  Isn't that will introduce dc to the pre amp? Is that fine? 

I really have no idea how good the Teflon is.  When i do some cleaning yesterday nite after moving to new place, ( new room for my hifi of course) I think my 4 Teflon looks exactly like yours. I recall 3 of us share to buy from ebay. Should have more in stock.  It was more when we were into vintage amps and parts. 

What is so good about this caps? mind to share?

Anyway Although we don't really celebrate Christmas here, I will you all a great Holidays and Marry Christmas!!!

david62

« Reply #23 on: 24 Dec 2009, 11:50 am »
Thanks for the good information and the link to Lansing.Are any of  the new teflon caps sold in the suppy houses as good as the old Russian ones? I am anxious to receive my kit and get started.Merry Christmas.
Dave

david62

« Reply #24 on: 24 Dec 2009, 04:35 pm »
It  looks like the Russian Teflons are the best value.I don't know what I'm going to do with 24 of them though...

Bill Epstein

« Reply #25 on: 24 Dec 2009, 08:18 pm »
I don't know what I'm going to do with 24 of them though...

Last year I got an amazing buy ($40) on 20 pieces of 20uF Aerovox motor runs and wondered the same thing. Well, 2 to this friend, 4 to that friend, 3 in the Simple SE....pretty soon you wish you had some more.

david62

« Reply #26 on: 24 Dec 2009, 09:52 pm »
Does anybody want to sell a pair of the Russian teflons?I see that he wants 35.00 in shipping and handling.
David

tubesforever

« Reply #27 on: 29 Dec 2009, 08:03 am »
The jumper wires simply delete the first components in the signal pathway.  Jim put these 0.10uf film caps there to stomp on any potential dc from reaching the gain stage of your Clarinet. 

If you are wondering if you need the caps or not, check the dc voltage output of your sources.  If you can measure more than 0.10 volts DC you are going to need that cap.

Getting along to the Mundorfs,   I found with my Clarinet that it loves having the Mundorf silver in oil 1.0uf cap for both the B+ bypass cap and the final coupling cap.  I parallel the Mundorf 1.0 caps with a 0.10uf Teflon cap.     

What they add is a very visceral amount of clarity throughout the frequency range.  They allow high level dynamic passages to play without any constriction in the sound field.

I have a favorite torture recording.  Its a Telarc CD / LP of Louis Lane Conducing the Atlanta Philharmonic.  In the opening track you hear Copeland's Fanfare for a Common Man.  Right at the start, there is an  opening section where a Gong and the tympany strike concurrently.  The Clarinet fit with the caps I mention here were able to fully resolve each of the two Tympany and the Gong. 

You can hear the head of the drum quivering under the mallet blow.  You can hear the gong being struck then rising to the pitch and then decaying all while the Trumpets and brass take over the party.

This is sonics at their very best.  I know of no other combination of caps that can deliver this level of clarity and not even break a sweat.

david62

« Reply #28 on: 30 Dec 2009, 12:02 am »
Tubesforever,

I plan to take your advice.I still have not received my kit,but it should be soon.Thanks again for all of the good input on this thread.
Dave