ANNOUNCING THE NEW AVA VISION DAC ! ! !

DSK

Re: ANNOUNCING THE NEW AVA VISION DAC ! ! !
« Reply #140 on: 18 Jan 2010, 06:02 am »
Yes 24 bit is handled too at all bit rates...

:scratch: Frank, you are still confusing me ... "24 bit" IS the bit rate.

The BIT RATES are 16 bit and 24 bit. The SAMPLING FREQUENCIES are 44.1khz/88.2khz/96khz/176.4khz/192khz.

I presume you are trying to say that:

1) the default jumper position will play: 16-bit/44.1khz, 24-bit/88.2khz and 24-bit/96khz but NOT 24-bit/176.4khz or 24-bit/192khz.

and

2) the alternative jumper position will play 24-bit/176.4khz and 24-bit/192khz but NOT 16-bit/44.1khz, 24-bit/88.2khz or 24-bit/96khz.

Is this correct?

Thanks Frank.

avahifi

« Reply #141 on: 18 Jan 2010, 12:08 pm »
Correct, but understand that the unit has not yet been tested under all input signal conditions.  We would appreciate any feedback from users regarding high big rate compatibility.

Frank

srb

« Reply #142 on: 18 Jan 2010, 01:48 pm »
With all due respect, why wouldn't the unit have been tested under all signal conditions?  Sounds like about an hour's worth of testing with a handful of sample files.

Steve

avahifi

« Reply #143 on: 18 Jan 2010, 03:49 pm »
Why not tested under all conditions?  Simply because I don't have a computer that allows access to high bit rate files yet. I have so many important documents written over the years in Pagemaker, Freehand, and Hypercard, that I need to have a Mac that still supports OS9 for many tasks.

I am thinking about picking up an inexpensive new Mac Mini just to allow direct digital output of hi res sound files, but have not done that yet.  I do know the Vision DAC will do just fine on 96K material from DVD Audio discs that my Oppo Blue Ray player will handle.

Very high bit rate music is stlll only a tiny fraction of the overall music available and our attention has been with getting the new products done and available first.

Again any feedback will be appreciated.  The unit is supposed to work on high res stuff according to the Wolfson specs that we followed for sure.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

srb

« Reply #144 on: 18 Jan 2010, 04:09 pm »
Very high bit rate music is stlll only a tiny fraction of the overall music available and our attention has been with getting the new products done and available first.  I do know the Vision DAC will do just fine on 96K material from DVD Audio discs that my Oppo Blue Ray player will handle.

Yes, my main interest was the higher resolution formats up to and including 24/96.

I am thinking about picking up an inexpensive new Mac Mini just to allow direct digital output of hi res sound files, but have not done that yet.

Go for it!  Besides having the capability to test file formats, I think you would appreciate having iTunes-type playlists and shuffle capability for your music library in the shop (if you're not already doing something like that on another computer).

Re: the Mac Mini, I know the base AVA Vision DAC only has a coaxial S/PDIF input.  Your "extended" version will have optical input as well, and I know you have recommended an inexpensive Toslink to Coaxial converter for your previous DACs.

My question is - is there any significant change in performance when using an external converter as compared to using an optical input designed into the main DAC circuit board?

Thanks,

Steve

avahifi

« Reply #145 on: 18 Jan 2010, 06:54 pm »
There should be no musical difference between using the built in optical inputs on a Vision EC DAC and using a properly designed external coax to optical converter box with the standard Vision DAC.

However, most of these recent posts are rather secondary in comparison to the overall musical performance of the Vision DAC.  Listen and you will hear.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

robinje

« Reply #146 on: 18 Jan 2010, 07:27 pm »
I have listened and I have heard...  this DAC is incredible!  The more I listen to it, the more I impressed I am.  And no...  it is not because the unit is beaking in!   :duh:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #147 on: 18 Jan 2010, 07:33 pm »
The more I listen to it, the more I impressed I am.  And no...  it is not because the unit is beaking in!   :duh:

:thumb:

JimB-MN

« Reply #148 on: 18 Jan 2010, 07:40 pm »
Frank,
I have a few hi-res files we can test 24/192 with when I get my system together in a couple of weeks.  As you know, the system will be Olive 4HD - Vision DAC - Avastar Pre - FET Altra 550 - Canton Ref 3.2.  I'm really looking forward to it. 

On the interconnect/speaker wire front, my son is the sound engineer for a small but very sucessful music studio in Chicago.  I was there this weekend for the first time since they did a move and complete rebuild. 
Millions in equipment, both new and old.  Almost all their cables are very nice but relatively inexpensive Mogami.  For speaker wire he laughed and told me the same thing Frank did.  Some good quality 12 ga (I think Frank said 14) is all I need.  This is from someone that takes music as seriously as anyone I've ever met.
Jim

nature boy

« Reply #149 on: 18 Jan 2010, 08:04 pm »
I have listened and I have heard...  this DAC is incredible!  The more I listen to it, the more I impressed I am.  And no...  it is not because the unit is beaking in!   :duh:

Have you got a bird pecking away at your DAC or something? :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

NB

pardales

« Reply #150 on: 18 Jan 2010, 08:09 pm »
I have had the Vision Basic in my system for about 10 days. It is different than the Insight+. First off, it is better in a few ways. The clarity is probably the biggest difference. The Vision provides an incredibly clear window on the music. I can definitely hear deeper into the recordings. It is a very musical DAC that presents the recording to you very much, it seems, as the recording is.

That said the Insight+ was a touch more on the sweet side where as the Vision has a dryer presentation. I don't know much about wine but maybe something like a very dry wine versus one that has more fruit overtones. There was also a wholeness to the Insight+ that I like that I have not yet experienced with the Vision.

Don't get me wrong though, the Vision is a superb DAC that I think many people are really going to enjoy. System synergy, as always, is everything. Another great product from AVA.

smargo

« Reply #151 on: 18 Jan 2010, 08:39 pm »
There was also a wholeness to the Insight+ that I like that I have not yet experienced with the Vision.

And I didn't really experience a wholeness as well - in fact I thought after really switching in the bryston bcd-1 and comparing to the vision - i thought the bryston sounded a touch more wholistic - Now im not so sure anymore - in almost 3 weeks -(my experience) - the vision has really come into its own - meaning wholeness, sweetness, etc. Of course you know im using the bryston as a transport to the vision - but with the comparisons - i used the bryston as a cd player and the vision dac with the bryston as a transport.

Wayner

« Reply #152 on: 19 Jan 2010, 09:31 pm »
My new (modified) Vision DAC will arrive tomorrow!!!!!! :hyper:   I will have to stock up on beer and plan on being a shut-in for the day. The play list will be brutal on the MartinLogans, but I will show little mercy (they generally like that) and will see how things go into the rarely achieved 4th stage of power. I have really only 2 CDs that can do this effectively, namely the Brian Setzer Orchestra and a Telarc CD of Arron Copland that is very dynamic.

I shall report back tomorrow.

Wayner  :eyebrows:

srb

« Reply #153 on: 19 Jan 2010, 09:42 pm »
My new (modified) Vision DAC will arrive tomorrow!!!!!!

What modifications and why?  Is the stock unit lacking in some area?

Steve

Wayner

« Reply #154 on: 20 Jan 2010, 12:12 am »
No. I have a special (older) preamp that required higher gain. That is the only change.

Wayner  :D

avahifi

« Reply #155 on: 20 Jan 2010, 12:23 am »
Wayne ordered the high gain option for his Vision DAC as described in our product announcement herein.  This simply adds a transparent gain stage after the filter stage to provide higher output voltage for some special needs such as a low gain preamp or use with a passive volume control.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

smargo

« Reply #156 on: 20 Jan 2010, 04:51 am »
In addition - i have sort of relaxed into the dac - meaning that music in general seems to be more relaxing than it was almost 3 weeks ago, - Course, it could be me

Its kind of like always having the radio on - and nothing stands out at you - Then all of a sudden - a song comes on - and it begs you to listen - thats what the dac does - but not in an obnoxious way or anything - its just part of the musical flow that is happening.

So im real happy, with the vision dac - it really presents music in a very natural way - See, when i first got it - it sounded good - but it really didn't turn me on. But gradually it sort of creeps up on you - that your listening to songs longer than usual .

I know its not supposed to improve over time - at least in theory - (and it all sounds convincing) - but to my ears - it has improved - becoming a player that you "wouldn't hesitate to tell someone how good it is" compared to the beginning of when i got it and said "oh its good - but big deal".

I hate to say this - But, I really think that patience is a real key to this dac - there are so many subtle things that start showing up over time - which supports the wholeness aspect that was talked about in an earlier post.

regards:

I really would like to hear how other people are experiencing the vision dac and if they are seeing the same things I am.

plaf26

« Reply #157 on: 20 Jan 2010, 05:50 am »
Picked up my Vision Basic DAC (upgraded from small box OmegaStar) and my Insight Double 240 (upgraded from OmegaStar 240EX in Dynaco ST150 chassis).  First impression is one of greater purity and clarity.  The closer the sound is to live music, the less it hurts my ears, even when turned way up.  This is the best yet.  Got a lot of listening to do. :thumb:

martyo

« Reply #158 on: 20 Jan 2010, 09:07 am »
Thanks for the comments guys, keep 'em coming.

Got a lot of listening to do. :thumb:
Okay then, turn it up, and report back when you have more impressions. :lol: 8)

Wayner

« Reply #159 on: 20 Jan 2010, 09:34 pm »
My Vision DAC has arrived today as promised! After install, I selected 3 notorious CDs for my first listening session.

'

and

From the first 3 notes on Playing the Angle, I knew this was a new sound. This album has some nasty "chain saw" synthesizers, driving beats, stereo panning and very calm and pleasant vocals. While the synth on selection 3 buzzed with it's rotating cutting teeth like buzz on a Leslie rotating speaker, I had the initial gut response to duck for cover. When the vocals entered the picture, it was kind of bizarre with highly distorted, nasty synths and totally perfect, non distorted vocals in total contrast of each other, yet playing at the same time. From that point on, I knew this DAC was "Visionary" to coin the phrase.

Thomas Dolby's Gate to the Mind's eye was soundscape of motion, featuring the theme song "Armageddon" which really likes to play with depth of field and lots of stereo panning of sound textures. It basically exploded before my eyes, er ears.

I was starting to understand why Henry (Oneinthepipe) blew some fuses on his first evening. The presentation is different. The music, along with all that wonderful texture, space and reverb project backwards, giving the recordings more depth, more impact and an almost strange sound of listening to monoblock amplifiers. This I attribute to the apparently excellent separation of the Vision DAC.

Some have commented that the DAC sounded better as time went on. My friends, you are simply getting use to your favorite CDs sounding in a better presentation. It will take some time for the mind to get use to the new presentation of the music.

The Camel CD, Coming of Age is a live recording of very special merit. It is very well recorded and the new Vision DAC revealed intricacies that I had not heard before. It is like this DAC is finally plowing thru complex musical passages and revealing everything as it must have sounded like in the studio. This may be some of the reasons why earlier DACs (from who ever) had a different sound, perhaps just failing to handle the complexity of it all when the music got going.

I will try to spend some more time with the new DAC tonight, but I can tell aleady that it's awesome.

Great job, Frank! I is one happy camper!

Wayner  :D