ANNOUNCING THE NEW AVA VISION DAC ! ! !

avahifi

Re: ANNOUNCING THE NEW AVA VISION DAC ! ! !
« Reply #240 on: 23 Jun 2011, 04:16 pm »
The Vison DAC has two volts peak to peak output with all bits turned on.

This might be a bit lower than some other DACs.  We did it this way because this allowed us to design the analog filter and audio output sections without needing any voltage gain devices.  All that are used are very (.0003% THD) low distortion current amplifiers with no feedback necessary at all.

Thus in making direct AB comparisons with other DACs or with the digtal sections built into CD or DVD players themselves, it is advisable to match levels as closely as practical to get a reasonable sonic comparison.  Too often, the loudest unit will seem to sound best even when it obviously is not best when the listening levels are matched.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Charles Calkins

« Reply #241 on: 23 Jun 2011, 04:49 pm »
Thanks for the tech info. I didn't understand why it was that way. All hooked up playing. Sounds real good.
  Is there a break in time? Or is that subject more snake oil B.S.

Cheers
                                           Charlie

martyo

« Reply #242 on: 23 Jun 2011, 05:18 pm »
Thanks for the tech info. I didn't understand why it was that way. All hooked up playing. Sounds real good.
  Is there a break in time? Or is that subject more snake oil B.S.

Cheers
                                           Charlie

Pm sent. 8)

charmerci

« Reply #243 on: 23 Jun 2011, 09:27 pm »
Yeah, there's a break-in time for your ears!  :lol:

It took me years of listening to AVA equipment to finally tell how bad most other stereo equipment sounds!  :lol:

Charles Calkins

« Reply #244 on: 12 Jul 2011, 10:40 pm »
Hi Guys:
 I've had my Vision Hybrid DAC since June 22. It has lot of break in hours now. I really can't say that now it sounds better than when I first got it hooked up and running. But I sure can say it is one Hell of a Dac. The best I've owned. It has replaced an aplhifi(Alex Peychev)DAC. An older model about five years old that sounds very good. But not as good as Frank's Vision Hybrid DAC. Plus Frank's is $2500.00 cheaper than what the aplhifi DAC was new. So if all you guys know of anybody that is looking for a DAC please steer them in the right direction. That would be Frank Van Alstine.

Cheers
                                    Charlie

Wally King

« Reply #245 on: 13 Jul 2011, 12:41 pm »
Hi Charlie,

Are you planning to give us a little more detail re. your impressions?  I ask only because I'm thinking of ordering one myself; I'm close, but not 100% certain.

Did you buy the DAC with the captive power cord?

Wally King

Charles Calkins

« Reply #246 on: 13 Jul 2011, 02:04 pm »
Wally:
 It is very,very hard for anybody to describe what they are hearing. A professional writer does a decent job of doing so. But no matter what a writer says if your in the market for audio gear you should listen before you buy. Can't do that anymore. Audio stores are becoming a thing of the past. Frank and most internet sales company give a thirty day try out period.

In my system everything just sounds so much better. Much more detail. Vocalists sound more like the real thing I hear at one of their concerts. Piano and twinkle sounds grab my attention. What more can I say?  I am very impressed with the DAC. Is it as good as a 10K DAC?. Hell I don't know. Is it as good as DAC's in its price range?. It is better than DAC's in its price range. In the past ten years I've listened to a lot of DAC's and a few come close but Frank's is still the best. I highly recommended you give this DAC a try. I know that you will be impressed.

Cheers
                                                       Charlie

pardales

« Reply #247 on: 13 Jul 2011, 03:07 pm »
My Vision Hybrid should arrive tomorrow and I am looking forward to it. I will report after I've got some hours on it.

I've lost count of how many DAC's I have owned and tried over the years. Can't beat a 30 day trial as it is really the only way to know a piece of gear will sound in your system.

Wally King

« Reply #248 on: 13 Jul 2011, 03:44 pm »
Bottom line, I was hoping to get an excellent DAC for less than the $2000 the hybrid will set me back.  I know ... I could buy the regular Vision DAC, but then I'd always be wondering what I was missing by not having the hybrid.

But, the hybrid DAC will be my 4th piece of AVA gear, my previous AVA purchases have never failed to work perfectly, and I like the ability to send the DAC back for future upgrades, since DAC technology seems to be moving faster than just about anything else in the audiophile world.

Pardales, I'm looking forward to hearing what you think when you get rexceiev yours.

Charlie, what digital cable are you using?

Wally King

Charles Calkins

« Reply #249 on: 26 Jul 2011, 02:12 pm »
Wally:
 Just saw your post this morning. I'm using a bluejeans coax digital cable.

Cheers
                                                                 Charlie

pardales

« Reply #250 on: 26 Jul 2011, 02:55 pm »
I like to give myself lots of time before I report, especially with new gear. Consider this preliminary but after a couple of weeks and a couple of hundred hours of living with the Vision Hybrid, I am very pleased. I need a few more weeks still but at this point I think it is the best DAC I have had in my system in a number of years.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #251 on: 26 Jul 2011, 03:13 pm »
I like to give myself lots of time before I report, especially with new gear. Consider this preliminary but after a couple of weeks and a couple of hundred hours of living with the Vision Hybrid, I am very pleased. I need a few more weeks still but at this point I think it is the best DAC I have had in my system in a number of years.

Me Too!!!!!

Cheers
                                         Charlie

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #252 on: 29 Jul 2011, 12:13 am »
I continue to be amazed with my Vision Hybrid DAC, which replaced the Insight+ DAC (no slouch) last February, and have had plenty of time to get used to it.

pansixt

« Reply #253 on: 29 Jul 2011, 12:36 am »
I bought the Vision EC DAC around Christmas during Franks Holiday sale.
At that time I hadn't heard about a Vision Hybrid DAC but with the sale and all, I don't
think it would have been in my price range anyhow.

I am using Blue Jeans Coax and just ordered one of their optical cables. The EC DAC has two
Coax and two Optical Inputs. So with my transport, CATV converter, DVD Player and the
upcoming Squeezebox Touch, I have all four inputs utilized.

The Vision DAC has an amazing sound. I continue to be amazed at how good it is.

Currently I am using a stand-in solid state NAD preamp and a stock Dyna ST70 amp.

My next goal is one of Franks Tube Pre's, and someday trade up for a Hybrid DAC.
I continue to hear great stuff about them.

Maybe after RMAF I will order the preamp.

James

Charles Calkins

« Reply #254 on: 29 Jul 2011, 12:53 am »
James:
 I have Frank's Avastar preamp. IMHO It's a KILLER!!!!. I haven't heard anything that would make me sell it and possibly get an inferior preamp. No matter what the experts say.

Cheers
                                                  Charlie

charmerci

« Reply #255 on: 29 Jul 2011, 04:24 am »
James,

What happened to your Mac pre-amp?

pansixt

« Reply #256 on: 29 Jul 2011, 06:40 pm »
Sorry for the delayed response.

The C28 needs a rebuild. It has been a wonderfully warm and faithful preamp for many
years for a solid state. And it did look good under the MR78 Tuner with the matching cabinets.

A rebuild, competently done could be 600 -800 bucks, and I really want an AVA T8.
Time for a Tube Preamp to feed the Dyna 'saur.

James

pansixt

« Reply #257 on: 29 Jul 2011, 11:38 pm »
James:
 I have Frank's Avastar preamp. IMHO It's a KILLER!!!!. I haven't heard anything that would make me sell it and possibly get an inferior preamp. No matter what the experts say.

Cheers
                                                  Charlie

Charlie,

I wish I could swing an Avastar.

And if they really were experts, they would be agreeing with you. :)

James

Nocturne79

« Reply #258 on: 22 Dec 2011, 02:07 am »
Hey everyone,  I just wanted to put in my compliments to Frank on a wonderful dac!  I got the ec vision dac and I really love this dac in my speaker setup as it makes the music sound even nicer :)  Great stuff and merry christmas to everyone!

Crazy Nocturne

setamp

« Reply #259 on: 5 Jan 2012, 03:21 pm »
Has anyone compared the optical out from a Mac (or other source) to the coax from the same source?