ANNOUNCING THE NEW AVA VISION DAC ! ! !

roscoeiii

Re: ANNOUNCING THE NEW AVA VISION DAC ! ! !
« Reply #220 on: 23 Mar 2010, 07:58 pm »
I should have been more specific. I was curious about measurements of the sound and outputs not the dimensions of the box. THD+N, etc...

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #221 on: 24 Mar 2010, 02:24 am »
Check the AVA website www.avahifi.com Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) #2 regarding Frank's approach to specifications.

I should have been more specific. I was curious about measurements of the sound and outputs not the dimensions of the box. THD+N, etc...
« Last Edit: 10 Feb 2011, 10:18 pm by Tone Depth »

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #222 on: 24 Mar 2010, 03:51 am »

roscoe,

Here is a very breif quote from Frank's original post regarding his new DAC:

The design has a 2000 volt per microsecond slew rate and less than 0.0003 percent harmonic distortion.

Give Frank a call. He is more than helpful, and can answer questions in great detail. The same detailed answers may be a total pain in the ass to try and write herein. :thumb:

Have fun,
Jerry

Wayner

« Reply #223 on: 30 Mar 2010, 07:54 pm »
By the way, here is a picture of the new Vision EC DAC:

and the back side:

Wayner  :D

srb

« Reply #224 on: 30 Mar 2010, 08:13 pm »
Wayne, what is the rear panel material overlayed on the metal back panel?

Steve

Wayner

« Reply #225 on: 30 Mar 2010, 08:23 pm »
It's our standard label material (polycarbonate), laser etched (white under black, remove black, have white) with topics and has a P.S.A. to complete the application. This is the same label stuff that we have been using for years.

Wayner

avahifi

« Reply #226 on: 30 Mar 2010, 10:29 pm »
Just as a clarification, the label material you see in the photo of the back panel of the Vision EC preamp is as Wayne describes.

The much smaller individual product ID labels with serial numbers and details of options, etc., are made in house as needed and are not as heavy duty as the overall product back panel labels as shown.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

mathgeek97

« Reply #227 on: 30 Jun 2010, 03:35 pm »
I would like to add that my Vision EC DAC plays very nicely with the optical out of an Apple Airport Express (802.11n version).  Many of the DACs out there are having major issues with dropouts when connected to an Airport Express, but it seems that the Wolfson 8742 chip set used in the AVA is not having any problems.
Thanks Frank and Company!

Wayner

« Reply #228 on: 30 Jun 2010, 04:15 pm »
How do you like having 4 selectable inputs (2 coax, 2 toslink) and switchable from the front?

Wayner

mathgeek97

« Reply #229 on: 30 Jun 2010, 04:30 pm »
How do you like having 4 selectable inputs (2 coax, 2 toslink) and switchable from the front?

Wayner

2 coax + 2 toslink was a must have for me.  Even a simple setup these days can have some combination of a Blu-Ray/DVD/CD/SACD player, music server (Airport Express/Squeezebox), computer, Apple TV, Wadia iPod transport, cable/satellite TV/Tivo, etc.  Having controls on the front is also a must have, otherwise, nothing would ever get switched.  :thumb:

festuss

« Reply #230 on: 25 Aug 2010, 10:58 am »
Any plans to do DAC with DSD upsampling ?  I think Wolfson chips may be capable of doing DSD? 

Charles Calkins

« Reply #231 on: 16 Nov 2010, 12:31 am »
Pardon me for my stupidity but I can't seem to find the dimensions of the DAC. I'm sure it's there somewhere. Easier for me to ask my AudioCircle BUDS!.

Cheers
                                               Charlie

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #232 on: 16 Nov 2010, 12:35 am »
Pardon me for my stupidity but I can't seem to find the dimensions of the DAC. I'm sure it's there somewhere. Easier for me to ask my AudioCircle BUDS!.

Cheers
                                               Charlie

If your disc player or computer has an optical output, then the multiple input Vision EC DAC is for you. The Vision EC provides two optical and two coax switchable inputs. Both models are available factory wired only, 17" wide, 12" deep, 3.5" high, 12 pounds.http://avahifi.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=247&Itemid=240&74a0ad6b5f7a1df0ef4ab98b8fffbb41=13d9edff3bb589b0ee5d37d19351633b

Charles Calkins

« Reply #233 on: 16 Nov 2010, 12:45 am »
jtwarce:

Thank you.

Cheers
                          Charlie

Charles Calkins

« Reply #234 on: 22 Jun 2011, 11:15 pm »
UPS delivered my new Vision Hybrid Dac today. Been listening to it for an hour or so.
                                           Question!!

How come my CD player has more gain when it's playing than when I use it as a transport and I'm listening to tunes through the Dac.

Cheers
                                         Charlie

pardales

« Reply #235 on: 22 Jun 2011, 11:21 pm »
Congrats on the new DAC!   :D

modular747

« Reply #236 on: 22 Jun 2011, 11:57 pm »
How come my CD player has more gain when it's playing than when I use it as a transport and I'm listening to tunes through the Dac.                                     

Your CD transport has no gain at all. It just sends the raw digital data to a DAC. 

If it sounds louder when listening to the analogue outputs of the player than when used through the Vision DAC, it means that the internal DAC and audio circuits have more gain than the Vision DAC.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #237 on: 23 Jun 2011, 12:20 am »
Sure is confusing. I'm not sure yet if I'd prefer to listen to just the CD player or the CD player used as a transport going through the DAC. Maybe in a few weeks I'll have made up my mind. Hope my youngest daughter can come and listen. She has very excellent hearing. None better!!!

Cheers
                                Charlie

charmerci

« Reply #238 on: 23 Jun 2011, 12:45 am »
Sure is confusing. I'm not sure yet if I'd prefer to listen to just the CD player or the CD player used as a transport going through the DAC. Maybe in a few weeks I'll have made up my mind. Hope my youngest daughter can come and listen. She has very excellent hearing. None better!!!

Cheers
                                Charlie

Stereo shops used to (still do?) play one brand louder than the other to get the person to buy the higher profit margin (louder) component.

A better way to compare is to listen to your new Vision DAC for at least a couple of weeks and only then put the old CD player back on to compare.

trebejo

« Reply #239 on: 23 Jun 2011, 01:06 am »
A better way to compare is to listen to your new Vision DAC for at least a couple of weeks and only then put the old CD player back on to compare.

That's an excellent suggestion. Sometimes it's really easy to spot whether something is different, a bit harder to accurately decide whether it is an overall improvement. Sometimes, it's not so easy to explain the difference, which leads to psychoacoustic grammatical congestion.

If you really like the DAC, then you will miss it when you take it out of your audio chain, specially once you're used to it. You can make up the words to explain it later.   :dunno:

PGC, a common malady of our times... anyway, when I got my ultradac and did the instantaneous a/b test against the dacmagic, I would have "honestly" stated that it hardly made a difference. But as the song progressed, something in the mood was very different, and much better!