reddmadder

Re: Avatar
« Reply #40 on: 26 Dec 2009, 01:39 pm »
Avatar,along with a handful of other films made since the invention of film will  deservedly be noted as one of the giant technological leaps in the medium of visual storytelling.
I chose to see Avatar in a IMAX 3D theater and I highly recommend that it be seen in that format.Anything less will be a compromise in the experience of viewing Cameron's vision.
SPOILER ALERT
In the context of his earlier films ,you'll recognize Cameron's use of the time honored themes of man vs. machine and man vs. nature.
He also expands on some of his earlier production designs:
The humanly inhabited robotic freight lifter which Sigourney Weaver uses to fight the Mother alien is now expanded 10 fold in size and turned into a walking fighting machine.
The luminescent alien life forms found in the depths of the sea in The abyss are greatly enhanced and utilized as the fauna and flora of the planet Pandora.
Ever since The Terminator where he uses a shot of a truck's tire smashing a child's toy(a metaphor for the entire film)we see Cameron's fascination with machines and what a sight to see his interpretation of mankind's futuristic military fighting machines ,which unlike the phantasmagorical creatures which inhabit the planet,serve the film perfectly as  counterpoint.
While most reviewers and audiences will focus on Cameron's magnificent digital creation ,the film hangs this achievement on a solid narrative, weaving such
allegorical elements as  the myth of the hero and the contemporary American policy of the raping and ultimate destruction of the natural resources of Third world countries.
If you're a fan of Alien you'll also  notice a little inside "joke" where that the Sigourney Weaver character (Grace) has a few arguments with a character named Parker,matching her vocal tone to the earlier film.
Add Avatar to the short list of films that will be copied for the next 10-20 years,it's unfortunate that 99% of them will fall grievously short in their ambition.

Mariusz

« Reply #41 on: 26 Dec 2009, 05:02 pm »
***** !!!
Awesome !!!

Entertaining !!!

Visionary !!!

(see it in 3D)

Mariusz

Bigfish

« Reply #42 on: 26 Dec 2009, 10:34 pm »
***** !!!
Awesome !!!

Entertaining !!!

Visionary !!!

(see it in 3D)

Mariusz

I just came from seeing this movie and Mariusz said exactly what I think about this movie.  There are not many must see movies but this is one of them and please see it in 3D.  The theater was full this afternoon and everyone clapped at the ending!  4.5 out of 5 stars. 

Ken

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
« Reply #43 on: 27 Dec 2009, 03:44 pm »

Bigfish

« Reply #44 on: 29 Dec 2009, 08:14 pm »
Guys:

I just got back from seeing this movie in 3-D for the second time and honestly I will probably go back for a 3rd time.  The scenery and detail in this movie from start to finish is better than any movie I have ever seen.  Go see this one!

Ken

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #45 on: 29 Dec 2009, 08:16 pm »
Guys:

I just got back from seeing this movie in 3-D for the second time and honestly I will probably go back for a 3rd time.  The scenery and detail in this movie from start to finish is better than any movie I have ever seen.  Go see this one!

Ken

Just got back from seeing it myself in 3-D.

Extremely well done and totally engaging.  Who cares that screenplay isn't a masterpiece, other parts of the moving are!!

Definitely a must see.

George

BobM

« Reply #46 on: 29 Dec 2009, 08:45 pm »
We're going tonight in 3D, but not IMAX.

Is it worthwhile to steal the 3D glasses and bring them home? I'm wondering if the DVD will be issued in 3D or only in regular movie form, and if my TV will be able to replicate the 3D effect to make the glasses useful.

Any thoughts or anyone see how they're going to issue this on DVD?

Bigfish

« Reply #47 on: 29 Dec 2009, 08:49 pm »

Is it worthwhile to steal the 3D glasses and bring them home? I'm wondering if the DVD will be issued in 3D or only in regular movie form, and if my TV will be able to replicate the 3D effect to make the glasses useful.

Bob:

I read that the DVD and BluRay Versions will be released next summer.  The 3D version is to be released in time for Christmas and the article stated it would be made to take advantage of new technology tvs to be released next year.  I don't know if the 3D will work on the screens we have today.

Enjoy the movie!

Ken

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #48 on: 29 Dec 2009, 08:50 pm »

All the 3-D movies I have purchased include the glasses.

I kept mine.  But we have lots of 3-D movies and my boys are constantly misplacing or breaking their 3-D glasses.

I am sure it will be available in 3-D when released on Blu-ray and DVD.

George

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #49 on: 29 Dec 2009, 08:56 pm »
First release won't (Cameron quoted here); said later release will once BluRay 3D spec and new 3D tv spec is ironed out. 
http://www.movieweb.com/news/NEbDEgfjzSfcef

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #50 on: 29 Dec 2009, 09:03 pm »
First release won't (Cameron quoted here); said later release will once BluRay 3D spec and new 3D tv spec is ironed out. 
http://www.movieweb.com/news/NEbDEgfjzSfcef

Interesting...

Waiting on new technology seems like a valid reason to delay the 3-D release. 

I HATE the LOTR approach where they try to sell you the theatrical version first and subsequently release the extended version later.  I WILL NOT buy the theatrical versions on Blu-ray if they try and pull the same shit.

George

ctviggen

« Reply #51 on: 29 Dec 2009, 09:17 pm »
Especially since I needed the extended versions to figure out what the heck was happening.  I agree with you -- wait until the final version comes out.  (Unless that final version no longer runs on your older Bluray player.)

Bigfish

« Reply #52 on: 30 Dec 2009, 03:32 pm »
If you want to say "WOW!!" go see Avatar.

George

Zybar (George) just posted the above quote in the "District 9" Thread and I thought it would be appropriate to include it here.  Avatar had me going "Wow" less than 5 minutes into the film and kept me going "Wow" until the ending both times I saw it.

Ken

Wind Chaser

« Reply #53 on: 31 Dec 2009, 01:02 am »
Ken,

I still haven't seen it.  Assuming you saw it in 3-D, would you have said "wow" if you had seen the non 3-D version?

Bigfish

« Reply #54 on: 31 Dec 2009, 01:39 am »
Ken,

I still haven't seen it.  Assuming you saw it in 3-D, would you have said "wow" if you had seen the non 3-D version?

I think it was the visual stimulation that made this movie so very special.  If you can possibly see it in 3-D  I would definitely recommend that format!  I saw it both times in 3-D and will take the wife to see it hopefully this weekend!

Ken

mdconnelly

« Reply #55 on: 31 Dec 2009, 02:44 am »
The movie itself is quite entertaining by itself, but it's the 3-D and how the movie was made that will blow you away!

Mariusz

« Reply #56 on: 31 Dec 2009, 03:11 am »
Ken,

I agree with others.
This movie was made for 3D and it doesn't make sense to watch it in any other way. Do not get me wrong, it would be still entertaining in 2D but you realy need to experience Avatar the way it was intended to be recieved.

As to DVD version. Well, at this point it is nothing more then speculations.
We will just have to wait and see how new technologies will develop. It is all in early adop's hands.

Mariusz

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #57 on: 1 Jan 2010, 01:12 am »
I took my wife to see Avatar today, just as good the second time aound if not better and my mind was able to relax and enjoy.

This movie is simply outstanding!!!!

Let me put this on the table: Neytiri was simply incredible. I am puzzled that her character is not the subject of more conversion as I feel she was the life force of the movie and to me just an important as the 3D presentation.  What Cameron has done here is so very good it seems a little hard to comprehend fully.  The intensity and majesty of the story is delivered and makes any screenplay issues irrelevant IMO.  We watched a love story pulled off in a way that it was virtually without question.  What you saw I will argue is an animated character in Neytiri that probably is one of the most complex female movie heroines we have seen.  A sensuality and fierceness that fully captivated me.  Imagine five Angelina Jolie's wrapped in one.  Frankly I could not believe what I was seeing but it was confirmed later when I heard my wife sniffling and holding back tears.  The performances and the work done to bring these characters to life should not be overlooked by the 3D technology at work. 

I am going to call it as I see it, the Na'vi characters were more engaging than their human counterparts and IMO we have witnessed a paradigm shift.  Again, the movie is truly groundbreaking on many levels.  If one allows themself to go along for the ride, this is one hell of a experience.  The finest cinematic experience I've yet to have.

I have broken the ice now the rest of you can go ahead an confess.   :wink:

Bigfish

« Reply #58 on: 1 Jan 2010, 02:18 am »
I have tried responding twice to the last post and don't feel either was appropriate.  Just go see the movie and form your own opinion! :thumb:

Ken
« Last Edit: 1 Jan 2010, 12:47 pm by Bigfish »

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #59 on: 1 Jan 2010, 03:39 am »
great post, launche.
outstanding signature, too!