Bigfish

« on: 17 Dec 2009, 12:30 pm »
Avatar received a large write-up in the USA Today this morning and a rating of 3 out of 4 stars.  The movie opens tonight at Midnight at select locations and nationwide tomorrow.  I am planning on going to see this one, how about any of you?  I will be very interested to read your impressions as I may not make it until next weekend!

Ken

rydenfan

Re: Avatar
« Reply #1 on: 17 Dec 2009, 01:59 pm »
Ken, I am trying my best to see it this weekend. Make sure you find a true RealD 3D theater to see it in the best possible way.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #2 on: 17 Dec 2009, 03:33 pm »
Ken, I am trying my best to see it this weekend. Make sure you find a true RealD 3D theater to see it in the best possible way.

Luckily, you have a great local IMAX theater in Natick that you can go to.   :thumb:

George

nathanm

« Reply #3 on: 17 Dec 2009, 03:43 pm »
I thought about going, but didn't think it would look very good, especially when the movie could not be any wider than 120 pixels.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #4 on: 17 Dec 2009, 04:25 pm »
I'm amazed at the pull that Cameron still has on the industry.  To have a Golden Globe Best Picture nomination before it's ever released!!  ??

stlrman

« Reply #5 on: 17 Dec 2009, 04:53 pm »
Can't Wait !!! :drool:  I will be seeing in IMAX 3d for sure !!

TheChairGuy

« Reply #6 on: 17 Dec 2009, 05:24 pm »
James Cameron is really something special....I'm looking forward to this one  :beer:

That Terminator franchise certainly took a dump after he exited (the last two were just horrible films)

John

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #7 on: 17 Dec 2009, 07:17 pm »
Sigourney Weaver was on The Daily Show w/John Stewart and she was explaining how they wore helmets with cameras that recorded their facial expressions during the animated scenes. Cameron was able to incorperate these facial expressions into the computer generated scenes so the actor's acting skills are being reflected. I can't begin to understand everything that was involved in making this film but I hope they'd do a behind the scenes show on the making of Avatar.

I will be making the 2+ hour drive to see this movie in 3D IMAX myself, I wouldn't want to watch a film of this magnitude any other way.  :hyper:

Cheers,
Robin

ehider

« Reply #8 on: 18 Dec 2009, 08:51 am »
I just got back from the midnight showing here, saw it in 3D, but non IMAX and think that a first viewing of it will come across just as unique to viewers in the non-3D, regular movie format too.  I won't give any spoilers about Avatar. I'd like to coin the movie this particular way -

"It is not just a movie, but an experience, a brand new experience, like no other, plain and simple..."

:green:

pjchappy

« Reply #9 on: 18 Dec 2009, 09:36 am »
I thought about going, but didn't think it would look very good, especially when the movie could not be any wider than 120 pixels.

:rotflmao:

Toka

« Reply #10 on: 18 Dec 2009, 11:58 pm »
I saw it today (3D, no IMAX), and it was crazy fun. So far ahead in the visual department it was astonishing...more than one "whoa" from me. The story wasn't amazing (in terms of character development) but it wasn't a roadblock either. I will see it again for sure, most likely at the IMAX theater.

Bigfish

« Reply #11 on: 19 Dec 2009, 12:02 am »
Thanks Guys:

Keep the reviews coming, I can't wait to see it!

Ken

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #12 on: 19 Dec 2009, 12:13 am »
Saw the 3d version today, story line, i don't think there was an original thought in the whole movie does it mater no not at all  its a crazy good movie. just one phenomenal  visual  after another   :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: WOW just a great movie

ED

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #13 on: 19 Dec 2009, 01:06 am »

orthobiz

« Reply #14 on: 19 Dec 2009, 06:11 am »
Nothing I have seen before quite prepared me for Avatar.

I had no idea it was 2.5 hrs long.

Amazing.

Paul

PeteG

« Reply #15 on: 19 Dec 2009, 03:46 pm »
I never cared for 3D movies but Avatar at Imax 3D went to another level, just WOW!

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #16 on: 19 Dec 2009, 05:29 pm »
I found this review from Ann Hornaday of the Washington Post who gave Avatar a 75 rating to be most interesting. She makes comparisons of the megabudget Avatar to Martin Scorsese's The Young Victoria which has been receiving very high accolades but had no real big budget marketing strategy unlike that of Avatar. It doesn't take a marketing guru to predict which movie will be setting moviegoing records but the review asks the question which movie really deserves notoriety,,, and why!

To this simple mind, my choice is written in cement,,,, I will probaby never see The Young Victoria as it's simply not my cup of tea when compared to a high budget sci-fi with all it's bells and whistles. I'm sure a simple minded (Bose lovin') public will agree with me. Did I mention I use to own Bose myself?  :duh:   :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #17 on: 19 Dec 2009, 07:24 pm »
Bose owner and a Cowboys fan?

There is absolutely NO hope for you!    :lol:

werd

« Reply #18 on: 19 Dec 2009, 07:37 pm »
Looking forward to seeing it.. Don't mind putting my money down for this, take my kid along....

Another fantasy movie i am looking forward to seeing too is the World of Warcraft flick directed by Tim Burton. It's in the works now i believe.

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #19 on: 19 Dec 2009, 09:22 pm »
Bose owner and a Cowboys fan?

There is absolutely NO hope for you!    :lol:

Ditto!!!! :rotflmao: :angel: :notworthy: :bawl:

All kidding aside, I just came back from Avatar (cheapie, before noon it's only 6 bucks).  It's entertaining all right.  We also were treated a "live" baby cry show on the side; how's that for additional special effedcts?  Me (IMHO) think the whole movie's selling point are the special effects (awesome!), and nothing more.  Most of the money (how much, $400 million?) making it was spent inside the studio, and on the computer perhaps :duh:.  That's probably enough to make it a blockbuster. 

See ya Robin! :thumb: