The last foot

drummermitchell

The last foot
« on: 14 Dec 2009, 07:03 pm »
I have installed 4 Gik tri-traps(stacked) on the front wall(totally impressed by the way).
As my walls are 9',does that last foot in the corners make quite a difference in
controlling more of the bottom end.
The room is definately not ideal as it's very small 11X14(and busy).Even so the tritraps
improve the bottom end that when using my TT I can use both subs,where before I could use only one as I'd get lowend feedback when turned up to a
nice kickass volume when wanted.
Last note,i wonder aslo as perhaps installing 2 more tritraps on the back wall
would give more improvement or would using too many totally be overkill,
Thanks guys.

jriggy

Re: The last foot
« Reply #1 on: 18 Dec 2009, 01:57 am »
I too have wondered this... IME if I was to double up the tritraps, first of all, one set would have to be custom because I have 8'5" BUT there are baseboard heating ducts right near the corners in this old house. so I loose 5" on the bottom and would have to make a small stand or leg of sorts to rest it on so they are not blocking the ducts. Then the top has crown molding that sticks out. So I loose 5 1/2" at the top. Leaving me w/ 7' 7 1/2" of treatable space.
 If I was to make a logical guess, I would think we would both be fine with these bits of space not treated. but yours is a whole foot in one space so maybe not... Treat elsewhere to compensate?

Rob S.

« Reply #2 on: 18 Dec 2009, 03:52 am »
Why not move TWO of the Tritraps from the front of the room to the rear corners (if you can) and then order 2 more 5' high ones to put in the front on top of the other 4' ones?   I would measure the space height just in case. 

I had to order oneTRI in 3' 5"  and one 3' 4" but they both extend to the top of my drop ceiling and look fine.

Rob S.

max190

• Home of the St. Louis Cardinals!
« Reply #3 on: 18 Dec 2009, 07:19 pm »
I have installed 4 Gik tri-traps(stacked) on the front wall(totally impressed by the way).
As my walls are 9',does that last foot in the corners make quite a difference in
controlling more of the bottom end.
The room is definately not ideal as it's very small 11X14(and busy).Even so the tritraps
improve the bottom end that when using my TT I can use both subs,where before I could use only one as I'd get lowend feedback when turned up to a
nice kickass volume when wanted.
Last note,i wonder aslo as perhaps installing 2 more tritraps on the back wall
would give more improvement or would using too many totally be overkill,
Thanks guys.
Drummer, I would raise the top tri up to the ceiling and leave the gap between them.

The smaller the room, the more bass trapping you need.

Also, if you have the space I would add 244's or monsters directly behind your LP.

Good luck,

drummermitchell

« Reply #4 on: 19 Dec 2009, 01:22 am »
Thaks guys,I do have 2X242s behind my mains and of course the front is loaded with tries in the front corners.I do have a monstertrap  on the back wall up towards the ceiling and behind my couch a pair of 244 bass traps.
I was quite taken when I istalled the tritraps as before I could use only one sub,Now I can use two as I use to get lowend feedback.I can't imagine if i had a better room(LESS STUFF)and a bit bigger.Quite pleased so far.
I think I;ll be doing the back wall with tries also and a couple of stands for the other 242s for the sides.And either order a 4 of 6ft. tries for the front+back and
see.I imagine with back corners I should receive more I hope.Then were ready for that dedicated room,Thanks again.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #5 on: 19 Dec 2009, 02:02 am »
Unfortunately, we can't make them bigger than standard size, only smaller.  They really wouldn't be cost effective to only be 1' high.  Realistically, I don't think it's going to be a huge improvement to add that last 12". 

Honestly, you'd likely have better results by doing a pair of Tri Traps laying down horizontally along the wall/floor corner either along the front wall or behind the seating if it's close to the rear wall.

Bryan

drummermitchell

« Reply #6 on: 20 Dec 2009, 05:56 am »
Thanks Bryan,does having the tritraps(laying down) along the back wall have
the same effect as having them up in the back corners.i thought I read somewhere that corners were the worst :scratch:..
Either way in the NewYear I just have to get 2 more for the back corners or along the backwall +floor,Thanks.