2a3 has expression, EL84 has punch and drive..Is there a happy medium?

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
Not a bad schematic! 6SN7GTB's or GTA's as well as 6N7's can be substituted and with a few mods and more power could be obtained. Even a 12AU7 could be used. It only dissipates 1/4 watt less per plate than a BH7. The use of vintage iron is not a bad idea either. It looks like the primary impedance is around 4-6K for this project.

http://www.the-planet.org/Shishido.html

andrewbee

I built it with ECC99's and used old Dynaco Z565's for the outputs. It sounded nice enough. I just built it as an experiment and pulled it apart to use the Z565's for yet another EL84 PP amp which is still sitting down on my bench "almost" finished. Earlier today I started work on it and the soldering station would not power on, turns out the power transformer has gone out :x

Ces't la vie

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Try an 845 SET Class A amp. 

Very robust and sweet. On simpatico speakers it has the power and drive of push/pull,  and the inner lit beauty and sonic glory that makes SET so mesmerizing. 

At 22wpc the 845 tube is the most powerful true SET one can buy.  It will drive speakers with authority that would exhaust other SET tubes.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatube&1265207156&/Mastersound-Compact-845---SET-

Mastersound Compact 845

If I had the funds and the right speaker, this baby would be mine!

aa
Surprisingly the Mastersound 845 does not have point to point wiring as usual in many Italian tube amps.
« Last Edit: 14 Dec 2009, 07:01 pm by FULLRANGEMAN »

JackD201

I like the 6c33 tube as well. To me a well implemented 6c33 SET or SEP has the clarity or purity of voice of the 2a3 with 4 to 6 times the power depending on the power supply. Ayon's AA series DHTs look promising and their amps that use them have garnered good reviews and owner mentions. Has any DIYer ever tried to build amps around them? I'm also curious about the T1610.

Then there's the GM70. I'd love to hear the DeHavilland because I don't think I'll ever be able to afford the ML3 which floored me.

I've been told the Mastersound KT88 SE Pentode amp is pretty good too.

I recently bought a pair of Audionote OPTs for a 2a3 SE Parallel commissioned pair of 'blocks based on the AN kits. It looks to be the most common sensical way to get more punch out of 2a3s. Problem is I love RCAs but will have to do with current production variants because I think matched quads will be extremely expensive even if you actually could get your hands on 'em.

Jon L

I like the 6c33 tube as well. To me a well implemented 6c33 SET or SEP has the clarity or purity of voice of the 2a3 with 4 to 6 times the power

You're right, but with high sensitive speakers that are only using the "first watt," I don't think 6c33 quite comes alive until at least a few watts are used IME..

For medium to medium high sensitive speakers, 6c33 would be a great way to go, though. 

smk

• Life's a bummer, then you pay taxes.
Decware SE84ZS.

Replacement for SV83 tubes are EL84 which I use. Is an SET but don't get too hung up on power at about 2.0 wpc. I use with 93dB Omega's with good results. Of course, I don't need maximum volume.

However, to get the best sound, I think added gain of an active preamplifier is needed.

JackD201

I like the 6c33 tube as well. To me a well implemented 6c33 SET or SEP has the clarity or purity of voice of the 2a3 with 4 to 6 times the power

You're right, but with high sensitive speakers that are only using the "first watt," I don't think 6c33 quite comes alive until at least a few watts are used IME..

For medium to medium high sensitive speakers, 6c33 would be a great way to go, though.

That's why I like 2a3s. They're quick as well as clear. Speaker choice is critical though given their low output and I never took a shine to OBs or horns be they front or backloaded. I love the liquidity of 45s and 50s as well. I have some 300B amps which I like too nice for vocals using medium sensitivity speakers but they become veiled when listening to layered music with inefficient speakers. I'll be using my AN lookalikes on medium high 5 ohm flat 95 dB sensitive speakers and SET mode won't cut it in the bass department I need at least 5 quality watts for my purposes.

I like listening to small ensemble classical works in the bedroom while reading. Like the OP though I'm also looking for some punch because I listen to lively music in the morning as I get ready to go. Clears the cobwebs faster than coffee :) You'll see below I'm a dealer but getting high on my own supply is not on the agenda. Even at dealer's price the ML2.1 is overkill for a background music system (unless you're Bill Gates) and deserves a main system built around them. My AN project will cost less than 3,000 fully tricked out with premium caps (still deciding which) tubes included. I'm hoping going from SET to Parallel won't sacrifice too much clarity.

Of mid power triodes, the 845 amps I've heard, and may I qualify that I haven't heard many only the Mastersound and the ASLs were to my ears a touch too plump in the midbass. I admit they're very pleasing but not what I'm personally after.

Nick Bassman

Try an 845 SET Class A amp. 

Very robust and sweet. On simpatico speakers it has the power and drive of push/pull,  and the inner lit beauty and sonic glory that makes SET so mesmerizing. 

At 22wpc the 845 tube is the most powerful true SET one can buy.  It will drive speakers with authority that would exhaust other SET tubes.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatube&1265207156&/Mastersound-Compact-845---SET-

Mastersound Compact 845

If I had the funds and the right speaker, this baby would be mine!

aa

No denying the majesty of the 845 for sure.

However I own a Mastersound 845 and also a pair of Zu Def 2s and while the sound can be sublime there is a little
bit of a noise issue. How much of a bother it would be would probably be down to the individual user. I do appreciate
 the quietness of my Yamamoto, my wife, a non audio person, still maintains the Mastersound is/was the best
sounding amplifier I own for the Zus. Oh yes, my poor old back after moving that beast in and out of the rack,
it's heavy and awkward. Strangely enough I'm currently running a Luxman L-550 AII and I thought I was a "tubes forever" kind of guy.  :wink: