wifi internet and squeeze box audio

mort

wifi internet and squeeze box audio
« on: 11 Dec 2009, 08:59 pm »
Hello, I have a interesting problem that requires a computer geeks attention!! All of my internet communications are preformed via wifi provided by our marina/hotel (we live on a boat in the marina) as you may know the squezze box can communicate through wifi but it wont recognize my computer because it has no ability to sign in with the marina password. As a resullt of this I had to purchase a dedicated router to allow a path between my hardrive (computer) and the Sq box. In order to listen to music from the squezze center my computer has to be online with the router and not the wifi. Therefor I cant participate in this forum or any other online activities while lisstining to my music (wich I am always dooing). Is there any way to have the computer comunicate WIRELESLY two bolth the wifi and the router simetaneously? Thank 's Mort.

Big Red Machine

Re: wifi internet and squeeze box audio
« Reply #1 on: 11 Dec 2009, 09:10 pm »
I'm pretty sure if you are wired to the SB you can still download wirelessly on the laptop at the same time.  Have you set your SB to an ethernet connection in the setup and wired it right to the router?

lcrim

« Reply #2 on: 11 Dec 2009, 11:03 pm »
Your router either doesn't know the way or doesn't have a connection to the internet.

Your PC communicates w/ the router.  Yor SB communicates w/ the router.  The router routes traffic between the two devices.  You probably could have connected them w/ a crossover cable and gotten the same ability.  If the router can be configured to connect to the internet (you gave no info re: how the router is presently configured) you can use your PC to play music through SqueezeBox Server and surf the web at the same time.

mort

« Reply #3 on: 11 Dec 2009, 11:12 pm »
Thanks for the reply . My main problem is that there is no eathernet connection or cabel on the dock so I am compleatly reliant apon wifi (wich is free to marina residents) or purchase a usb based service provider cellular connection $60 a month!

Big Red Machine

« Reply #4 on: 11 Dec 2009, 11:26 pm »
Your router should pick up that wifi signal and then you can stay wireless or go wired with either device, your choice, and you'll have tunes while surfing.  That is what most of us do.  My router feeds my laptop the internet wirelessly and I can wire my SB to the router or run it wireless.  Tunes and internet simultaneously.

lcrim

« Reply #5 on: 12 Dec 2009, 12:53 am »
I'm guessing that the router you have is a home networking wireless device.  I doubt that it can be reconfigured to act as a wireless bridge between the marina wireless network and your home network using the software that came installed on your home device.
The router manufacturer must have a help line and the marina's provider should have a help line as well.  What you are seeking can be done.  It may be as cheap as reflashing the routers' software or you may need a more advanced device.
I have installed a wireless connection between two buildings that had a distance limit and also had to a be line of sight.  The two wireless devices had to see each other.  It wasn't cheap but that was a business environment.

JEaton

« Reply #6 on: 12 Dec 2009, 01:11 am »
You didn't really say how you're connecting your PC to the Internet.  Does it also have a wireless card?

The Squeezebox can be configured to work as a wireless bridge, bridging between a wifi network and a wired device (or devices if you attach a switch).  Connect it to the hotel's wifi network, then connect the computer directly to the Squeezebox using wired ethernet.  One downside to this setup, however, is the computer won't be behind a firewall, so security would be poor.

lcrim

« Reply #7 on: 12 Dec 2009, 01:43 am »
The OP could not authenticate the SqueezeBox to the marina's wireless network.

JEaton

« Reply #8 on: 12 Dec 2009, 02:11 am »
Sounds like Big Red Machine's idea should work.  The computer can be present on two or more network subnets at the same time.  If you have both a wired and wireless ethernet adapter in the computer, then you could connect the PC to the internet via the hotel's wireless and to your router using the wired ethernet.  Connect the Squeezebox to the router either with wired ethernet or wirelessly.  The computer would then be present on both your LAN and the hotel's wireless network and the Squeezebox should see it.  The only issue would be that the Squeezebox will have no connection to the Internet.

lcrim

« Reply #9 on: 12 Dec 2009, 03:11 am »
Making the PC "multihomed" should work.  It usually requires a routing table, however.

mort

« Reply #10 on: 12 Dec 2009, 07:27 am »
Thank you all for the abundent advice. I will try to work it out this weekend. What an awesome resorce this site is!

mort

« Reply #11 on: 31 Oct 2010, 09:08 pm »
I have fixed the problem by using a 275 megabite outboard dedicated server, hooked to a d-link with 2 2 teribite hard-drives no more storage isues and using my laptop as a remote controll for the remote desktop server I can now search the internet to my hearts delight all while listining to tunes through the squezzbox.