Dodd Buffer

Danny Richie

Re: Dodd Buffer
« Reply #60 on: 17 Jan 2010, 02:47 am »
Oh yeah, you have some caps in there that are going to require quite a bit of burn in time. They will be good out of the box, but will get even better as time goes on. Let us know what you notice.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #61 on: 18 Jan 2010, 02:04 pm »
Question:

Will the pulsing of the battery charger (CTek) cause any harm to the buffer if I have the buffer on and the charger still connected? 

gld

• Industry Participant
    • http://doddaudio@live.net
« Reply #62 on: 18 Jan 2010, 03:08 pm »
No problems at all. You may be able to hear it though, depending on the mode the charger is in.
Gary

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #63 on: 18 Jan 2010, 03:11 pm »
No problems at all. You may be able to hear it though, depending on the mode the charger is in.
Gary

Ok.  Good to know...just wanted to make sure that I wouldn't hurt it.   :thumb:

Bear

« Reply #64 on: 18 Jan 2010, 06:23 pm »
Me, but I still have to sell my Cary to git 'er dun....................

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?preatube&1265565712&item

Somebody, please!

Dave
Dave if this link is to your audiogon ad then congratulations!!!.....it shows SOLD.  If it isn't sold and this is your link....I think I might know why you are not getting any interest.  Have you made any progress on your speaker build?

Good luck on selling your Cary
Shane

Jon L

« Reply #65 on: 18 Jan 2010, 08:26 pm »
Gary has my buffer and will fix it this weekend.  I should have it back mid week. 

Those of you that got a buffer, how does it sound?  What are your thoughts?

In the photo, it looks like there's a couple of large regular Sonicaps, likely on output.  If Gary has your preamp right now, I'm thinking it's a perfect time to have him install some nice teflon bypass caps "at the factory"  :thumb:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #66 on: 18 Jan 2010, 08:27 pm »
In the photo, it looks like there's a couple of large regular Sonicaps, likely on output.  If Gary has your preamp right now, I'm thinking it's a perfect time to have him install some nice teflon bypass caps "at the factory"  :thumb:

Have you tried this?  How does it sound? 

Danny Richie

« Reply #67 on: 18 Jan 2010, 08:35 pm »
I think that they are already by-passed with Sonicap Platium's.

gld

• Industry Participant
« Reply #68 on: 18 Jan 2010, 08:50 pm »
Actually they are not bypassed. I thought I'd leave that to the customer. It will make improvements across the board. :thumb:
Gary

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #69 on: 18 Jan 2010, 08:56 pm »
Actually they are not bypassed. I thought I'd leave that to the customer. It will make improvements across the board. :thumb:
Gary

Now you tell me... :cry:

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #70 on: 18 Jan 2010, 09:02 pm »
Gary

Gary,
Ok, I wasn't going to say anything, but you advertised on your site that they WERE going to have sonicap platinum bypass caps. And I did notice they weren't there. And by your own admission they do improve the sound...

So are you willing to supply them to those that have bought this product?

Thanks,
-Tony

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #71 on: 18 Jan 2010, 09:52 pm »
I just looked at Gary's site and didn't see that.  What I saw was that Sonicaps were used and upgrades could be purchased.  Is there something about platinums I didn't see?

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #72 on: 18 Jan 2010, 09:56 pm »
It has since been amended... but I have put a copy of what it said when I ordered, and until recently, in my gallery for anyone to see.

google page cached
http://74.125.113.132/search?q=cache:f-rJ8Y_KHwIJ:doddaudio.com/BatteryPoweredTubeBufferPreamp.aspx+doddaudio.biz+buffer&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

gld

• Industry Participant
« Reply #73 on: 18 Jan 2010, 10:48 pm »
You are correct, it used to say bypassed with platinums. Since production started there have been no units shipped with bypass caps. And the website was changed only a week or so ago to say supplied with sonicaps, upgrades are available. I want to keep the costs low for everyone so I decided to not use the bypass caps as standard and let customers add whatever they desired if anything at all. For those who have received their buffer and would like to have the caps because when you ordered it , you read it would have them , I will be happy to send each of you a pair of platinums. That's the kind of guy I am, I want everyone with my gear to be happy and satisfied. :D
I know 3 guys who may want the caps, you let me know.
Gary

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #74 on: 18 Jan 2010, 10:56 pm »
You are correct, it used to say bypassed with platinums. Since production started there have been no units shipped with bypass caps. And the website was changed only a week or so ago to say supplied with sonicaps, upgrades are available. I want to keep the costs low for everyone so I decided to not use the bypass caps as standard and let customers add whatever they desired if anything at all. For those who have received their buffer and would like to have the caps because when you ordered it , you read it would have them , I will be happy to send each of you a pair of platinums. That's the kind of guy I am, I want everyone with my gear to be happy and satisfied. :D
I know 3 guys who may want the caps, you let me know.
Gary

What will change sonically?  Which cap are they (rating)?

gld

• Industry Participant
« Reply #75 on: 18 Jan 2010, 11:08 pm »
Believe me when I say that without them it is wonderful! When you add the caps it improves the smoothness and resolution from the mids thru the high's.
The caps are the platinum .01uf 2 required.
Gary

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #76 on: 18 Jan 2010, 11:09 pm »
Believe me when I say that without them it is wonderful! Gary

I know, I'm listening to one right NOW.   :thumb:

JoshK

« Reply #77 on: 18 Jan 2010, 11:10 pm »
IMHO, you need to offer a buffer preamp complete with remote volume, multiple inputs, HT bypass and integral power supply (or external by included).  The buffer idea is a great one, its all that is needed by 95% of audiophiles but too often the buffer solutions are lacking in needed options.  I'd never buy another preamp without remote volume, and I am young.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #78 on: 18 Jan 2010, 11:12 pm »
IMHO, you need to offer a buffer preamp complete with remote volume, multiple inputs, HT bypass and integral power supply (or external by included).  The buffer idea is a great one, its all that is needed by 95% of audiophiles but too often the buffer solutions are lacking in needed options.  I'd never buy another preamp without remote volume, and I am young.

Gary's buffer has three inputs, remote and I gladly paid extra but he added a tape loop for me.  Power supply?  It's battery operated and OFF THE GRID.   :green:

Danny Richie

« Reply #79 on: 18 Jan 2010, 11:15 pm »
Gary's buffer has three inputs, remote and I gladly paid extra but he added a tape loop for me.  Power supply?  It's battery operated and OFF THE GRID.   

Yep, pretty awesome huh.  :thumb: Why ruin a good thing by plugging it back into the grid?