Dodd Buffer

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Dodd Buffer
« Reply #40 on: 5 Jan 2010, 01:19 am »
Don't start dancing until you know it will survive the hands of UPS. ;)

Thanks for the jinx.  It's on the way back to the Dr...

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #41 on: 5 Jan 2010, 01:23 am »
Thanks for the jinx.  It's on the way back to the Dr...
Oooohhhhhh, nooooooooooooooooooooo!!!  What a bummer.  What happened?

Dave

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #42 on: 5 Jan 2010, 01:26 am »
Oooohhhhhh, nooooooooooooooooooooo!!!  What a bummer.  What happened?

Dave

Must have been dropped and it hit the volume control knob so hard it cracked the volume pot housing.  What does that equal?  NO SOUND!!!!

TrungT

« Reply #43 on: 5 Jan 2010, 01:51 am »
That's "Suck" :evil:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #44 on: 9 Jan 2010, 01:41 am »
Gary has my buffer and will fix it this weekend.  I should have it back mid week. 

Those of you that got a buffer, how does it sound?  What are your thoughts?

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #45 on: 9 Jan 2010, 01:56 am »
Gary has my buffer and will fix it this weekend.  I should have it back mid week. 

Those of you that got a buffer, how does it sound?  What are your thoughts?
There has been a major conspiracy against me getting frre time this week and I STILL have not gotten to it.  Hopefully tomorrow, as long as my in-laws don't have iny more plumbing problems.

Dave

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #46 on: 9 Jan 2010, 02:00 am »
Well I had it running on a power supply for a while, but now it's finally on a battery.  I can't tell how good it is because I have nothing here to compare with it.  But for the purposes I needed it(controlling ob subs) it is working very well. I haven't found any downside to it yet. Do wish it had some kind of indicator that the unit was on... I worry that I have forgotten to turn it off and that i am going to ruin the battery.

I do have a good testing situation in the works though and should be able to tell how well it stacks up against some reputable gear in a couple of weeks aa

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #47 on: 9 Jan 2010, 03:14 am »
Do wish it had some kind of indicator that the unit was on...

The two bulbs inside that glow orange are usually a good sign.   :rotflmao:

TRADERXFAN

• GALLERY
« Reply #48 on: 9 Jan 2010, 04:08 am »
 :o

Maybe a little peek from the front would help on that

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #49 on: 9 Jan 2010, 04:30 am »
My Dodd battery pre has an on light and a low battery warning.  But it also listed for $2200 more than the current price for the new variation.  From what Gary told me, the new one has almost all the qualities of the older version, but just doesn't have the active gain.  Remember that it was built to a price point.  If you really need a battery light, I bet Gary would be happy to install one for a very reasonable amount.

TRADERXFAN

• GALLERY
« Reply #50 on: 9 Jan 2010, 04:45 am »
Oh I wasn't trying to nitpick...
Just making conversation.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #51 on: 9 Jan 2010, 05:46 am »
No, actually you have a good point.  I occasionally do leave my unit on only to hear the beeping low battery alarm- in spite of having an "on" light.  I think it might be worth a few extra bucks to see if Gary can easily install an led for you. I guarantee that it would pay for itself in battery savings over a few years.

Danny Richie

« Reply #52 on: 9 Jan 2010, 02:20 pm »
My chrager doesn't add any noise so I leave it plugged in all the time. It will top the batteries off as fast as the tubes can drain it so the batteries never run down.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #53 on: 9 Jan 2010, 02:36 pm »
My chrager doesn't add any noise so I leave it plugged in all the time. It will top the batteries off as fast as the tubes can drain it so the batteries never run down.

Yes, you leave it hookeup on the battery all the time but unplug for critical listening.  right?  Leaving it connected and plugged in all the time (for critical listening) would defeat the purpose of being "off the grid".

Danny Richie

« Reply #54 on: 9 Jan 2010, 02:44 pm »
For me, it depends on what cycle the charger is in. If the batteries are run down a long way then it hits a cycle that can be heard. Most of the time though it is dead quiet. You have to remember too that I use two 100 amp hour batteries. So it takes a LONG time to discharge them even a little bit.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #55 on: 9 Jan 2010, 02:47 pm »
For me, it depends on what cycle the charger is in. If the batteries are run down a long way then it hits a cycle that can be heard. Most of the time though it is dead quiet. You have to remember too that I use two 100 amp hour batteries. So it takes a LONG time to discharge them even a little bit.

Umm.  The C Tek chargers do pulse....If they are charged up then yes on 200 AH batteries you have nothing to worry about.  I still have to imagine there is some noise though, the question is can it be heard?  Prob not!

Danny Richie

« Reply #56 on: 9 Jan 2010, 02:56 pm »
I can crank the volume on 97db sensitivity speakers, with no signal running through them, and can't hear anything plugging the charger in or out in the first stage or pulse mod that it has.

And I have to crank it for a long time to get it out of that stage (all day long and then some).

Then if I were to have it unplugged, and I did leave the buffer on, then it might take a week to run it down to 11 volts. Batteries are cheap. My two 100 amp hour batteries cost about the same as one good power cable.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #57 on: 9 Jan 2010, 02:58 pm »
I can crank the volume on 97db sensitivity speakers, with no signal running through them, and can't hear anything plugging the charger in or out in the first stage or pulse mod that it has.

And I have to crank it for a long time to get it out of that stage (all day long and then some).

Then if I were to have it unplugged, and I did leave the buffer on, then it might take a week to run it down to 11 volts. Batteries are cheap. My two 100 amp hour batteries cost about the same as one good power cable.

OK.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #58 on: 17 Jan 2010, 02:36 am »
My buffer is back and working.  UPS did a great job this time.   :thumb:

The extra packing Gary did worked as well.   :thumb:

:banana piano:

Danny Richie

« Reply #59 on: 17 Jan 2010, 02:45 am »
That's great. You are in for a lot of good times ahead now.

You are becoming a regular member of the click here now, and the quality of your system is moving up and leaps and bounds.

Next I'll have to send you various cables and stuff to try.  :wink: