Piano Black Finish

Joe_K

Piano Black Finish
« on: 8 Dec 2009, 02:43 am »
My PB sub got scratched / scuffed  on the base near the corner. Is there any way to touch this up?  I'm thinking a sharpie could mask it?
Thanks,
Joe

Mike Dzurko

Re: Piano Black Finish
« Reply #1 on: 8 Dec 2009, 03:01 pm »
Joe:

A sharpie actually does a pretty good job with small scratches :)

srb

« Reply #2 on: 8 Dec 2009, 03:14 pm »
I have had some decent results using fine automotive polish on scuffed and scratched piano black.

Steve

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #3 on: 8 Dec 2009, 08:05 pm »
I have had some decent results using fine automotive polish on scuffed and scratched piano black.

Steve

Steve:

Very true. Many Piano Black finishes are actually automotive finishes and can be repaired and cared for in the same manner . . .

Joe_K

« Reply #4 on: 14 Dec 2009, 12:13 am »

I hope I uploaded this correctly?
Anyway, it's more than a scratch, a chip or? I still may be best off using a sharpie? I'm just hoping for other ideas before I do that.
I don't even know what happened, someone must have scuffed it w/ their shoe when I had it out like an end table? I've since moved it!
JK

srb

« Reply #5 on: 14 Dec 2009, 12:46 am »
Anyway, it's more than a scratch, a chip or? I still may be best off using a sharpie? I'm just hoping for other ideas before I do that.

It looks worse than I imagined, although maybe the camera is exaggerating it a little?  I would still first polish it with the automotive polish.  It may take 3 or 4 applications to accomplish whatever it can.  Then after thoroughly cleaning off all polish residue, I would use the Sharpie.

Other than that, the only total solution is to sand and repaint.

Steve

dorokusai

• Polk Audio Customer Service
    • Polk Audio
« Reply #6 on: 14 Dec 2009, 01:38 am »
That's the worst thing when it comes to piano gloss finishes. I'm not sure how you recover from that with getting the whole piece redone. I use Meguiar's ScratchX although your issue is beyond any help I could offer.

Mark

Joe_K

« Reply #7 on: 17 Dec 2009, 10:03 pm »
Thanks Guys,

It was heartbreaking to see the damage. I'll try a little polishing and the Sharpie.

I guess if I ever have the bottom plate off I could turn it 180 and it wouldn't show.

Joe

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #8 on: 18 Dec 2009, 03:02 pm »
Joe:

That's what I'd do. Flip it over, remove four screws, rotate, and five minutes later it's all good  :D

Thanks Guys,

It was heartbreaking to see the damage. I'll try a little polishing and the Sharpie.

I guess if I ever have the bottom plate off I could turn it 180 and it wouldn't show.

Joe

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #9 on: 18 Dec 2009, 04:39 pm »
Greetings,
 If it is gloss plack, the best way to touch it up would be with high gloss black finger nail polish. Let it dry good, add another coat and you can even sand it with some 1000 grit and polish it up nicely. If you need to, apply a little automotive glazing putty first.
 With some patience, you can easily repair these to a point where one would never know it was there.

Joe_K

« Reply #10 on: 23 Dec 2009, 09:42 pm »
Greetings,
 If it is gloss plack, the best way to touch it up would be with high gloss black finger nail polish. Let it dry good, add another coat and you can even sand it with some 1000 grit and polish it up nicely. If you need to, apply a little automotive glazing putty first.
 With some patience, you can easily repair these to a point where one would never know it was there.
Thanks Bill,
I'll have to get some nail polish!
Joe