$1000 pair speakers ?

SWG255

$1000 pair speakers ?
« Reply #20 on: 14 Jan 2004, 10:16 pm »
Let us know how you like the VS VR-1s when you get them. My local VMPS dealer also likes them. He says they're the only Von Schweikert speaker he can consistently sell when compared to a comparably priced VMPS model, which probably means the non-ribbon VMPS bookshelf speakers.  If you like them and feel they're a little bass-shy, a good subwoofer will be a nice upgrade path for you too.

Quote from: drunkonjack
I decided to go with a pair of Von Schweikert vr1. $700 new delievered Fealt I could'nt go wrong. I have read good things about these and at that price, bang for the buck value counts for something. I can always go better later and use these in second room.

drunkonjack

$1000 pair speakers ?
« Reply #21 on: 14 Jan 2004, 10:57 pm »
I will let you know how I like them. I know I like the Aerial model 5 and I've heard people compare them to those. now I'm looking for some good stands around the $200 range. anyone know where a good place to get a pair fast.

drunkonjack

$1000 pair speakers ?
« Reply #22 on: 15 Jan 2004, 01:31 am »
Is it better to buy a pair of stands that I can fill with sand ? And does this really work ?

John Casler

$1000 pair speakers ?
« Reply #23 on: 15 Jan 2004, 01:37 am »
Is it better to buy a pair of stands that I can fill with sand ? And does this really work ?

I bought a pair of sand-fillable stands for my 626Rs and the difference between filled and not filled was night and day.

hectic1

$1000 pair speakers ?
« Reply #24 on: 15 Jan 2004, 02:18 am »
Congrats on the Von Schweikerts....I had a pair of these at my house a couple months ago and they definitely need a good 50 to 100 hours for them to come into their own. The first time I heard them they were extremely thin and bright...they had about 2 hours on them... I heard them a second time and they had about 25 to 30 hours on them and they had definitely lost some to the brightness however the bass was still lacking at little. I guess as they say, the third time is the charm as I heard a pair with a couple hundred hours on them and they were a very nice sounding speaker...Definitely one of my favorite $700-800 speakers...Let us know what you think when you get some hours on them! :cool:

Carlman

$1000 pair speakers ?
« Reply #25 on: 15 Jan 2004, 02:38 am »
Quote from: John Casler

I bought a pair of sand-fillable stands for my 626Rs and the difference between filled and not filled was night and day.

I bought a pair of these SKylans per Casler's advice and am very pleased.... especially after filling them with about 60 lbs. of play sand.  The 28" 2-post type stands were $200 shipped and I was very happy with the service and the product.  I think 24" would've been high enough, though.  Let me know if you need measurements from tweeter to floor.

-C

drunkonjack

$1000 pair speakers ?
« Reply #26 on: 15 Jan 2004, 03:46 am »
Well I purchased a pair of Sound Organisations from Audio Advisor. Seemed like a good stand that I can fill at about 24'' tall. How would you recommend breaking in these speakers fast . Should I just let my dd player repeat when I'm away and should I use many types of music to do so ?

Carlman

$1000 pair speakers ?
« Reply #27 on: 15 Jan 2004, 03:49 am »
Well I purchased a pair of Sound Organisations from Audio Advisor. Seemed like a good stand that I can fill at about 24'' tall. How would you recommend breaking in these speakers fast . Should I just let my dd player repeat when I'm away and should I use many types of music to do so ?

Cool 24" should work well.  As to break-in, I think Rusted Root's 'When I woke' CD played repetitively at a good volume should do the trick.

You want dynamic and loud for a faster break-in.  If you play folk music at low volume, you'll have about a 1000 hour break-in.  

If you have a tuner, leaving the radio on all the time is convenient.  Otherwise, repeating CD's is good.

Brian Bunge

$1000 pair speakers ?
« Reply #28 on: 15 Jan 2004, 03:58 am »
A "semi-local" guy brought his VR-1's by the shop yesterday when he was picking up a pair of my little Micros for his office system.  We listened to the VR-1's for about 10 minutes and I was very impressed with the sound of them, especially based on what he paid for them.  Great little speakers with a very nice finish.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
$1000 pair speakers ?
« Reply #29 on: 15 Jan 2004, 09:24 am »
Here's a review of the VR-1 speakers... http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/vonschweikert_vr1.htm . :)