USB DAC suggestions please.

trianglezerius

Re: USB DAC suggestions please.
« Reply #40 on: 20 Dec 2009, 08:32 pm »
I second Danny's recommendation of the Tranquility DAC (www.dbaudiolabs.com) because its a very serious product. It beats up the more costly DAC's such as the Wavelength, Berkley, and others.

Check out my review here on Audio Circle: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=74816.0

And another guy's review can be found on Audiogon here: http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/frr.pl?rdgtl&1260416833&read&3&4&

Tom

srb

« Reply #41 on: 20 Dec 2009, 08:59 pm »
I second Danny's recommendation of the Tranquility DAC because its a very serious product. It beats up the more costly DAC's such as the Wavelength, Berkley, and others.

I read the Audiogon review, and the reviewer felt the Tranquility was a "tad bit" better than the Berkeley.  But you say it "beats up" the Berkeley.

I'm sure once you pass this single heresay review around the campfire, in the end it will have definitively "kicked the living crap out of it", "smoked it" and "left it in the dust".

Steve

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #42 on: 20 Dec 2009, 09:13 pm »
Steve, why the combative response?  I don't get it.   :scratch:

He actually said "beats up more costly dac's" out there, it seems you are overemphasizing his remark. Why so negative on this?

-Tony
I second Danny's recommendation of the Tranquility DAC because its a very serious product. It beats up the more costly DAC's such as the Wavelength, Berkley, and others.

I read the Audiogon review, and the reviewer felt the Tranquility was a "tad bit" better than the Berkeley.  But you say it "beats up" the Berkeley.

I'm sure once you pass this single heresay review around the campfire, in the end it will have definitively "kicked the living crap out of it", "smoked it" and "left it in the dust".

Steve

srb

« Reply #43 on: 20 Dec 2009, 09:22 pm »
Being a "tad bit" better is a close subjective preference call and a far cry from "beats up" a competitor.

Since there are only a few reviews at this point, it's better to avoid blanket statements until a reasonable number of units can make their way into systems and be evaluated by more people.  It's just a little premature, and no one knows right now who is a shill and who isn't.

It may turn out to be the product of the year, but let's give it a chance to be evaluated by the many rather than the few.

Steve

« Last Edit: 21 Dec 2009, 01:28 am by srb »

stump4545

« Reply #44 on: 20 Dec 2009, 09:52 pm »
how about the bel canto 3 dac vs. db audio tranquility dac?

trianglezerius

« Reply #45 on: 20 Dec 2009, 10:21 pm »

Steve

I'm just enthusiastic about audio and want to share with people my findings. Why is that so wrong?

kingdeezie

« Reply #46 on: 20 Dec 2009, 11:51 pm »
I don't think there is anything wrong with enthusiastically recommending a component at all.

The problem is that, one review on Audiogon doesn't constitute the ground for all the hyperbole.

There is no doubt that the Tranquility DAC is likely a fine DAC, and don't get me wrong, I have spoken with Eric, and I have a deposit on one as we speak, but can we really believe that this can compete with the BADA?

The BADA retails for 5K, and is believed to be a BARGIN at ITS price point, as well as a revolutionary product in its own right.

Ultimately, this DAC might be the DAC to beat in its price point for sure; but setting realistic expectations is key to satisfaction. 

trianglezerius

« Reply #47 on: 21 Dec 2009, 12:04 am »
I don't think there is anything wrong with enthusiastically recommending a component at all.

The problem is that, one review on Audiogon doesn't constitute the ground for all the hyperbole.

There is no doubt that the Tranquility DAC is likely a fine DAC, and don't get me wrong, I have spoken with Eric, and I have a deposit on one as we speak, but can we really believe that this can compete with the BADA?

The BADA retails for 5K, and is believed to be a BARGIN at ITS price point, as well as a revolutionary product in its own right.

Ultimately, this DAC might be the DAC to beat in its price point for sure; but setting realistic expectations is key to satisfaction. 

Didn't the Audiogon review point out it beat out the Berkley DAC (at $4k)? Why wouldn't it give the Bada a run for its money especially when the Berkley is one of the best DAC's at its price point? So I am being realistic not negative.

srb

« Reply #48 on: 21 Dec 2009, 01:17 am »
The BADA is the Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC.

Steve

kingdeezie

« Reply #49 on: 21 Dec 2009, 01:32 am »
I don't really want to completely derail this thread; but that ONE review does not constitute it as legitimate competition for the Berkley Audio DAC.

The problem with trusting internet reviews is that we have no clue about that person's references, system, or intent in posting the review. I have read people say that Emotiva makes amplifiers that are equal to amplifiers from Mcintosh, Odyssey, and Krell; if you have ever heard an Emotiva next to one of these other amplifiers you would certainly think differently.

Like I said, I am totally open to trying this DAC, and have ordered one myself, but I don't harbor delusions that it can compete with a DAC that costs almost 4 times its price; let alone beat it up.

I listen to music mostly through my analog setup, and just want something nice enough to listen to when I am having a lazy I-dont-want-to-change-records day. 

trianglezerius

« Reply #50 on: 21 Dec 2009, 01:50 am »
I don't really want to completely derail this thread; but that ONE review does not constitute it as legitimate competition for the Berkley Audio DAC.

The problem with trusting internet reviews is that we have no clue about that person's references, system, or intent in posting the review. I have read people say that Emotiva makes amplifiers that are equal to amplifiers from Mcintosh, Odyssey, and Krell; if you have ever heard an Emotiva next to one of these other amplifiers you would certainly think differently.

Like I said, I am totally open to trying this DAC, and have ordered one myself, but I don't harbor delusions that it can compete with a DAC that costs almost 4 times its price; let alone beat it up.

I listen to music mostly through my analog setup, and just want something nice enough to listen to when I am having a lazy I-dont-want-to-change-records day.

True we will keep this debate for another thread and I'd be curious to read your thoughts and comments after you get the Tranquility.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #51 on: 21 Dec 2009, 05:45 am »
Please stay on track guys.....thank you.  :thumb:

As for the dB Audio Tranquility dac....I did have a chance to hear it in Danny's system at RMAF '09....the system sounded very good....in total.

K Shep

« Reply #52 on: 22 Dec 2009, 11:24 pm »
My unbiased vote, Ayre QB-9.