Power conditioners vs. computer UPS

lupodwdm21

Power conditioners vs. computer UPS
« on: 24 Nov 2009, 07:25 pm »
I was looking into getting a power conditioner for my system.  The PS audio power plant looked very good but it is a bit pricey @ $1600.  After reading the technical specs of the unit I am wondering if there is any difference between a unit like the PS audio power plant and a good quality UPS from APC? 

The PS unit handles 1500w as does the APC.  Both regenerate the AC except the PS audio does not have a battery included.  (That is another $900)

It looks like if I combine the power plant with their optional 1500 battery I get the same thing as an APC 1500 UPS except I save more than $1K.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?  Would a good quality UPS perform the same?

anodyne

Re: Power conditioners vs. computer UPS
« Reply #1 on: 24 Nov 2009, 07:59 pm »
I've been debating the same thing for a little while.  Don't have money to pull the trigger on either right now when facing unemployment.  You should check out this thread from a little while back over in The Lab.  Several guys there have Lieberts and really like them.  Apparently they can be found used on E-bay for not too much.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=70904.0

richidoo

« Reply #2 on: 24 Nov 2009, 08:24 pm »
I like transformer conditioners best, like BPT, Equitech or Torus.

Jon L

« Reply #3 on: 24 Nov 2009, 09:38 pm »
See here for some great deals on refurbished "double conversion true on-line" UPS:

http://www.upsforless.com/doubleconversionupss-1.aspx

You do not want the run-of-the-mill "UPS," so make sure you get the variety mentioned, which regenerates a pure sine-wave 24/7 from battery, no matter whether the unit is plugged in or not.  Most "UPS" you see are not regenerating sine-waves when plugged into the wall.

I use one of the Liebert units, which sounds fantastic, especially after a couple of mods, including some good power outlets.  Many others come with non-replaceable outlets, so be aware.  Basically all of the true on-line UPS's have noisy fans in them, so make sure to change them for quiet PC fans like Nexus.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #4 on: 6 Dec 2009, 07:22 pm »
Ahhh, a subject near and dear to my heart. I'm a little late to the party, but also have a Liebert.
So, what did "lupodwdm21" end up doing?

Bob

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #5 on: 6 Dec 2009, 07:30 pm »
I plug my HTPC directly into my 2400watt BPT. For awhile I did have an OneAC UPS w/conditioning but I found little need for the UPS and I feel that my music actually sounds cleaner & clearer thru the BPT. To be clear, everything (no exceptions!) in my music/home theater system is tied to both my BPT which is fed from a UberBuss to my dedicated circuit. It's how I roll.  8)

Cheers,
Robin

JDUBS

« Reply #6 on: 6 Dec 2009, 09:35 pm »
Jon L., can you expand on the mods you did for your Liebert?  I've got one too (1500va model), and really like it.  I run mine from the wall into a 3kva balanced power transformer.  Works awesome for my front end stuff.

-Jim

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 6 Dec 2009, 09:40 pm »
Jim, did you get the fans?

JDUBS

« Reply #8 on: 6 Dec 2009, 09:43 pm »
Yep, got the fans (Nexus), Bob.  They are a definite must do with the Liebert UPSs as they are REALLY loud with the stock fans!

-Jim

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 6 Dec 2009, 09:49 pm »
Yip...Like a couple of hairdryers.  :duh:
Sorry for the crappy memory, but the Nexus fans, are those the units that Frank told us about?

Bob

JDUBS

« Reply #10 on: 6 Dec 2009, 09:57 pm »
Exact ones Frank linked to.  Very easy replacement and super quiet!

-Jim

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 6 Dec 2009, 11:51 pm »
Yip, those are very cool. I really like how the mounting point is rubber while the structure of the fan is separate, and of a different material. These are amazingly quite fans.

Ok....Where's our original poster?

Bob

Jon L

« Reply #12 on: 7 Dec 2009, 05:30 am »
Jon L., can you expand on the mods you did for your Liebert?  I've got one too (1500va model), and really like it.  I run mine from the wall into a 3kva balanced power transformer.  Works awesome for my front end stuff.

-Jim

Nothing major.  Along with the Nexus fan, I also added a fan controller to run the Nexus fan even slower for even less noise. 

It's also worth it to replace the stock outlets with better ones.  I currently have ACME cryo outlets and Synergistic Teslaplex in there to get different flavors.  Most other on-line, double-conversion UPS's do not have replaceable outlets, which is why I like Liebert.   

carl_lazlo

« Reply #13 on: 8 Dec 2009, 05:30 pm »
I was looking at this one:

http://www.upsforless.com/liegxt21500rt.aspx

Will this UPS work for me?  What mods do I have to do to this to get the unit to be more quiet?

Jon L

« Reply #14 on: 8 Dec 2009, 07:42 pm »
I was looking at this one:

http://www.upsforless.com/liegxt21500rt.aspx

Will this UPS work for me?  What mods do I have to do to this to get the unit to be more quiet?

Luckily, the Liebert units have only one fan internally.  The stock fan is meant to blow VERY hard for industrial use, so it must be changed with something quiet such as this 80 mm Nexus Fan.

http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/std/sku=nexus80mm

Since I sometimes use open headphones sitting close, I even added a Zalman Fanmate II fan speed controller to get it even quieter. 

http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/std/sku=fanmate2

If I recall correctly, the fan connector on the Liebert is the small 2-pin type, not the bigger ones that come with most quiet fans and controller.  You have to cut off the connector on the fan cable and solder to pins on the Liebert, or steal a small 2-pin connector from old fans laying around and solder it to the fan cable...

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 8 Dec 2009, 08:13 pm »
My Liebert (GTX-2000) has two fans, one front, one rear.
Some have three fans.

Bob

Jon L

« Reply #16 on: 8 Dec 2009, 08:27 pm »
My Liebert (GTX-2000) has two fans, one front, one rear.
Some have three fans.

Bob

Hmm, I guess the bigger units have multiple fans.  Boy, those must be even louder. 

Anyway, 3-pin to 2-pin adapters do exist..
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=289&products_id=3596&zenid=20f9c9db922c03da4b6c55d2c42d71d7

Frank S.

« Reply #17 on: 8 Dec 2009, 08:52 pm »
Love the Liebert............mine has three fans and after replacing them the noise level is more than acceptable.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 8 Dec 2009, 08:57 pm »
Frank is awesome.  8)

carl_lazlo

« Reply #19 on: 18 Dec 2009, 02:32 am »
Jon L, I bought the same unit as you and it arrived today.  The fan is very loud.  What do you think of this fan I found:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=36_37&products_id=24641

Do you think it is any more quiet than the nexus you linked or will the nexus be enough?  I will be sitting about 10ft from it.

Can I replace the outlets with the good 20A hospital grade outlets from home depot? 

Is there anything strange I need to know before I open the unit or is it pretty straight forward?  If I get the 3-2 adapter is the new fan pretty much plug and play?

Thx.