Robert's 3-way Veracity HTC

jsalk

Robert's 3-way Veracity HTC
« on: 24 Nov 2009, 04:39 pm »
Robert wanted a full Veracity home theater system built around the HT3's.  But he really wanted a 3-way center channel and we didn't have one at the time.  So while we were building his other speakers (which can be seen here http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=72060.0), we started work on a 3-way center channel to match.

Here is a picture of the results...

At first, we tried to design it such that the crossover in the woofer cabinet would simply pass on the signal to a standard HTC center channel.  That would allow anyone to upgrade to this format.  But that did not turn out to be the best way to go.  So we did a full 3-way with a dedicated 3-way crossover.

Happy listening Robert!

- Jim
« Last Edit: 25 Nov 2009, 03:29 am by jsalk »

sfox7076

Re: Robert's 3-way Verqacity HTC
« Reply #1 on: 24 Nov 2009, 04:45 pm »
Wow.  I have never seen anything like that.  Bravo Jim.  Too bad it will shake the TV off the wall...

revrob

« Reply #2 on: 24 Nov 2009, 06:38 pm »
Good grief! That's amazing. A center channel on steroids.

Jim, you have outdone yourself. I bet it sound amazing too. You could hook up an ipod and have the world biggest boom box. I'm impressed!

Marbles

« Reply #3 on: 24 Nov 2009, 07:06 pm »
Jim, that looks great, but why didn't he simply get another HT3 for center channel?

Thanks

jsalk

« Reply #4 on: 24 Nov 2009, 07:50 pm »
Marbles -

Jim, that looks great, but why didn't he simply get another HT3 for center channel?

Thanks

He was using a LCD monitor and had some built-in cabinetry to deal with.  So the HT3 wouldn't work.  We designed this so the woofer (down-firing port) will fit under a shelf and the HTC cabinet will fit on the shelf just above it and just below his TV.  It was the only way we could do a 3-way center in his application.

- Jim

Mudslide

« Reply #5 on: 25 Nov 2009, 12:35 am »
That is way cool, Jim.  But if you look at it through squinted eyes, you'd swear it was a cute little fellow that came out of a Pixar movie.   :D 

Excellent work, as usual.

funkmonkey

« Reply #6 on: 25 Nov 2009, 02:47 am »
agreed...  this is really cool.  It did make me wonder if Robert is using a sub, or would he even want one at all.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #7 on: 25 Nov 2009, 03:19 am »
agreed...  this is really cool.  It did make me wonder if Robert is using a sub, or would he even want one at all.

That's what puzzled me as well.  When Jim asked me to do a crossover for this design, I wasn't quite sure what the point was if a sub was going to be in play.  I guess maybe this approach allows a very low crossover point to the sub, and maybe that has audible benefits.  I really don't know.   But I did like the result operating on its own.  Unfortunately, I never got a chance to compare this configuration with a standard HT3, because I had to borrow the HT3 woofer to do the design. 

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #8 on: 25 Nov 2009, 03:22 am »
Now that's an interesting concept. Gives new meaning to full range center. Looks stunning as always Jim :thumb:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #9 on: 25 Nov 2009, 03:36 am »
I'm sorta surprised for the need of this design as I've always been led to believe there are minimal low frequencies even available for the center channel, who's main function is vocal reproduction. Now I know little about HD-Rez, Blue-Ray, etc but even with that musical multichannel format, I'm curious if there's actually a need for a center channel speaker with bass.  :scratch: 

It is a mighty impresssive looking center channel loudspeaker Jim,,,, sweet eye candy as usual.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

bryede

Re: Robert's 3-way Veracity HTC
« Reply #10 on: 29 Nov 2009, 05:17 am »
I immediately thought of the old Polk Monitor 10 (but of course, the big cone is a passive radiator). :D

ralfale

« Reply #11 on: 29 Nov 2009, 06:52 am »
Pardon my limited knowledge. Does a 3 way center provides deeper male voice in a movie? What is the significant advantage of doing a 3 way in HT purposes?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #12 on: 29 Nov 2009, 03:07 pm »
I'm sorta surprised for the need of this design as I've always been led to believe there are minimal low frequencies even available for the center channel, who's main function is vocal reproduction. Now I know little about HD-Rez, Blue-Ray, etc but even with that musical multichannel format, I'm curious if there's actually a need for a center channel speaker with bass.  :scratch: 

It is a mighty impresssive looking center channel loudspeaker Jim,,,, sweet eye candy as usual.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

In the Hi-Rez world, you absolutely get full range signals sent to the center and surround channels.

George

jsalk

« Reply #13 on: 29 Nov 2009, 03:23 pm »
Pardon my limited knowledge. Does a 3 way center provides deeper male voice in a movie? What is the significant advantage of doing a 3 way in HT purposes?

A normal 2-way center channel can certainly handle any male voice, so there wouldn't be any difference there.  For dialogue, the only difference a 3-way could make is perhaps keeping midrange distortion low at high volumes since the W18's are not called upon to do bass duties.

But dialogue is not the only thing a center channel is called upon to do.  They also reproduce sound effects that are centered on the screen.  So there is a school of thought that says the center channel is the most important speaker in an HT set-up and should be as capable or more capable than the left and right mains. 

In this case, Robert was using HT3's for the left and right mains and wanted to make sure the center channel was their equal. Since he could not use a third HT3, we designed this speaker for him.

Personally, I have never felt the need for this type of center channel.  But when we began working on our soon-to-be-released HT4's (name to be released soon as well), Sam, one of our associates, decided to replace his home theater speakers.  Sam is into home theater in a big way and thought that HT4's across the front would result in the best HT set-up on the planet.  So he is in the process of building two regular HT4's for the left and right mains and a special version for the center channel.  I'll post pictures when he finishes...should be incredible!

- Jim

Mudslide

« Reply #14 on: 29 Nov 2009, 09:07 pm »

Sam is into home theater in a big way and thought that HT4's across the front would result in the best HT set-up on the planet.  So he is in the process of building two regular HT4's for the left and right mains and a special version for the center channel.  I'll post pictures when he finishes...should be incredible!

- Jim

:drool:

Never before have I been so tempted to commit burglary!   :lol:  Goodness, Sam.  Congrats.  I'll bring the popcorn if you put on any movie of your choosing for me and the missus. 

Shall he use HT3's for surrounds?   :green:

srb

« Reply #15 on: 29 Nov 2009, 09:15 pm »
Shall he use HT3's for surrounds?   :green:

He may want to also play high res 5 channel music.  HT4's all around for everyone!

Steve

ralfale

« Reply #16 on: 29 Nov 2009, 11:44 pm »
Thank you.

HT4 looks really delicious now  :thumb: