Adjustable height stands?

bmckenney

Adjustable height stands?
« on: 18 Nov 2009, 04:21 pm »
I am looking to add some diffusers to my front wall and I need to hide them when not listening.  So I need them to be easy enough to move.  And I think it might be advantageous to have adjustable height as well because I would to raise them up 1.5 feet, then lower down and store when not in use.   I know about the Real Traps diffusers and stands, but I don't think I can afford their diffusers.  The cost would be $1200 for a pair compared to 2 pairs of the D1's at $400.  After recent bass traps purchases, I don't have the funds to splurge, as much as I would like to because they look very kewl!

So I am thinking of getting GIK D1 diffusers and mounting them on a lightweight panel, two per panel.  I imagine I could use the Real Traps stands with this design too, but I'd like to find a more affordable solution (two RT stands would cost around $200 shipped).  The D1 diffusers are very light, 9 lbs a pair.  Add a rigid but light wood panel for mounting the D1s, so maybe total weight is about 12-15 pounds each side.

Any affordable suggestions for adjustable stands that I could secure to a wood panel? 

Bryan

Big Red Machine

Re: Adjustable height stands?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Nov 2009, 04:27 pm »
Hang them on the wall?

Buy some small footprint tripods?

Two on a single panel is a great start.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #2 on: 18 Nov 2009, 05:48 pm »
Check your local Craigslist for photo studio backdrop paper stands with the paper support pole.  The stands should go to from 4-8 ft in height and have a small folding tripod base.  Keep the support pole to sell later on with the set.

They come up for sale fairly often as lots of people decide they want to be "pro" photographers, then realize they don't know what they got into and sell the gear fairly cheap.  The whole set should be (well) under $100, and you'll always be able to recoup your money.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #3 on: 18 Nov 2009, 07:48 pm »
You could also likely rig something to a microphone stand - or an artists easel (sp?). 

Bryan